How far apart are your K--Horns?

DoubleJ

Mine were 18 feet apart, and that worked very well sitting in the crosshairs, 9 feet from the front wall. They are current about 21 feet apart and the sweet spot is still in the crosshairs at half-distance from the front wall. The imaging is farther away, obviously, and took some getting used-to.

The center is a Heresy II but is only used for HT. No center-fill is required (at all!) for stereo music. Lead vocals appear to come from the center speaker.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The exact measurement of the width of my room is 250 inches (I know, I know nitpicking here) and that times .618 is 155 inches..the depth of my room in 171 inches, so although I'm not exact, I have the sweet spot (couch) 160 inches from the front, leaving 11 inches behind me..I've positioned a homemade shelf there, with knick-knacks, so it doesn't leave a hole.

It's funny how tweaking the room a few inches here or there can make a difference i.e. if I place the couch closer to the back wall, the bass is boomier. I'm pretty pleased with my current set up. The center channel (Belle) might not really be needed, but I like the addition, as it makes veing out of the sweet spot less noticeable.

Steve

My K-horns are also 24 ft corner to corner. I have about 15 feet of blow-by behind my listening position and I am 14 feet in front of the speakers. I think that the blow-by makes a huge differance. How much room behind the listening position does everyone have? _p

Remember if you're subtracting that the result includes the thicknes of one's head (some around here are thicker than others) LOL [;)]

With a powered center channel there is no imaging problem, you don't have to sit in the center, you don't have to pretend to hear the center or anywhere else, the sub helps to reduce the nodes, you don't have to sit or stand in the sweet spot, and most of the time I sit toward the one end of the room near the short wall with the speakers on the long wall. SPL about 95-100 with Radio Shack meter and aligned with the Avia test DVD. If you think that's bad, my HDTV is on the opposite wall and all the sounds are backwards when viewing DVD's so I have to think left-right and right left and is that confusing but it sounds great. Starfleet Command has issued the orders and that's the way it is.

JJK

My K-horns are also 24 ft corner to corner. I have about 15 feet of blow-by behind my listening position and I am 14 feet in front of the speakers. I think that the blow-by makes a huge differance. How much room behind the listening position does everyone have? _p

Remember if you're subtracting that the result includes the thicknes of one's head (some around here are thicker than others) LOL [;)]

I hear that!![:D]

Just a question for those listening with a center, for music. Is this center channel driven in mono. When a stereo recording is set in mono(based on equipment/hookup, and my experiences), there seems to be a loss of ambience and air around the instruments thru this channel that, compared to the L/R, is less exciting overall. What about using 2 centers driven in stereo mode, giving the center fill, without this loss I am speaking of(unless I am the only one who feels this way). For those of you who have a stereo/mono switch on your preamps/receivers, or whatever, take a stereo recording and switch it to mono, you will hear it! Although the center speaker "fills the gap" between the Khorns, is it, or not, the same information? Just curious.

I use a McIntosh C39 preamp, it has a summed center channel output when in stereo mode. It doesn't distract from left right info but widens the sweet spot, with my khorns 30' apart, without the center just moving your head a few inches makes a difference, with the center channel you can move several feet and not notice a difference

I'm a klipschorn newbee. I've been all klipsch for years, but just last week snagged a pair of Klispchorns off of ebay, and tied them up with a scott tube amp, and am in heaven!

I was afraid that the room was too small, but I'm pleasantly surprized. The walls are 12' apart. Not optimal, I know, but they still sound very nice.

And after getting them, my Quartets have been moved to the main speakers for my HT, blending in well with the reference center and surrounds. But recently, I'm spending more time in the audio room with the 'horns!

Steve

Dan..

the center channel is run in mono (combined L/R signal), but it leaves the mains (L+R) in stereo. The stereo "imaging" is still loud and clear IMHO. This is done with a combined center channel out on some preamps, or with an outboard mini mixer box (like I have). I don't believe you are losing anything with this set up. Granted, if everything were set to mono, that'd be a different story.

Regards

Steve