Merlin Kits

Erik Mandaville

Mark:

One of my brothers gave another one of my brothers a small transistor amp for Christmas. It was suggested that he use a similarly small but sturdy and flexible tube linestage in front of it, and I immediately thought of the Merlin. There was another contender, but I think the Merlin has more features that will be useful in this circumstance. I will be the one who puts it together, and I wanted to ask you if there is an approximate time line planned for availability.

Thanks,

Erik

Mark:

You're injured? Sorry about that! I know very well how frustrating something like that can be.

No problem, I know this would be worth the wait, and I would also suggest the Merlin as a factory-built product! I've seen your work first-hand, and I couldn't recommend it more highly. The peamp is such that he may like to upgrade to another amp in the future, but he is sort of just starting out on this. I'm sure the little amp he has right now is excellent, although I don't know the brand. I wanted to ask, too, if the Merlin has the same output impedance options as the Peach. My feeling is that my brother's new amp probably has an input z of around 10K-20K ohms, but I can find that out.

Thanks,

Erik

Regarding the buffer stages:

The main new feature is a new multi-mode operation a bit different than
the Peach. The Merlin II multi-mode will be: GAIN ONLY, BUFFER ONLY, or
GAIN + BUFFER. The new twist being the "BUFFER ONLY" mode. This, in
essence, is similar to a so-called "passive preamps." It has no gain,
but it allows the connection of a very long MAIN out cable with no
effect on signal because a low Z buffer is driving the cable. Also
includes TWO SETS of main outs (panel mounted).

For for details and discussion on the JMA kits, the following threads are applicable.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/765232.aspx

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/799978.aspx

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/801909.aspx

Mark:

A low output impedance buffer sounds like a really great idea. It addresses the main problem of most resistive potentiometer-based passive preamps. Neat!

I'll also look forward to seeing the amp kits as they develop.

Also Re: the possible Merlin kit for my brother, what do I need to do to get on the list of interested customers?

Erik

Bruce:

My guess is that a 90 ohm output impedance would work well with many solid state amps, depending on input sensitivity and impedance. a 1-to-10 ratio (10 being the load) is usually used as the minimum requirement, so if the input impedance of the amp in question is say around 10K ohms, the buffer would fall within that range very easily. I don't know if this is set up as a cathode follower, or what the circuit actually is, but my feeling is that it would probably well in many SS cases, depending on input sensitivity as well as impedance. This is just my take on Mark's description.

Erik

Thanks to Erik and Mark both -

I had tried the original Merlin with my Alesis SS amp, but it has about a 7k input impedance. The bass was rolled off tremendously with that setup. I am thinking the MErlin II would do nicely for me in that regard. Then I could retire the Sony SS receiver I use on my Heresies. All I need now is the money. Since I'm taking a trip to the Philippines next month, I'll just have to wait a while I guess.

Bruce

Bruce, you behave yourself now when you arrive in the Philippines. As my ex-Marine brother can attest while stationed there back in the '80s, the women love American men. Your friend there wouldn't appreciate it if you met her arm in arm with several new lady gal pals![ip][:$]

Jim,

Actually, my friend is from the Philippines. She is presently working in China and will meet me back in Manila. She said she would stick like glue to me. [:)] She's a tiny thing too. 4' 11" and 90 pounds. If we hadn't had 911, I could almost sneak her back in in my carry on bag.

I know a Japanese woman who fits that very description (4' 10" and about 85 pounds). I worked with her for years at my old job...she's now married to an American and back in Tokyo. She hates it there and wants back in the US in the worse way, but her Floridian husband loves it there in Japan and has no intentions on coming back here anytime soon. Hope there's no trouble in their marriage, but in her last e-mail she said if I ever went to Japan on vacation, she'd stow away in my overnight bag to come back to Florida! Hmmmm...