Drapes? Hardwood Floors?

xdetroitx

• 2 weeks later...

Are they wood floors? If they were my wood floors I would wait 10 days before putting anything on them but hey I am paranoid. My GF made some drapes just out of thick fabric with a nice black backing. The curtains are large 9ft long and 11ft wide. It was the best thing I ever did to my room. If you are wanting to block alot of light velvet would be good but pricey.

Pricey but nice

http://www.htmarket.com/lighting--signs--decor---carpeting-home-theater-drapes.html

Not so pricey

http://www.comforthouse.com/roclontlc.html

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would not skimp on quality curtains. Yes, they can be VERY expensive but I have found that quality curtains with black out linings are worth their cost.

Down here in the South, my electricity bill has been greatly reduced during the summer due directly to the curtains and shades.

I know they are expensive but long term, they wil pay for themselves.

Good Luck and hope you get everything you want in your new home!!!!

P.S. Keep your eyes peeled. My HT will be featured in the March issue of Audio Video Interiors! Thanks to everyone here who made it possible!

"His and Her Room!"

P.S. Keep your eyes peeled. My HT will be featured in the March issue of Audio Video Interiors! Thanks to everyone here who made it possible!

"His and Her Room!"

First, that's cool as beans! [Y]

Second.. WHAT??? you're not going to give us a SCOOP and post some pics??? [:o]

pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft!!!

Well... you might be forgiven if you supply us all a copy of the magazine for that month (free of course, but you can autograph them)

[:D]

westcott: I don't mean to high-jack this thread but: Congratulations! You must have been talking with Editors Krissy Rushing & Maureen Jenson? I'll look forward to seeing your HT's spread. I'll bet you are as excited as my wife and I were with ours. Way to go! -Glenn

If you would like a sneak preview, you can go to the Klipsch gallery here or you can go to this link at webshots.

http://www.webshots.com/user/jbwestcott

Not much has changed except that I am working on a piece of art to cover the screen when not in use and lighting in the adjacent kitchen is scheduled for next month.

Thanks again for everyones interest and advice. Could not have done it without your help.

"His and Her Room!"

Thanks Picky,

There are so many great installations. I was a little aprehensive when I was first contacted by Krissy but she has been a gem to work with.

I guess I will have to go back through the archives and revisit your HT. I am sure I have seen it because I have poured over every photo in the gallery for ideas and color schemes. Just can not remember whos is whos, if you know what I mean.

Thanks again for the encouragement. This seems to make all the hard work worth while.

I was not compensated financially and I had to take my own photos ( I thought maybe they would sent a professional for the layout).

Only reward is the honor of being chosen and the credibility it lends to the designer for possible future installations for other clients.

I really think I was chosen because of the shared space. It probably has more general appeal for a broader audience (i.e. women too) and should make it easier for some of you men to pitch a home theater of your own.

I had to make compromises but that is what marriage is all about. Take it from someone who has been married to the same great woman for 23 years!!!!

Secondly, can anyone recommend an AFFORDABLE acoustical drape or even your standard drape with a good sound and light quality?

........if you have time look through these websites maybe you can get some ideas if nothing else. Some stores like Linens and Things have drapes/curtains already made up ready to buy if that's an option.

www.acousticsfirst.com www.questai.com www.acousticsciences.com www.gikacoustics.com or maybe even www.acousticalsolutions.com

Happy Presidents Day

For what it is worth:

I have a problem. The natural front wall of my living room is about 2/3 rds floor to ceiling window. Great view. But there is an HVAC unit at the bottom center of that sticking into the room. The other 1/3rd is concrete wall. Some custom drapes are necessary for acoustics. Also, this is a 1974 vintage building in Chicago and all of that wall gets cold in winter. Heavy drapes could be good thermal insulators. I guess the building was on the drawing boards before the energy crisis.

I mentioned the drapes question while at a dinner party where a guy who used to be in the business was present. Apparently there has been some consolidation in the business. He mentioned that requests for custom drapes at a retail level all go to a single factory in Texas.

That is probably an overstatement. Local shops must be out there because it is simple product.

My overall thought is that I (and you) will have to get educated in the fabrics available and where and how it is assembled. There are no turn-key systems.

- - - - -

I have to laugh a bit at the question in caps. Where is the affordable, high quality stuff.

A few years ago I was walking in Chicago downtown. A driver-husband-guy (obviously unprepared) with family in the back of the car asked, in frustration, where are the affordable hotels? As if the Motel 6 of the countryside were someplace to be found in the Loop.

Also, a gal pal of mine was trying to relocate a low income family to Chicago. She asked, "Where is the clean, safe, low cost housing, close to public transportation, and in a good school system?"

Gil

• 4 weeks later...

"His and Her Room!"

First, that's cool as beans! [Y]

Second.. WHAT??? you're not going to give us a SCOOP and post some pics??? [:o]

pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft!!!

Well... you might be forgiven if you supply us all a copy of the magazine for that month (free of course, but you can autograph them)

[:D]

I am sure you have already seen it but I did not want you to think I was ingnoring you. Klipsch contacted me afterward. I guess they are going to use it in a newsletter to reps and employees.

Thanks Coytee.

http://www.audiovideointeriors.com/readerqa/0307diy/