Where's The Best Place To Buy Quality Car Audio Speakers??

Gilbert

OK, 1st-Off, I have never been into competition car audio, but I do appreciate the quality of components that have been developed as a direct result. My experience is limited considering the competition crowd, but I have owned some jim-dandy car speakers. My current favorites being the 3-way Focal Utopia brand from a few years back.

Anyway, you now have a general feel for what I'm looking for.... I'd like to stay under a grand for a good set of 3-way component speakers for use in my big truck. I'm not all that familiar with the model numbers of speakers made by the various manufacturers, so please be specific.

Thanks for your help guys.....

1. Over the internet- Crutchfield.com good service and shipping.

2. Brand names I like: JL Audio seems to be the King, Also Polk Audio (sold thru crutchfield.com).

3. Let us know what you end up getting................

4.http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1167

Head unit I like Pioneer and for mids and highs MB Quart and lows nothing but the best JL Audio and Amps Rockford Fosgate. I have run this system in my truck for five years and love it. But it was a little more then $1000.00. Just be very careful on EBay. Crutchfield as a good selection and Price Grabber has some good pricing.

I can not find my old faithful focal Utopias and it looks like audiodyne is getting the nod. frzninvt informed me about them (as well as other speakers, like morel) some time back, and I'm only now begining to read about them.

You will not find top quality car audio components legitimately on the internet just as you won't find Klipsch.

Crutchfield carries lo to mid-fi speakers and that is it. Most of the stuff today is junk made in Taiwan and China

Dynaudio, Morel, CDT, Rainbow, Focal, Vifa, Seas, and the a/d/s of old are the best of the best for car audio.

Only the top of the line MB Quarts are any good but I hate titanium tweeters. That said look into the JBL GTi series I looked at a stunning pair of components this weekend that sell in the $500 range but are unreal. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-06-JBL-GTI-SERIES-C608GTi-6-5-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ290060190825QQihZ019QQcategoryZ32819QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem They look nicer in person though.

I also offered you a brand new in the box pair of Orion/a/d/s HCCA 6 components that present at 2 ohm load to the amplifier so that you effectively double your power output. This is about a $900 component set that you have for about $250 - $300. Call my buddy Lance at Image Audio in Plattsburgh, NY he also has the JBL's (you should see the midbass drivers - wow!)

My a/d/s front stage in my car would be tough to beat, I can easily put most home systems to shame with it especially since I have added the a/d/s 336PX tweeters and a/d/s 346is networks.

The Orion HCCA 6's will offer the most performance to dollar ratio.

Peace Out

Well if you are running just deck power and not an outboard amplifier you don't need anything fancy. For some reason 6x9's don't get alot of love, most would tell you to put nothing back there since they say the rear pulls the imaging from the front. I like being the immersed in the sound though. Another option is to put 6.5" speakers on a plate adapter and mount them back there but that makes no sense since the 6x9 will generate better midbass and handle more power.

If you want good for reasonable price the Alpine Type R coaxials are nice, some Clif Design's on eBay can be had for like $80. If you have the mounting height for the tweeter the Polk Audio Momo's are very, very nice. You can also get some Nakamichi's on eBay pretty cheap. There are a ton of choices out there it all depends on what will fit, whether they will be amp'd or not and what you want to spend. My '94 Accord uses 6x9's and I have some super old school Magnum Professional components back there (6x9 woofer with an outboard midrange/tweeter module).

Gilbert heard the system last year but I have improved on it quite a bit since he heard it last.