Difference between 'Scallas/Belles/Cornwalls

PhilMays

I owned two sets of LSs and one set of CWs and listened extensively to Belles.

IMO the LaScala has a tonal balance that favors the midrange too much. The speaker has a serious lack of bass that exacerbates the midrange forwardness or perhaps causes it.

The Belle sounds just like the LS.

The Cornwall has deeper bass and as a result a more robust and pleasing tonal balance. I think the LaScala is a bad speaker but I think the Cornwall is a good one.

The LS-Belle will play louder and has better dynamics but the CW has excellent dynamics and will play very loud.

These are opinions. And of older speakers, I haven't heard the new LaScalas.

Phil, Scalas are a long throw speaker, and their bass is a tad on the light side. Unless you buy new, you can choose birch, birch, or birch.

The Belles are by far the most beautiful of the three, and come close to the sound of the Khorns, but with a smaller sound field due to stature. A set of Trachorns slide right in for a reasonable price, and really make them shine.

The KHorns have few compromises, but command the room corners, so they need a large space to shine if they are in a formal room. In a den or rec room, they are wonderful. If cosmetics are any consideration, the Scalas fall out of the picture.

The new LaScalas really smoke the old models (IMHO). Having heard the new ones while in Hope and being an owner of another pair since 1979, I've NEVER heard mine put out as deep bass as the new LS II's.

They did tell us the old LaScalas have the SAME sound (deeper bass) as the new ones, someone just has to tame the resonating sides which otherwise mask it.

I've always described my LaScalas as having terrific "mid-bass" and sucking on deep bass. (I have a pair of EV's paired with them that would go down to 28hz at 106 db's).

I have owned a couple pairs of both Cornwalls and Belles. I am currently using the Belles. The Cornwalls go lower in the bass, but to my ear and for the kinds of music I listen to, I really like the tightness of the bass on the Belles. I have also added the ALK Trachorn and agree that it really improves the overall balance and smoothness of the Belles. You cannot go wrong with either. I happen to have a pretty large room with high open ceilings and find that the Belles fill the room better than the Cornwalls. If my room was smaller, who knows I probably would have stayed with the Cornwalls. I do not have the corners for Khorns so in my opinion the Belles were the best option. I did not consider LaScalas as I think that Belles are much better looking. Mine are cherry with cane grills which IMHO is a great look.

Josh

These are the comments I expected. I too find the Belle's more pleasing to the eye. With a larger cabinet I kinda thought the bass on the Belle's might be deeper and tighter than the Scalla's. I have only heard great things about the CW's.

The room I'm finishing out is rather odd. It is 35' x 16'. In the middle on one wall is a 3' x 7' cut out (into the room) where the entrance to our house is above it. I like this as it breaks the room up from being a rectangle. Because of this too makes for difficult placement for k-horns, although I maight be able to fit them into one side.

The room has 8 1/2' ceilings and I am having tile installed today. We will place area rugs to soften the look as well as absorb echo's. I may install some accoustical treatments in the future, but that's a question for another day.

I have and use LS and CW on a regular basis. Dr Who and I put them side by side for some extensive listening comparisons a while back. Answer was 'it depends'.

To me, the CW is more evenly tempered speaker, with deeper bass- hey it was my first Klipsch, it will always be a fave due to that.

LS has better mid horn. That's why the CornScala gets such rave reviews. I found that music that was simpler, with more traditional instruments, like string quartet, light jazz, vocal, solo piano- fared better with the K400 LS horn, so long as there was not such significant low frequency content in the bottom octave, as the LS falls off pretty rapidly around 60-80 Hz (depending on who you talk to).

I prefer the CW for Rock, fusion jazz, and large symphony. Just the best used Heritage for the money- period. I spent time at Dtel's with his CWIII's and they were incredible- better low end and highs with the new drivers. Very fast transients. Extremely smooth frequency response.

If you are using for HT and/or with sub, it gets more complicated, as the limitations of the LS don't apply. Therefore my HT/Music system (about 50% each) consists of LS mains for their efficiency and horn when used for 2 ch listening. I have CW's behind me for very full-range surrounds. Many times when listening to music, I'm in DVD DTS mode or listening to vinyl or CD's using 2ch mode with THX subs engaged- that truly rock with any music I can guarantee you.

Good luck with your next Klipsch purchase.

Michael

I had Cornwalls for a decade before hearing Mike Lindsays stock La Scalas in my house. The bigger and better mid-range horn made me want to move up from the Cornwalls. My Corns Is however, had a mid-bass bump that really added to modern music and movies. Form there I went to Khorns, which are just as smooth in the bass and mid-range as the La Scalas, but deeper in the bass. Look at the charts to compare and you will see what some people are talking about. NOT deeper, just more of it.

Phil, CP1 kinda hit it on the head. Belles can be likened to female LaScallas. The more comely and sexier of the human species. The smaller squaker horn can be descerned. Either is the outlaw sibling when compared to the Khorn. If there is a way to use Khorns in your room do so. The overall package is that much better. Especially with some tricks. [;)]

Lacking that, Cornwalls hit a deeper note for your heavy metal listening.

Sounds like you've got a great room in the making!

Rick