Line Conditioner / Surge Protector Opinions

Briankz

I've always surge protected my equipment, but I have only recently become aware of the benefits of a line conditioner. After doing some research on what is available, it became apparent there are far too many options available to make an easy decision. So I picked up a $50 Acoustic Research line conditioner / surge protector not wanting to risk a big purchase price without more knowledge on the best value for my dollar. It was immediately evident how a line conditioner helps your home theater, so now I'm even more curious if spending more money for what in theory would be a better one is beneficial at this point.

So my questions are:

1 - How much is too much to spend on a line conditioner / surge protector before you're buying into the hype.

2 - My Acoustic Research appears to be a great value. Is it? Or am I risking too much sticking with an off brand, and in this case is Monster an overpriced brand?

right now i hate the acoustic research line conditioner, I have it in the dorm and it beeps like crazy probably due to the bad power. At home it was fine but something is making it beep like crazy and no this was a brand new unit as I went to bestbuy and exchanged it thinking it was the protector.

I heard nice things about the dynex, even though it is bestbuy's brand

The Dynex ones are pretty sweet for the money. I have one on my tube/tivo/computer system in my room and it seems to work really well. On my main system though, I'm using Pure A/V power conditioners and they are phenominal. Cheaper than Monster, and the PF-30 (I think at least... it's the one with the blue LED display) I'm running really cleaned up my audio so it's obviously working.

I got this

http://www.monstercable.com/power/productPagePower.asp?pin=3415&LastPage=Signature%20Power

off Ebay for a steal. I like it, every month or so i'll get a surge of high voltage and it will warn me. I do see a picture difference though cable. ie. I had some really bad snow on a couple low end channels that the cable company couldnt clear up with whatever they do. This baby eliminated all snow and fuzz. It also eliminated all the "hum" i was hearing before. Plus it is pretty comforting to know that all my electronic goodies are protected and properly grounded.

I'm using two Tripp Lite Isobar Ultras, one on most of the system and a second one on the sub, which is on a different circuit. They're well made, not expensive, the TV has blacker blacks and I think the FM is a little quieter, plus LPs seem to have less noise.

The dynex power conditioners work very well, not sure about the AR but Isell them over the monster in the same price range just because. I know the dynex is good because monster sent a "noise sniffer" to us to sell power conditioners and the dynex did better than the monster cables. But that is broekn now so I don't know how to AR compare.