Moblie - How is the Cornwall review coming along?

eq_shadimar

Humm well the rebuild is currently on hold for a week or two until I get some more funds and do a bit more research on the tubes. I have a very good friend who is helping me find a good source for quality and pricing on tubes and cap etc.. He used to work for Cary Audio so he has tons of contacts.

I have used it a bit but it is acting very strange so I don't destroy it any further.

Laters,

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

Well, I got a great jump out of the gate with that review, but stalled a bit. I have a ton of text with great graphics and a nice layout but need to edit the beast in a serious way before putting it up. Actually, I should have never mentioned it before getting it done.

On the other hand, I hope to have the below info in there eventually, and would love some assistance from someone that actually KNOWS FOR SURE since I have read conflicting comments for so long now.

- What were the exact years in the Cornwall production

that the drivers changed and what were the specific

changes? I want to make a chart with the times they

changed between version I and II, the vert horns,

the Alnico drivers, and the variuos incarnations of

other drivers/woofers. I think this needs to be put

down somewhere... I will give credit where credit is

due here. I am wondering if anyone has DEFINITE

answers here.... because there are sure many out there!

I expect to get this page up within the next few weeks if lucky.

kh

mobile,

I admire your resolve for taking on such a daunting task as chronicling the evolution and sonic merits of the Cornwall. It is certainly a great Klisch speaker, and one model that has experienced numerous changes during its production run. As Randy implied, there are many of us who have fragmented info we've pieced together over the years, but Klipsch should be the authoritative source for the in-depth review you're developing. I have fairly decent copies of Klipsch Vertical Cornwall II info that I can send, if you're interested. Also have original copy of Klipsch Heritage Series Installation Manual for my 1985 Cornwall I's as well. Willing to assist any way I can.

Much success!

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 12-01-2001 at 12:57 PM

Randy, I've been meaning to write you back but have been embroiled in a first time home purchase which has turned into a horrifying multiple bidder quagmire. It wouldnt be quite so troubling if we werent currently RENTING the place and attempting to keep the owner from selling it our from under us... Selah.

I agree with you and Wes about the info being a tenuous hold at best with the many users putting together the sporadic details. Count myself as one of them as I have been trying to piece this whole mess together as well. I have a rough idea but the exact dates and details appear to be up for debate.

I am wondering if anyone currently at Klipsch would have all this information as well seeing as how the site doesnt even seem to be correct.

Wes, I would love a scan or whatever of your manual. I actually have a original heavy paper brochure from the mid 70s. It is 11 pages and covers all the models including Klipschorn, Belle Klipsch, Cornwall, Heresy, and La Scala. It also goes into the Klipsch philosophy as well as the theory of horns and corner loading, and the optimum positions for the various speakers. I plan on scanning that as well.

Any and all info appreciated....especially if it is right!

Kelly

kelly,

do you plan to make the brochure you've mentioned available on this board? I -and I'm sure many more people out here- would certainly like to know more about all Klipsch heritage speakers. So if you or anybody else works on such a project please let us know.

Thanks a lot for your effort.

Wolfram

------------------

Without music colour becomes pallor, man becomes carcass, home becomes catacomb - Edgar Allan Poe

system:

1973 Khorns with ALK crossovers

REL Stadium II sub

Cayin 743 D integrated tube amp

McIntosh Mc 2105

McIntosh C 29

McIntosh MR 77

McIntosh MCD 7007

Thorens 520S

SME 3012-R

Ortofon SPU Classic GM E

Cyrus aEQ 7 phono stage with PSX-R power supply

Alternative speakers:

Quad ESL 63

mobile (or is it kelly?),

well, I just didn't want to take things for granted - or put it down as a lack of imagination on my partRedface.gif

The integrated is pure magic - now I can understand what you've written about horns and tube gear.

My 'new' NOS 6SN7 and &DJ8 have certainly created more transparency, a more spacious sound picture (though I still have doubts about the 6SN7 - after all I don't really know which brand they are.). So I might continue searching when funds allow it.

Wolfram

------------------

Without music colour becomes pallor, man becomes carcass, home becomes catacomb - Edgar Allan Poe

system:

REL Stadium II sub

McIntosh Mc 2105

McIntosh C 29

McIntosh MR 77

McIntosh MCD 7007

Thorens 520S

SME 3012-R

Ortofon SPU Classic GM E

Alternative speakers:

Quad ESL 63

Good 6SN7s can make a HUGE differnce to me. Most people get so focused on the output tubes but the driver and input tubes can really change the character and performance of the amp as well.

Remember, you can also use 5692 in place of the 6SN7.

If you have a camera, take some picks and I'll help identify the tubes if I can.

kh

mobile,

thanks for the response. Unfortunately I don't own a digital camera, so I presume the tubes will continue playing anonymouslySmile.gif

The only clue I can give that their class is 'coated' with a black kind of film (?) which I was told was meant to protect them against any influence from other tubes (which is called 'microphony' in German - I think).

I didn't know about the 5692 - any suggestions?

Wolfram

BTW: my 6SN7 are supposedly American NOS from the 1960s and the brand names might have started with F and E. On the box it says 6SN7GTY FE 64/64 (though I don't know if that's the original packing!

------------------

system:

REL Stadium II sub

McIntosh Mc 2105

McIntosh C 29

McIntosh MR 77

McIntosh MCD 7007

Thorens 520S

SME 3012-R

Ortofon SPU Classic GM E