ICE BUILD-UP QUESTION FOR YOU YANKEE

Gilbert

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What makes no sense to me is why do people feel the need to move after they just slide and didn't hit anything? stop the car and get out before you move again and hit something. Also why don't the people that did hit something flag the people before they go through the same road they just did?

Sunshine and temperatures above 32 degrees work best for ice removal

HAHA.

Though funny, I have to agree. Even here where I live, just north of

the ATL, we've had an ice storm and snow maybe 5 times in the 16 years

I've lived here. So we just wait and let er melt. This usually happens

within 2 days of the frozen water occurence, so not much of a big deal

for us.

use hot water (sshhh Northerners, don't spoil the punch line)

You sneaky sneak.... I know what your trying to do. Just like a Yank.

CB, this place looks close, to that photo. The build-up here though isn't quite as bad. The carnage on all roads and highways is incredible. Today we after work we played a little round ball at the Y, and some guy parked his truck on a hill. When we came out, his truck had slid down the hill and into another guy fancy'ed up truck.

Man guys, I grew up in south texas (Laredo to be exact), and in my 44yrs it has snowed there twice. But the snow melted away before anybody could build snowman. This morning on my way to work, I watched about 6 or 7 kids pile up in a canoe and slide down a steep embankment and into a frozen water canal. The went a long long way in that thing. Sure looked like fun.

This weekend I'm gonna get my two little girls, put them on their sled and tie a rope to my dog and let him pull them around the big park down the road. should be fun to watch. My wife's a friolenta (can't take anything below 60 deg), so the kids have cabin fever in the worst way, and school is still closed for tomorrow.

Thanks for the recommendation buckster, I'll try and find something. CB, remember, paybacks a biach [;)]

As mentioned earlier, just use a small amount of sand spread on the walking paths. The ground is not really cold enough to sustain the ice for long (as it froze mostly during the night when the air temp. dropped) and it melts due to the sun during the day, only to refreeze at night, the sand becomes encapsulated and you have an abrasive surface like sandpaper. Of course, someone with a bit of initiative might shovel the slush off during the day. But still, as the water will freeze, it is still good to spread a small amount of sand to become an abrasive surface when the water freezes at night.

And I 'object' to the idea of it "snowing" in DFW! ;-) That occurs up north where they get a dry fun snow! Down here it "slushes"! And to go out in it and to do anything means that you get wet and muddy! Yecch! Its a wet snow that exists mainly in the grass where it is suspended and kept cold by the air temperature, as the average mid 50's temperatures leave the ground with all of its mass too warm to allow more than a little snow and slush to accumulate.

I remember when growing up 'up north' in Ferndale Michigan (outside Detroit) that we would get the storms that dropped 15+ inches overnight and the only break any of us got regarding school was that the teachers were granted an extra hour grace period to get to work! But we never got out of school! Here they close school based on the prediction of snow. But to be fair, up north they are prepared and have equipment. Down here it just doesn't justify the investment for the mild winters. (And boy, its easy to get used to the mild short winters!!!) So don't feel sorry for anyone down here!

To me its funny down here, as 'snow' - ANY snow, is cause for an impromptu holiday! You don't even have to feel guilty if you call in as everyone does it. And the most dangerous places in the state are the parking lots of the grocery stores where many buy up 6 months of supplies and wipe out the milk and bread for snow that is typically gone by 10am the same day! -enough to stop businesses, but not quite enough to stop folks getting to the malls - but they cant get to school or work. ;-) I think the weathercasters get a kickback from the grocery stores to just mention the word "snow". Seems to me the smartest thing most could do is to just sit down, relax, and enjoy the 'freak' event! But I can't really complain, as it is instead something to just smile at...I just wish we could plan ahead and know what days the 'holiday' will occur!

Take care, be safe and keep warm!

I would rather have globle warming than globle cooling....Can you imagine what 100ft thick glacial ice would look like in your driveway?

Where I live, was at the edge of a mile thick glacier Maron. I wouldn't want to shovel that!

I live a mile from the coast. Back then, the coast was 75 nautical miles further south. That coast line is now about 80 fathoms under water.

Rick

Thats pretty wild jb. You do see some pretty amazing things when driving in the wintertime.

Man, is that a redneck or what. My wife would... oooooweee, if I ever did something like that. Which of course would never happen with me ... [A]

Some good ideas all around, in the "olden days" we used a combination of sand and cinders for traction without the environmental effects. By the way, no whining until "the snow tops the pole" and you certainly don't have the corner on bad driving during storms, check out our parking lot ala 1967[:)]

post-17808-13819321448014_thumb.jpg

As a kid, the image that still sticks with me that I thought was so cool was that of the snow drifting and completely blocking the highway under the overpass. But then I guess I was easily impressed!

And we used to make all of our money shoveling walks, and the cities had those %#&@ jeeps with rotating brushes that would run down the neighborhood sidewalks as well - so ingenious and industrious kids would stick trash cans out on the sidewalks! [6] Of course, as soon as you finished the driveways, the big plows would come by and block the entrance with the foot and a half dam of wet slushy ice... $^%&$# [:P]

And even so, we never missed school! [:'(] Of course we would stay out until after dark, blue as smurfs - but we wouldn't go in! Good times! but I don't miss the snow (except for about a 2 week period and only for fun!) now!!!

Thanks, flannj.

We don't get a lot of snow in Portland, but
when we do, idiots flock to the streets. I don't like seeing anyone get
hurt (that driver cut their head), but there are easier ways to learn
how to drive on ice and snow...

I took the opportunity, and had 2 days off from work.

Around
here, we use wood shavings, bird seed, and grass seed, to help with
traction. The city uses gravel on the roads, and a lot of individuals
use sand, but these components will sink in a freeze - thaw cycle.

[:|]

One can only guess what possessed someone to waste that much time and energy to do that!

[:(][:S]

Mark, you take things too seriously.

As for the person that recommended the sand, thanks. Big help. I had 6 bags of sand in the back of my truck to help keep the back end planted, but now have 5. I spread 1 of the bags all up and down the drive way, then along the side walk. The wife is relieved that she can not check the mail box without falling down, but now the kids are upset because I ruined their ice slide. Oh well, can't please'em all.

scorpsfan,

I've had to check out some serious roof problems that resulted from snow drifts, but that telephone pole takes the cake. Incredible, simply incredible. That is one serious drift, just blows my mind to see that kind of stuff. The things mother nature can throw on people, uhg....

The local news here is predicting a heavy snow (5 to 8") this Saturday, which should make it interesting. Personally, I'm not going into work this weekend, gonna have some fun with the kidos.