Horn speakers not recommended for HT?

maxgator

This is what the site says:

quote:

Horn loaded speakers: These drivers are designed as midranges or tweeters or both, have extremely high efficiency and wide dispersal patterns best suited for loud concerts and movie theater applications. In most cases, these type of drivers are not suited for quality 2 channel or multi channel surround systems in the home. Higher fidelity for home audio applications may be realized with conventional cone midranges and domed shaped tweeters.

This is the same hogwash that people have been saying about Klipsch speakers for years (note how they don't even mention that you can horn load a woofer). I for one disagree.

Certainly you need to listen to many different types of speakers and decide for yourself. I personally like the active, forward, and accurate sound that a horn speaker provides. I think that these types of speakers make excellent 2 channel, multi channel, or home theater speakers. I would not be using them otherwise.

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

i feel that i must add....

THAT IS TOTAL BS!

LoL! The horn tweeter to me is the ONLY way to go! Would NEVER go back to a regualr tweeter... just love my horns! Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

As to horn loaded speakers not being recommended for home use, I have one word for these naysayers, these nabobs of negativisim - BULL! Run, don't walk, to your nearest Klipsch dealer & check them out for yourself. I listened to alot of different speakers & always came back to Klipsch. Bottom line - let your ears be your guide.

LEW

This message has been edited by lovedrummin on 11-29-2001 at 09:50 PM

WHAT? WHAT do these unpaid clowns say? HUH

Let ME tell you a thing or two about horn loaded speakers and them being NOT GOOD for HT use.

I PURCHASED the complete Klipsck R line( RF-7's,RC-7,RB-5's and RF-5's)for HT use.And they workd DAMN WELL,the impact and dynamics are second to none.

So where is the problem?These bouffons are biased and know very little about speakers.I have tried and own MANY speakers,many more then most reviewers!So horn loaded speakers are GREAT for HT.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

For one thing they say "and wide dispersal patterns " when horns specifically have more controlled dispersion than do direct radiating designs. It's one of the fundamental benefits of horn loaded speakers in ANY application. Guess they don't know even the basics.

How about the incredible advantage in dynamic range? Guess I shouldn't kick them when they're so obviously ill-informed.

Cheers!

Horns suck? Geez, I guess that's why the Klipschhorn has been around for over 50 years. Does anyone know of any other speaker that has been made and sold for as long? I don't.

Speakers are perhaps the most subjective component of any audio system. Everyone has there own opinion, their own likes and dislikes. (Just ask anyone here what they think of Bose.) I've listened to many, many speakers over the years. , and I've actually heard a pair that sounded better than my Klipsch. Of course, they cost 65 times as much.

My Klipsch speakers sound great with all kinds of music, from Enya, to Beethoven, to Nirvana. So do lots of other speakers. But IMHO nothing beats horns for Rock'n'Roll. A really good recording containing some slide guitar -- a little Duane Allman, some Ry Cooder -- I'm in audio heaven.