Ebay Mcintosh tube KT-88 scams on ebay - beware - understand what is happening

Guest " "

There are increasing amounts of mcintosh tubes being offered on ebay as extra sets pulled from equipment when bought new and put away, now offered for sale as a result of the amp being sold, or other story lines.

The fact of the matter these tubes recently being offered are, as current Mcintosh tubes, made by svetlana in russia. Which Mcintosh sells for about 35 bucks each. You have to wonder why folks are paying 400 bucks for a set of 4 KT-88's and 2 pairs of 12XA7's and 2 pairs of 12XT7's sold as "old but new and put away" tube sets.

You can buy these tubes from Mcintosh if you presently own Mcintosh gear. If you do not own Mcintosh gear, and want these tubes, simply look for folks who are selling the sevtlana winged C logo'ed tubes and you will be all set, minus them Mcintosh silk screen. Price for the winged "c" svetlana's are about 35 bucks each.

Also, keep in mind that if you buy tubes in loose qty's....one here...one there....you will not have matched sets...which is important if your amp does not support individual tube bias adjust emnts.

Spread the word on other forums, put an end to this abuse of unsuspecting buyers who think they are getting 25 year old tubes made by Genalex or other Euro tube producers.

It's one thing to sell your used functional tubes, but I would not be surprised if these folks don't even have Mcintosh equipment and are simply buying new tubes from Mcintosh sources.

Here's an example of a svetlana russian made tube with Mcintosh silk screen. It's identical to todays tubes from Mcintosh, and identical to the svetlana winged "C" versions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330084440925&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

Read the comments about his reserve price in questions asked. Clearly his reserve pric is higher than Mcintosh's new price.

I don't see where either of these seller are saying they pulled them out of gear 2 years, 20 years or 50 years ago. In fact the second link even states they were pulled froma current MC-275. As far as the comments about the tubes being from 2005 (at least that is what I take it to mean) that could be a somewhat true statement since Svetlana was still Svetlana before the entire name mess with the reflector plant and New Sencor. But evendently the bidders are not reading the listings properly. $400 is a large some to pay for wing C tubes for sure. But hey that McIntosh name has to be worth something [;)]

I got taken last year by an ebay seller claiming NOS Amperex and GE 12AT7s that were really copies of the originals.

It looked good on ebay photos. The Amperexes came in some what authentic looking boxes but the GEs came in cheap cardboard boxes with stamped labels instead of printed... The one of the Amperexes failed within few hours and the GEs were too microphonic and noisy through Khorns, I had to pull them and put back my old original tubes.

I think Mac users should contact McIntosh and demand that they change

the logo on the tube and clearly identify them as being from

Russia. I would think they would be concerned that crooks are

dealing on their good name.

• Moderators

Yeah but don't some of them come with a really cool wood box? That box has got to be worth a bundle[:P]

Seriously though, GREAT POST speakerfritz. It is not just Mac tubes, you have to be extreamly careful with any tubes you buy off of ebay. I would not recommend you purchase from anyone who is not willing to stand behind thier stuff. There are a number of reputible dealers on ebay who really know there stuff and are willing to stand behind their tubes if they turn out to be noisey, etc. You pay a premium for this but it is well worth it if you are buying Telefunken and other high priced preamp tubes. If you pay 150 for a cca or an 801s and can return it, at least for me, it is a much better proosition then getting a "lucky find" on the same tube for half price only to have it be unusable and then going back and reading the seller's ad to say "I have no way to test this so am selling 'as is.'"

Travis

When I bought my Mac 275 Golds the tubes came in a very nice walnut case. I could see this setup bringing a premium but just for the silk-screening I personally would take a pass.

Yes, and you are also paying for a matched set. There is an overlay that lables each tube so you can insert them in match pairs.

Now explain how the folks that are laying their tubes out on towels for ebay photo's are keeping track of their match pairs.

"explain how the folks that are laying their tubes out on towels for ebay photo's are keeping track of their match pairs."

I guess that an ingenious individual could mark the base.

I would agree that there are other locations from which to get high quality matched tubes,

But as always, if one wants to buy online and also verify that the product is indeed 'as represented', including having the chance to have the product checked out technically, this can all be done via www.escrow.com; and BOTH the seller and buyer are protected and there is no hassle with which to deal - except for the hassle inspecting the goods (and returning them via traceable post if necessary) - much of which any prudent buyer is going to do anyway.

Online sales don't have to be any unrecoverable problem unless you chose a manner that allows them to be so. Using www.escrow.com eliminates fraud. Problem over.

I am personally surprised that this continues to be a problem when such a simple and elegant tool exists to completely avoid this. If the product isn't as represented, return it and Escrow.com returns your money. You never have to deal with the other party. It couldn't be simpler.

All I can gather is that some simply like to make it harder than need be and they just like the excitement of possibly of dealing directly with scammers.[;)]

Why not cover your posterior and make sure what you 'buy' is what was represented and what you want!?

• Moderators

Mas,

A very good suggestion in a lot of cases, but it isn't going to work for tubes. I was not aware that Escrow.com will test the tubes for you, that is good to know, but that is not going to get you there. A tube can measure off the charts on a tester but worthless because of noise. The only way to know for sure is to plug it in your preamp and listen.

Travis