Is a small SET amp too powerful (for anyone)?

Parrot

Dr. Lessard, on a more serious note, how is Kelly holding out?

Kelly is going through a difficult time since he lost his principal source of income, which was taking care of Rick Santorum's web site.

I think he sold his condo and is now living in one of his Cornwalls. Now he wish he had bought my khorns when I offered him sometime ago.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

See this is exactly my point when it comes to many of the SET users. They take a very highly regarded SET amplifier and compare it to a very low cost entry level PP amplifier that will absolutely not open up and spread its wings just simply inserted in the system and compared. Many problems with this scenario. What your saying is not blasphemy it would be the exact results I would expect.

Craig

Well, 70% of the audio people are probably clueless anyway. Take the case of the klipschorns, how many stupid room setups did you see around here? A freakin lot if you ask me.

My take on low power SETs? A good one can be absolutely great for jazz. I still use one for most of my jazz listening. I didn't find a lot of amps that could render jazz with such naturalness as a good 2A3 or 300B SET (except for my ex-Tenor Audio OTL). OTOH I've hated all 45 SET amps I've heard with a passion (they seems to all find in the "hear hear don't I have great deeeeeetails or what"). I don't think a low powered SET is well suited for orchestra unless the room is VERY small (though I heard a really nice setup of SET complemented with a sub). It's definitively not suited for loud rock.

Anyway, there is a simple audio rule:

If you have only one system, you're a freakin moron.

Oh wait, there is another one:

If you're trying to setup a 5.1 channel that can play great music, you're an even bigger moron.

This being said, if anyone is interested in a Bogen MO100A, there one sitting in the snow in front of my house waiting to be picked up by the garbage man... Better act fast!

Jeff,

Awesome and reasonable post from an awesome guy!! But sorry to say the trash man can have the Bogen[;)] Quebec is just to far to travel for a mediocre PA amp LOL!!

"If you're trying to setup a 5.1 channel that can play great music, you're an even bigger moron."

LOL! Great post! Insightful, witty, scholarly.

...but, just for kicks, why don't we establish a working definition for what might, as in the case above, be described as 'great music.'

Acoustic jazz performed live in the studio recorded on a single track (or maybe two).

There, that was easy!

NOSValves wrote

"See this is exactly my point when it comes to many of the SET users. They take a very highly regarded SET amplifier and compare it to a very low cost entry level PP amplifier that will absolutely not open up and spread its wings just simply inserted in the system and compared. Many problems with this scenario. What your saying is not blasphmy it would be the exact results I would expect."

I guess compairing the Moondogs to the Cayin is not a fair compairsion but they are the only two tube amps I have owned so I was going from my very limited experience.

The Question was "Is a small SET amp too powerful (for anyone)?" and I should have started my post with yes and then written the rest of the post. Because in my small living room with my La Scalas they could play louder than I listened at. My post was from my experiences only and why I think the answer to Parrots question is yes.

I am sure some very good PP amp can outperform some very good SET amps in the situations I described(small room and speakers with high DB at 4 watts). But there are porbably some very good SET amps that can outperform some very good PP amps in the situations I described.

If I made it sound like PP amps can not sound excellent at low watts that was not my intention. I was just trying to make the point that a SET amp can be too powerfull for some people in certain cases.

[Y]

"Acoustic jazz performed live in the studio recorded on a single track (or maybe two)."

In your opinion (which I also happen to share in this case)

Here's another way of looking at it: I like Indian curry, but wouldn't worry very much (much less call you a moron) if you preferred Chinese.

"There, that was easy!"

Agreed once again. It really is pretty simple.

Erik

jbsl:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The Question was "Is a small SET amp too powerful (for anyone)?" and I should have started my post with yes and then written the rest of the post. Because in my small living room with my La Scalas they could play louder than I listened at. My post was from my experiences only and why I think the answer to Parrots question is yes.

Allan Songer:

Acoustic jazz performed live in the studio recorded on a single track (or maybe two)."

Erik Mandaville:

In your opinion (which I also happen to share in this case)

Here's another way of looking at it: I like Indian curry, but wouldn't worry very much (much less call you a moron) if you preferred Chinese.

I try not to curry favor and I definitely do not favor curry, whether Indian or Chinese. Food preferences, like audio, are all about personal taste. Those who dont share our tastes are not morons.

Nevertheless, dont lose sight of the fact that this whole thread appears to have been started as a sarcastic bait. Parrot would probably answer NO. I would agree with that answer to the question as posed, but I disagree with Parrot on many other fronts. Parrot has repeatedly indicated his dislike of SET specifically and low powered amps in general. He has a right to his opinions and to express those opinions. No one should attack others for their opinions.

SET amps have their fans and their place, as do PP and SS, etc. The original question asked, Is a small SET amp too powerful (for anyone)? Its difficult to imagine a scenario where the answer could be anything other than NO. The fact that an SET, or other low powered amp, can play efficient speakers at a volume that is louder than the listener would choose does not equate to confirming that the amp is too powerful.

Acoustic jazz from efficient Klipsch speakers in a small room would make a quality SET amp shine. But that doesnt preclude the use, or preference, of a more powerful topology. A large space with amplified rock replayed at live convert levels would be better with more power. Even the most ardent flea power advocate would not try to fill an auditorium with DSOTM at live concert levels without plenty of power.

Amy, Ive met the Parrot. Take away his keyboard and hes not so abrasive, he wouldnt have survived if he were. You could probably take him in a fair fight.

I'm not talking about which type of amps sound better just can a SET amp be too powerful.

For the way he posted the title I guess the answer is just depends on the person. For me the answer was yes.

That does not mean I think SET amps are the only amps for people with small living rooms.

My Cayin sounded better with some music and the Moondogs sounded better with other music. It's nice to have choices in life and I like both types of amps.

If Parrot has even been reading this and I've entertained or annoyed him then that is fine he has done the same for me in the past.

I respect his opinion just don't always agree with it.

"Nevertheless, dont lose sight of the fact that this whole thread appears to have been started as sarcastic bait"

...hook, line and stinker, oh sorry I mean sinker!

Again just depends on your point of view. I just changed the ANYONE to ME and answered the question.

Don't even care if Parrot is reading or not cause one of the great things about forums is expressing your opinions to whomever will read them which is what everone on this topic has been doing[:D].

...but, just for kicks, why don't we establish a working definition for what might, as in the case above, be described as 'great music.'

Great music is everywhere so a working definition is not an easy task.

It's definitively easier to define what is not great music.

On the top the official list is Pat Metheny and his kind of hotel bathroom pseudo-jazz.

The Rippingtons come in 2nd.

In a related note, Indian curry sucks. Chinese is the way to go. Everybody with some taste knows this.

Amy, Ive met the Parrot. Take away his keyboard and hes not so abrasive, he wouldnt have survived if he were. You could probably take him in a fair fight.

Of course she could. She lugs around a toddler who is probably stockier than parrot - if I recall the pictures I have seen of him (the parrot that is.)

This thread has been a riot. Very civil even though some are taking it way to seriously even myself at times.

JBSL,

Were cool I just wanted to make a point and you left the opening for it. Nothing personal meant by it, even though I know it was personal. I'm more then cool with you hope the reverse is true.