Come on you Panty Waist...

thebes

Well, I'm sad to say I still haven't opened the Talking Heads, and have actually added another LP to the list... Rickie Lee Jones' Pop Pop on Geffen. This is the Alto pressing that I got from Gary (thank you Bro!), and I just saw one sell for $190 on eBay. As much as I want to open it (I love this album) I am holding out for a used pressing. Unfortunately, these don't show up too often so I'll give it 6 months or so, and if I can't snag one this one's coming out.

Also wanted to say hi to Marty! [:D]

Mike

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Now to meet Mike in person you would say to yourself "there goes a manly man" . What you see revealed before you is yet another closet pantywaist. He talks sports, drives a Vet, but given a choice between potato chips and a cafe latte he'll order the latte every time.

$190 bucks, chump change I say. Our own DWIILawyer (Travis) popped the cherry on a 40 year old R to R Miles Davis the last time this thread was up. We heard it here in DC over the gathering and man oh man it was the best financial tradeoff he ever made.

Gary must play golf, a sport girls excel in. "oohh, I'll open it tomorrow, right after I ask my wife first. All right Mr. Mamby, just tear that saran wrap off and make your wife watch. Take up Rugby, girls can't play.

I've got a virgin Sheffield Labs "Tower of Power" I can't wait to ravage.

So whose going to step up and shred some cellulose?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have one... Talking Heads' Speaking in Tongues. Not sure why I haven't broken the seal on it because it sure isn't worth anything. Maybe tonight I'll go ahead and git 'er done...

Mike

Mike,
Worth a lot to Talking Heads fans like you and me.
Open'er up
Let's hear about it
- Jim

A couple of months ago, I bought a new copy of Texas Flood, by Stevie Ray Vaughan, and opened it and played it as soon as I got home. It sounded great! As for the Zamfir album that I got for Christmas a couple of decades ago (from a relative who'll remain nameless), it will stay safely wrapped in its shrink (if it's shrink-wrapped, isn't it wrapped in shrink?).

vinyl ... virgin vinyl.... I've not really been saving 'em, but I've got a few unwrapped slabs of virgin vinyl packed away ... mostly classical I bought cheap from the record club (probably not the best recordings ...) - mostly too lazy to play, not that I was saving for a special occasion ... hmmm, wonder if any of the vinyl I rescued from my brother is unwrapped - might be some interesting things in those ... and he may still have more in his attic ... did I even bring them all home or just kept them out of Dad's estate sale [:$] - most are minty and probably a lot of rarely been played, most are probably virgin but don't recall a lot of unwrapped, maybe 1 to 2 dozen total and no audiophile recordings but could be some fun things ... [:D] I suspect there could even be some virgin vinyl by Marie Osmond ... Coytee, quit yer droolin', if there is, I'm sure we can work something out, or maybe we could play it on you Jubs if I ever get down that way ... (just, um, try to save the, um .. .sing along dressed as Marie for when I'm not there ... or maybe it'd be fun to record and put on you tube [6] - time for some antacid - I think I should be banned ... [+o(] )

in my defense, my TT was pretty much out of commission for several months until I got around to replacing the shorted out cable a few months ago ...

I'll have to dig one out, rip 'er open and join the fun ... (and avoid the nasty paper cut from sliding one's finger along the often all too sharp cardboard edge) ...

and in a moment of madness, I've just ordered the Cisco 180 gram pressing of Aja - that Aja thread got me thinking about that, especially since my standard issue is really noisy - must of played it before I discovered even the Radio Shack record cleaner, before my trustworthy Disc Washer and Disc Kit (bought that in high school) ... or loaned it out to too many sadistic, heathen "friends" [8o|] - don't even think about laying a finger on my vinyl ... learned my lesson after getting one or two back all finger printed [:'(] - really learned my lesson when I retrieved one from a moron who was using my album (along with his own) as floor tile [:@][8o|] - he was an a** most of the time, payback came when we were talking about exotic foods in French class one day and he proudly plocaimed " ... well, I had octopus once, testicles and all! ... " it was too late by the time he figured out his mistake (or was it?) as myself and the rest of the clowns in the back row were rolling around on the floor laughing are arses off to the point of hyperventilating - he never did live that one down - better be really nice should I run into him [8o|] someday (and please excuse my slam of the nobel a** as they're much more useful and less of a, well pain in the a** than this twit)... I digress, several time and all sorts of crazy tangets (hon, where's my medicine?) where was I, or yes the Cisco pressing of Aja. I'll have to compare it to the CD version, see if I can tell the difference with my tin ears on my mostly low fi rig (though Mike Lindsey says my Dual CS500 and Shure V15 Type 5 MR is a pretty good combination, hopefully I've got it set up reasonably well )...

but I'll have to wait as I'm a cheap SOB (Sorry Old .... don't you dare denigrate my mother, it's not her fault I'm this way ... ), well rather low on funds actually, so I'll have to wait 4 to 10 days for the arrival of my heavy vinyl - might have to send the wife and girls out for a girls night out when it arrives .. grab some take out or throw a big slab of juicy red meat on the Weber or even bigger slab on the smoker ...

Tomorrow I will open my copy of Pink Floyd Echoes. It's only because I want to hear Astronomy Domine on 180 gram virgin vinyl instead of my beat to sh!t 40 year old copy of A Nice Pair.

It'll be one of those times I wish I still fired up a doobie now and then.[H]

GaryMD- a MAN amongst pantywaists! [:P]

I'm heading to HarryO's this am to tweak my Thorens 125 and clean pots on a Sansui AU9900A. When I return home this afternoon, I solemly vow to open a sealed LP (assuming I can find one)

Echoes is my fave Floyd album. Have fun! [Y]

Gary must play golf, a sport girls excel in. "oohh, I'll open it tomorrow, right after I ask my wife first. All right Mr. Mamby, just tear that saran wrap off and make your wife watch. Take up Rugby, girls can't play.

I've got a virgin Sheffield Labs "Tower of Power" I can't wait to ravage.

So whose going to step up and shred some cellulose?

Tower of Power? Pffffftt! Isn't that the band with an Indian, a Construction Worker, etc? Breaking the seal on an album worth a dollar fifty and you're bragging?[|-)]

Michael - Echoes is the 4 LP box set that spans the entire Floyd era unlike many of their other so-called "Best Of" albums that only begin with DSOTM. I know they had a song called Echoes too and maybe a CD that came out a few years ago. I guess they like that title.

Gary, ah yes, I have that on CD, it's a great career retrospective that's laid out in a non-chronological order- a prebuilt 'party mix' if you will, with some of the songs segueing into each other. Be careful there are no combustibles in the area when you play this tee hee.

You must get the Meddle LP/CD- it's the Floyd album just before DSOTM.The song Echoes is an entire album side and the other side is an interesting collection of goodies. This of lots of Echoplex sound effects with howling guitars sounding like pteradactyles soaring over a deserted landscape. It's my favorite song for terrorizing the neighborhood at Halloween.

Also the DVD Pompeii chronicles a 7 day 'live' rehearsal in a ancient amphitheater playing tunes from Meddle and others, interspersed with snippets of the recording of DSOTM in studio, and some very interested shots at the local greasy spoon where Nick continually tries to order 'a piece of apple pie with not so much crust'.

...prancing, hirsute ballarenas, weak-kneed, limp-wristed,

tight-wearing , lisping, degenerate, fudge-loving, corn -loving,

nancy-boy, girly men.

You forgot pubeless-twinks

An apt description Jim for those closet cowards afraid to chip a nail whilst opening up some hoarded viynl.

Now that Gary fellow knows darn well that the Tower of Power I'm referring to would sell for $40, he just trying to wheedle out of opening up that Pink Floyd. He'll probably end up claiming that it's "that time of the month" or something. We'll have to demand proof via a pic of the magic moment if he actually steps up to the plate and doffs his wig.

Good work Smilin! Have a brewski on me.

That means I'm up so why not a little virgin Culture Club (is that an oxymoron). In the immortal words of Tim "The HandyMan" Taylor:

More Power!!!!!!!!!

So whose up next?

post-14801-13819349541268_thumb.jpg

After searching through my known vinyl stashes in my home, I've found 1, count it 1, virgin vinyl. And it is a duplicate. I was sure I had a couple of classical albums I'd not yet opened but didn't find any. And I don't recall opening an album and not playing it. I'm pretty sure my brother has at least one unopoened album I rescued from Dad's estate sale as I remember an Elvis gospel album that was unopened. I better save his albums from him as he's not owned a record player for years and quite possibly hadn't played many of them. Must've left them in his attic (partially finished) as I didn't find any of them in my home - or I forget where I put them.

And the unopened album I found is ...

the V15 type V SHURE AUDIO OBSTACLE COURSE

I forgot I had this, much less 2 copies. As I have one, I'm not going to bother opening and playing this one. It quite likely is the most valuable vinyl I own, until my new copy of Aja arrives.

Guess I'll have to wait for my Cisco pressing of Aja that I should be receiving in a few days to join in the frenzy. Probably the 1st audiophile pressing I bought intentionally [:$].

Not sure I have any vinyl that would qualify as audiophile. The closest thing I could remember and dug out is a Japanese pressing of a Discwasher album titled Horn of Plenty by Den Menza wiht Chuck Findley, Bill Reichenbach, Frank Strazzeri, Frank De La Rosa, John Dentz that is labeled " A Discwasher Digital Recording" .

post-26727-13819349546888_thumb.jpg

Gary, ah yes, I have that on CD, it's a great career retrospective that's laid out in a non-chronological order- a prebuilt 'party mix' if you will, with some of the songs segueing into each other. Be careful there are no combustibles in the area when you play this tee hee.

You must get the Meddle LP/CD- it's the Floyd album just before DSOTM.The song Echoes is an entire album side and the other side is an interesting collection of goodies. This of lots of Echoplex sound effects with howling guitars sounding like pteradactyles soaring over a deserted landscape. It's my favorite song for terrorizing the neighborhood at Halloween.

Also the DVD Pompeii chronicles a 7 day 'live' rehearsal in a ancient amphitheater playing tunes from Meddle and others, interspersed with snippets of the recording of DSOTM in studio, and some very interested shots at the local greasy spoon where Nick continually tries to order 'a piece of apple pie with not so much crust'.

Michael - I stand corrected! My copy is a 4 LP set pressed in Holland. I noticed it was released in 2001. I do have a copy of Meddle. Just never played it.[:$] And no, I still haven't opened Echoes. Maybe tonight. It's sitting out just waiting.

Smilin - What's up stranger? I have about 15 Who pressings that blow away anything I've ever heard on CD. But then again, I only have a cheap Sony 555ES SACD machine. All my money is spent on records these days.

Marty - $40??? Probably now since you OPENED it. I'm guessing it was worth $100 sealed! I'm still waiting for the wife's permission to open the Floyd.[:'(]

[;)]

Smilin - What's up stranger? I have about 15 Who pressings that blow away anything I've ever heard on CD. But then again, I only have a cheap Sony 555ES SACD machine. All my money is spent on records these days.

Gary,

Whasup, miss ya lot's, Biz OK? Mine is in the can, but, OTOH, life is pretty good, we gotta talk soon.......

Gary, ya need to get into some new digital, or at least DAC/hard drive.

TT ya soon

Smilin for you, my friend[bs]

here is a link to my latest dig http://www.aplhifi.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=667 check it out, will have by end of year, seriously betta than vinyl........I know, JMHO

• 3 years later...

An oldie but a goodie..

I still haven't opened up the Talking Heads album, but did open the RLJ Pop Pop, which I have now probably played over 50 times (I also own the Classic reissue which I have been meaning to give to Thebes as his Chrismas present the last 2 years). Since then, I have bought the entire Music Matters Blue Note 45 set (they have a few to go), and I have only opened the first 2 I believe. They are numbered, and all of mine are #278.

Mike