Newbie needs help with next upgrade

wpines

Equipment acquired so far;

Source - stereo link usb dac and a pc with itunes playback software

Amplifier - Sophia Baby ( tube integated starter set)

Speakers - 1 pair '84 Cornwall CTL/cane and 1 pair '86 Heresy II OO/cane (sometimes wired together, sometimes not)

I've applied what I've learned here to get started and my little starter system sounds good, but I'm able to do about $1,000 in upgrades or a little more at this point. I've learned a lot at this forum and can use some more advice. What should my next upgrade be in that dollar range or should I just keep saving money towards a bigger/better upgrade in the future?

13x13 room (I'm adding some attenuation), rock jazz and vocal fan, medium to loud

Thanks

wpines, Not to tell you how to setup you gear, but I would run just the corns alone. They should be more than enough speaker with the right source. Decide on CDP or Vinyl, and go in that direction for you next upgrade. One or the other as a stand alone unit should really put a smile on your face.

Jay

Thanks for the help. I've got monster cable to the speakers, and plain cables as interconnects. I'll get upgrades on those two items. I almost always run the cornwalls alone and have them positioned quite well. I see that you both went right to a source upgrade. Are the sonics that much better than the itunes output to the usb/dac?

CD player and cables (both CD to amp and speaker) . Run your best sounding loudspeaker and place them in the room for the best sound.

Thanx, Russ

http://hcmaudio.com/comp.asp?compID=498

Coral When this was the normal current line for AQ several years ago I picked up 2 pair of these with diferent narrow diameter RCAs for use with vintage tube integrateds. Never had a thought of upgrading them in 4 years.

Home Depot wire for speakers are fine for all but the most tweaked in systems.

If you like your amp; $ 500-700 investment in CD source could be the right thing with some nice mid priced interconnects.

Good Luck!

Rick

NOTE: Running 2 pairs of speakers off of the same amp unless in a dedicated HT amp is just asking for bad music reproduction and electrical bad failure mode karma.

Remember, newbie.... What about when the mp3's are downloaded to a disc and played on the cd player. Are they then "uncompressed" or does the mp3 compressed format remain? Are we talking about only purchased cd's have the uncompressed format?

Most kinds of digital have some data optimization 16/44 can be many times downconverted from being 20 or 24 bit resolution and 88 Khz or higher sampling rate. I read too little aobut good compressed data and DACs at that MP3 style compression. Only one I heard was worth being "HIFI" was the one Mark Levinson was working with.

Burwen Bobcat

http://www.burwenaudio.com/BURWEN_BOBCAT.html

Yes, all itunes music is at 128kbps, if you want to improve the sound quality you must import cd's on to your computer, and do it at a higher bit rate. Such as 256kbps, 320 kbps, or even better CD quality which is 1411kbps; but to do that you will need alot of memory. Any music you get from itunes will be at 128kbps.

Jay

Upgrade..............check out those La Scala's...............Did you get my e-mail ???????

Not sure what you mean Buck.

I would keep the cane front Corns and upgrade with DEANG networks and fix the source. THe picture is small but the cane front Corns look cool. Better than most LS.

Unless you're seriously addressing the liabilities that a square room presents, you should rethink spending the whole shot on gear. I'd suggest poking around www.realtraps.com Download their modecalc application & run your room dimensions. The frequencies that have a high concentration of modes (the lines at the bottom of the window) will exhibit strong reinforcements and cancellations at various points in the room. Changing the room dimensions and eliminating parallel surfaces with baffles will contibute greatly towards natural sound. Typical 2" foam applied directly to the wall will do nothing to help LF problems, if that's what you intended.

Lord help you if the ceiling is 13'.

If you're not planning on staying the room for long, don't worry too much about it.

Regardless of the above, mp3s are not the route to take if quality sound is your goal. A useful tool for conveniently hearing a lot of new music, but you'll need to change that strategy if you really want to get it right.