Tubers: 6DJ8 for 6922

doctorcilantro

From Audio Asylum:

"there is a small chance that the 6DJ8 will get toasted. Rule of thumb: A 6922 will always replace a 6DJ8 but a 6DJ8 will not always replace a 6922. I'd say give the 6DJ8 a try. About the worst that might happen is that the 6DJ8 might not last too long."

I am trying to find some real quiet good solid well balanced tubes for a Sunfire Vacuum Tube Pre. Time to upgrade from the Phillips JAN 6922. I am pretty sure the manual says use 6922.

Anyone using the new EI 6DJ8? Anyone got any quiet NOS 6922 they want to sell or trade? I have some EH KT-88s with maybe 1000 hours on them at most I coould trade. And I do have some Telefunken diamond bottom ax7's (2).

I REALLY need a tube tester btw!

JC

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Audio Asylum:

"there is a small chance that the 6DJ8 will get toasted. Rule of thumb: A 6922 will always replace a 6DJ8 but a 6DJ8 will not always replace a 6922. I'd say give the 6DJ8 a try. About the worst that might happen is that the 6DJ8 might not last too long."

I am trying to find some real quiet good solid well balanced tubes for a Sunfire Vacuum Tube Pre. Time to upgrade from the Phillips JAN 6922. I am pretty sure the manual says use 6922.

Anyone using the new EI 6DJ8? Anyone got any quiet NOS 6922 they want to sell or trade? I have some EH KT-88s with maybe 1000 hours on them at most I coould trade. And I do have some Telefunken diamond bottom ax7's (2).

I REALLY need a tube tester btw!

JC

Dig deep and go for a CCa! El suprimo of the 6DJ8 family.

I have accumulated some in Telefunken, Siemens (rated highes by most, or so I'm told), and even have a pair in pinched waste Valvo.... None are cheap, but all are NOS NIB sealed. Ultra quite, ultra smooth.... make mine a CCa

Be very careful with them EI KT90's that happens to be one of the most flaky KT88/90/100 tubes ever produced. Your scarring the sh!t out of me since your amp I believe has no way to test the bias above the chassis to confirm these tubes are running stable. Not trying to rain on your parade and hope you get a good set. But be careful. If you like take a snap shot of the under chassi of your amps. I would like to have you make a easy measurement with your existing tubes and then again after you plug the EI's in there. Trust me the piece of mind will be worth the effort.

Craig

I bought a dozen Mullard CV5358 right after I bought my BAT CD player about 6 1/2 years ago--they are some sort of Mil-spec Brit version of the 6922 and they were CHEAP--got them in the early days of ebay from some dude in Australia for $15 ea and I have to say they are really, really nice tubes.

Anyone else every try these? I know in a DAC or a CD player it's not all that critical, but I just COULDN'T run those damn RUSSIAN tubes in my beautiful new CD player!!!

Thanks! Maybe Sunday I can give a call to do the testing and the tightening; will you be around? I bought the type III Kt90 as this was suppose to be the most stable and they are from Upscale Audio. They claim this is a good batch, fully tested, and guarenteed. But we will see about that....

I'll call Sunfire now.

DC

Doc,

Well that takes much of a gamble out of the EI KT90's but I still say that it would be advisable to confirm the before and after effects on the output section once changed out. So yes lets do this on the phone Sunday!! Get me a snap shot of the under chassis of the Mini Mite. As clear as possible of the entire under chassis.

Cheers Craig

I bought a dozen Mullard CV5358 right after I bought my BAT CD player about 6 1/2 years ago--they are some sort of Mil-spec Brit version of the 6922 and they were CHEAP--got them in the early days of ebay from some dude in Australia for $15 ea and I have to say they are really, really nice tubes.

Anyone else every try these? I know in a DAC or a CD player it's not all that critical, but I just COULDN'T run those damn RUSSIAN tubes in my beautiful new CD player!!!

Allan,

I sure would like to give one a whirl!! hint hint..............

Craig, I take it you want a shot of the innards? Open up the chassis and take a picture right?

JC

Yup so I can identify the proper place to measure the bias with two different tube brand/types are idleling at so you can compare! No such thing as an amp that magically self adjusts and biases itself in the real world. It's most likely cathode biased. It most likely will be just fine but it will be a good piece of mind type thing for you.

Craig

How important is it to buy line stae tubes matched? The used ones I can get are tested but not matched (i think), whereas there are some others I found NIB for less. Siemens CCA for 110$ NIB (2).

JC

In most circuits just about nil, nothing, nada. But with Cca type tubes unless they are of questionable quaility (seconds, rejects or wore out) they should be darn close. That was one of the criteria that made them Cca, Same goes for many of the other numbered variants of the basic 6DJ8. Most of these tubes were Mil Spec built under tighter tolerances and for salt water enviorments, heavy shock and so on.

Question:

Which tubes are more sensitive to noise. Amp input tubes, mine are 12AX7s, or the line stage tubes in my Sunfire Preamp, 6922s. Phono needs real quiet tubes but I'm wondering about the aformentioned.

thanks

JC

Amp input tubes are rarely senstive to noisy tubes unless thay are extremely noisy. With preamp line stages much depends on the design and the tube used. The 6DJ8 line of tubes has many great qualities but quiet is not one of them and never was. When you find a quiet one in your preamp gaurd it with your life. Then it's possible your preamp is not all that touchy. To many variables.

Craig

In every day use of my system I find Craig's statement to be right on. The only noise I have coming from my speakers is from the 6922 tube in the preamp. I have a faint hiss if you get up close to the Khorn top section. You can easily change that hiss by changing the tube in the preamp.

When I short the input RCA jack on my 12ax7 driven amps, my system is nearly dead quiet. I have virtually nothing coming from my speakers at all. In fact, the shorting plugs are in my drawer for use in the occasional amp check if I get some anomaly noise in the system. Doesn't happen often, but it's a good test tool.

I can get my hands on some used for 75$ a piece:

NOS Siemens Cca 1970s This is the highest rated 6922 type on the news groups. Outstanding performance, long life. Highly recommended! Limited Quantity Gold Pins NOS/NIB

Not NIB but tested strong and for low noise.

DC

Don't know about that vintage i.e., 1970's. Yes, I hear you on the price and I've seen on ebay with regularity. But what I was refering to are the 1950's and early 60's versions. Very hard to come buy. Telefunken white boxes and the old Blue & Yellow Siemens and Orange & Blue Valvos. Extremely quite and smooth beyond belief.