What Kind Of Music?

Capin-Newbie

Since I purchased my Klipsch speakers. I am finding that I enjoy my music collection much more than ever.

I have also discovered new artists and genres. I am curious what other here are listening to and what you would recommend.

I like just about anything other than Opera or Old School Country Western. But then again, maybe I was never listening to that kind of music right either.

I would appreciate your suggestions and opinions.

By the way, if I could to suggest some of my favorites...

Dire Straits

Gov't Mule

Greatful Dead

James Blunt

Joe Walsh

Just to name a few.

Thanks

Brian

I've been going thru my CD collection to lean it out for a new cabinet, and was attracted to this one: Haydn, Symphony No. 31 ("Hornsignal") and Symphony No. 45 ("Farewell") by Charles Mackerras and the Orchestra of St. Lukes, Telarc CD-80156. The close-up sound is outstanding, letting you both hear the great instrumental detail from the excellent small orchestra and feel Haydn's surprising emotionality that sometimes occurs in his middle symphonies (he wrote 104 of 'em).

Anyway, this is a very appealing CD. The last movement of the "Farewell" has the well-known disappearing act by the instruments one-by-one as a hint to the prince to let his players have their vacation.

Larry

Would that be Symphony No. 31 in D Major? I found several Symphony No. 31 in the iTunes music store.

Yep, D major. Wow, doesn't the iTunes store ID the composer? How mediocre!

A major point that I was making, though, was that the Telarc/Makerras/Orch of St. Lukes is an especially fine recording, performance- and sound-wise. There are lots of uninteresting or so-so recordings of classical music, so I'm suggesting one that is especially good. I'm not sure I'd fuss with pot-luck choices, but maybe you want to see how you like the symphonies before buying the CD.

CN,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Klipsch speakers. It is all about enjoying the music.

An artist. I've enjoyed since discovering her on this forum is Diana Krall. If you like female vocals with an acoustic jazz trio genre, she is an excellent option. Very well recorded music, IMO, and will show off your system.

Excellent suggestions Duke. I am purchasing several of them now.

Pauln... Your are correct, I do love the guitar, but I am learning to appreciate the other music too. I have been hanging out on some of the smooth jazz streams at work and some classical feeds as well. Yikes... I am on my way to becoming well rounded... and not just from all the jelly dough nuts either.

I do enjoy Mark Knopfler's music too. I bought a large collection of his music and Dire Straits online a while back. Good Stuff.

Thanks for all the input so far. I do appreciate it. What a great forum.

At one time, I used to know of a website that you could type in an artist name and it would give you suggestions on artist with similar music... Does anyone know of any sites that are still running?

Brian

If you like Dire Straits, you owe it to yourself to check out the soundtrack from "Wag the Dog"... it is by Mark Knopfler, and has a lot of acoustic guitar (with balls, not the wimpy classical stuff), along with some very catchy tunes. The sound is terrific on my Klipsch Fortes.

My age is starting to show, as I have been enjoying female vocalists (their singing, not in the other way) in recent years. Listening to Sarah McLachlan, Dido, Mary Chapin-Carpenter, Alison Krauss, and even Avril Lavign can turn me to butter at the end of a long day.

Since it's the season, my disc changer usually has a few Christmas CDs from now until the New Year; Mannheim Steamroller, Philadelphia Brass, and (my favorite) a Charlie Brown Christmas (Vince Guaraldi rules).

Of course, we all have different tastes, but all of these sound great on my gear, and are among music I enjoy sharing with friends and family.

You may be thinking of pandora.com. You can type in a band you like and it'll create/stream similar artists. It's free and decent. Some stuff I think you may like:

Built To Spill-Keep It Like A Secret or their newest You In Reverse. Jammy Neil Young/Crazy horse type of rock.

Tom Verlaine-Around

Steely Dan-Aja

If you wanna get into something a bit jazzy but rockin':

Mahavishnu Orchestra-Inner Mounting Flame

Miles Davis-******* Brew

Herbie Hancock-Headhunters or Thrust. Both are great!

I was never a particular fan of "big band" music, but I gotta say, someone here mentioned how fantastic "Big Phat Band" sounded so I bought two of their cd's on that alone.

I was floored... I told the wife just the other day that it's possible that those cd's are the best sounding disks I've ever played on my speakers. The music IS very good and boy... it sounds fantastic.

so,

Big Phat Band

Maceo Parker (another that I was highly impressed with)

Billy Cobham (I have Rudiments)

Blue Man Group if you like percussion and some interesting music

Cat Stevens Majikat, sounds very good on my system

David Lanz (piano)