A big, fat, wet and sloppy HAPPY BIRTHDAY kiss to the Hammond Organ!

Allan Songer

Do they still make the Hammond B3 or is it too all computerized?

They've been OOP since the 70s, I think. There are lots of consoles out there, but the supply is exceptionally regionalized for some reason. There's a good amount of them around here, but a dog here would bring a good buck in Texas. A guy I know is a bit of a guru with these things. He shipped a shipping container full of consoles and Leslies to Germany early last year. I saw an average B-3 and only OK 122 go for top dollar to Italy because they were in road cases and could be shipped there without taking a week off from life to make it happen. The driver for the local carrier was pretty excited to be picking up the instruments he had seen Sly & Family play in the seventies when they came through Buffalo.

There are some decent digital Hammonds out there for some applications. Not for a featured role, though for my ears. They're still putting out Leslies - a few different models and some tubes in the lineup as well.

They have recently released the "new" B3, Their website says it has 96 "digital" tone wheels whereas the original mechanical had 91, still has drawbars and functionaly the same. I couldn't find a technical description to see what they mean by 96 digital tone wheels. They still use the multi contact key switch as well to give the expressive key touch