300B Users

jcmusic

My BEZ Model T3B came with very nice stock Shuguang 300BC graphite anode tubes. These robust tubes seem to have great midrange bloom and full-bodied bass response; a very good all-around 300B for little money IMO. When I upgraded to TJs, I sent the Shuguangs to Erik Mandaville for his 300B amp project he was working on at the time, and he likes 'em alot as well! For inexpensive Chinese tubes, they're not bad at all.

post-11084-13819321749582_thumb.jpg

I didn't have such good luck with the TJ 300B/n mesh plate anode globes, though. They replaced the Shuguangs, but even after several hundred hours break-in, they really didn't sound any better than the 300BCs IMO. Actually sounded a bit thinner to my ears, and the bass wasn't quite as pronounced. Just a few months ago one of 'em went south on me...maybe it was just a bad tube that missed TJ's quality control inspection, or then again maybe the 300B/n mesh plates just aren't as good, I dunno (certainly more expensive, though at around $275 for a matched pair). I don't know if I can recommend these, even though they have good reviews...it's your call.

post-11084-13819321750542_thumb.jpg

I can recommend the TJ's replacements...new Electro Harmonix 300B EH gold pins (not sure if they're the same as what Rick mentioned). They do fit Rick's description; a 300B best buy! To me they sound slightly better than the Shuguangs with an extended top end as well as lush mids and solid bass. These 300Bs are OEM for so many manufacturers, so they must be doing something right. I've read somewhere they are a good representation of the classic Western Electrics, although I've never heard any of those (vintage or new). I like my pair, and they're still breaking in, so I can imagine they'll get even better sounding as time goes on...we'll see.

post-11084-13819321751172_thumb.jpg

When I picked up the Moondogs, there was a set of the EH 2A3 gold grids included. I am extremely happy with them. They sound simply wonderful with my LaScalas. I can even hear bass coming out of them. They also fit my budget. [;)]

Bruce

kaiser, Canary amps what speakers? Did you hear them?

Rick, Did you hear these tubes? What speakers, amp?

Jay

I use the EHs in my own 300B SET amp on Khorns, Belles and Heresys and have heard them in an Assemblege SET on Khorns.

They take a hundred or two hundred hours to really open up Jim. They will get better yet.

Rick

"Just a few months ago one of 'em went south on me...maybe it was just a bad tube that missed TJ's quality control inspection, or then again maybe the 300B/n mesh plates just aren't as good, I dunno (certainly more expensive, though at around $275 for a matched pair)."

By going south, do you mean the tube lost most it's emission, or did the filament short out or something? If it's emission is low, and the filament still works, there is a little trick you can try with a tube tester.

Your father has tube testers, I do remember your brother bragging about it. Now if you still have the TJ mesh-plates, test them in you dad's tester for emission. Hell, if he can test 300B for transconductance, that would be even better.

Ok, say the wanked mesh-plate has a real low emission reading. It's toast, doesn't work anymore. Take the filament voltage on the tester and bump it up from 2.5 volts, to about 3, to 3.5 volts and let it sit and cook for a hour. What's to lose? The tube is fried. You don't have to actually test it, just let it sit in the socket of the TT and cook with the higher set filament voltage.

This is done with CRT's with a big capacitor, to strip a layer off the cathode. There is a chance to revive the CRT, by stripping a poisoned cathode or contamination on the cathode layer/layers. There is also a chance to destroy the CRT, by going too far and stripping too much.

I think the theory applies to a DHT by more or less boiling the contamination off the filament or poisoning. If it works the emission or transconductance reading should come up a bit when re-testing the tube.

You know I have my TJ 2.5 volt 300B's. I ran those around a year at 2A3 bias, and then around 6 months at 300B bias with a higher voltage PS transformer. The time frames may be a little longer, who knows...sumthin' like that..

Then the bias voltage in circuit dropped way down, and one tube started to pop now and then. After the local friend brought up the idea, we cooked the filaments for a hour or so in a TT. I listened to them for another 3 months. One started to drop voltage again in circuit, and I shelved them for a few years....close to that.

3 weeks ago I cooked the filaments again, for about ten minutes a tube. Bias voltage was around 57 volts when these tube were new.

They started out in the amp at around 54 volts, and sagged down to around 52 volts after couple hours and held. I've at least clocked in another 30, 40 hours with the TJ wannabe 300B, and they are still hanging. The emission is lower, and they don't "bloom" like they used to, but they still sound damn good. It's rich and robust, more colored than a nuetral sounding Sovtek 2A3, but I like it.....and Bass? The bass with these TJ's in my amp is one of their better traits. To me anyway.....

The Sovtek 2A3's emission level dropped, and they started sounding real stale. I cooked the filaments on the Sovteks and got a higher reading for each tube. I haven't tried them in the amp yet.....

Try it...

What's the EH gold grid 2A3's run for a pair?