Amps connected to RF-7's

baristaboy7

I have my Rf-7's connected to my Denon 3805 receiver as well as a Bryston 4B ST connected in to the Denon for a little bump in power. I do not seem to notice any increase in bass response or volume from the Rf-7's when the Bryston is powered up. I have the Bryston connected in to the pre-outs of the Denon ( fronts ) . Any input and advice much appreciated. Don

........wow, there should be a huge difference in sound.

I agree! I went from running my RF-7s through a Denon AVR-3802 to using a B&K Ref 200.7 amp, which, in my opinion, is within the same class as that Bryston rig, and I noticed a serious improvement in both the dynamics and clarity, not to mention the bass seemed to be much more accurate with quite a bit more authority - it was a stunning improvement, where I still smile to this day everytime I hear it! You may want to check and re-check your settings as well as your cabling, ie. making sure a speaker is not wired out of phase.

How do you have the RF-7s hooked up to both amps? Do you have the LF/HF jumpers removed and have the Denon hooked up to the LF and the Bryston hooked up to the HF or vice/versa?

Wouldn't you want to leave the jumpers on and hook the RF-7's to the Bryston? I have never had a separate Amp hooked up to my Denon, but that was how I assumed it was done.[^o)]

How do you have the RF-7s hooked up to both amps? Do you have the LF/HF jumpers removed and have the Denon hooked up to the LF and the Bryston hooked up to the HF or vice/versa?

Wouldn't you want to leave the jumpers on and hook the RF-7's to the Bryston? I have never had a separate Amp hooked up to my Denon, but that was how I assumed it was done.[^o)]

That what I figured, unless he was bi-wiring the RF-7s (yeah, I know all the debates about that, but hey - the biwire cable did cost me anything more than single wire, so what the hell, figured it couldn't hurt). Anyway, this is how I have my B&K setup. I have the pre-outs from the Denon going into the input of the B&K, and then the output of the B&K going to the speakers. I am not even using the amp section of my Denon to drive the speakers (except a single pair of surrounds (RS-7s), as the Denon does not provide pre-outs for the 'B' surrounds, only the 'A' surrounds, in my case the RF-5s). I did thought about bi-amping the front mains using four channels of the B&K, then power the center and two of the surrounds with the rest of the channels and drive the rear and the other two surrounds from the Denon. May still try that.

Correct, but the original poster said "I have my Rf-7's connected to my Denon 3805 receiver as well as a Bryston 4B ST connected in to the Denon for a little bump in power."

It sounded to me as though the RF-7s were connected to both the Denon and the Bryston at the same time. I was trying to figure out exactly how he has everything configured so we could give the correct advice.

Correct, but the original poster said "I have my Rf-7's connected to my Denon 3805 receiver as well as a Bryston 4B ST connected in to the Denon for a little bump in power."

It sounded to me as though the RF-7s were connected to both the Denon and the Bryston at the same time. I was trying to figure out exactly how he has everything configured so we could give the correct advice.

I went and looked up exactly what the Bryston 4B-ST amplifier was in terms of specs, more specificaly the power and how many channels. It is a two-channel amp at 250 watts/channel (and a very nice one at that). Unless the original poster can provide more details, I'll assume that he has the Bryston on his two front main speakers (also assumed to be the aforementioned RF-7s), and driving the rest of his setup with the Denon. Yes, the correct way would be to run the pre-outs for the front left and right from the Denon into the input of the Bryston, and then the output of the Bryston to the RF-7s, with the jumper straps in place, unless bi-wiring. I don't think it would be worth the effort to "bi-amp" them by driving the tweeters from the Denon and the bass from the Bryston. I'd drive the speaker as a whole with the Bryston. Again, make sure one of the RF-7s is not accidently hooked up out of phase, for example.

I agree that you were responding to his question. My concern was with only 1 post I wasn't sure of his level of expertise. [^o)]

BTW, welcome to the forum Baristaboy7 [Y]

My Rf-7's are connected through the Denon 3805 speaker connections. The Bryston is connected through the pre-out connection of the Denon as i assume this was the route to follow, I do not have any speaker connections through the Bryston. The Bryston amp should bump the power through the Denon should it not? Cheers....Don

My Rf-7's are connected through the Denon 3805 speaker connections. The Bryston is connected through the pre-out connection of the Denon as i assume this was the route to follow, I do not have any speaker connections through the Bryston. The Bryston amp should bump the power through the Denon should it not? Cheers....Don

No. The way you have it set up the Denon is driving your speakers.

..you want to leave the jumpers on and hook the RF-7's to the Bryston

Run don't walk and get a high powered Earthquake Cinenvoa Grande amp, recently rated the best amp for HT last year. I have them run my Dean's upgraded RF-7's with a JL Audio Fathom and it clearly rocks. It nearly brings tears to my eyes, it's so powerful, clean, fast, and crystal clear. i hear everything and I feel it as well. Check them out, you owe it to yourselves. When I hear toys like Rotel, Denon, Bryston, Yamaha, have to chuckle. C'mon guys, who is kidding whom?

Oh no! You got that all wrong!

If you still have your speakers hooked up to the Denon and only have the Bryston hooked up to the pre-out's, no speakers hooked up to the Bryston, the Denon itself is still driving the speakers and the Bryston is just acting as a very expensive heat sink and room warmer. That is why you are not hearing any difference in your sound.

This is how to correctly hook up your rig to take advantage of the Bryston, which, btw, is an excellent amplifier. Check out this review on the Bryston 4B-ST that I found. Anyway, this is what you need to do. First, connect the Bryston 4B-ST to the pre-outs for the front left and right, only, as it is only a two-channel amplifier. You will need to keep the rest of the speakers in your setup connected to the Denon. Next, unplug only the front left and right speakers from the Denon, making sure to keep track of how the polarity was hooked up as well as which one was the left and which was the right (I put little pieces of making tape on the wires to keep track of which is which on my setup). Hook the left front main to the channel of the Bryston you have feeding from the front left pre-out of the Denon, and the right to the channel feeding from the front right pre-out, making sure the polarity is hooked up correctly for each one (that is the + to the + and the - to the - on each side). After everything is hooked up correctly as described above - turn on your system, put in your favorite CD and you may also want to get a roll of toilet paper handy as well, because you may just crap yourself at the huge improvement that will most undoutedly make!

The Bryston has enough power, if set up correctly. Crossover settings, speaker placement and other setup issues are probably at the root of the problem. Another amp is not the solution to this puzzle.

Is the Deono set to small on the RF-7s? What is the crossover set to, 80Hz or 200Hz? Are you sitting is a null, i.e., is the bass good in other positions in the room other than the seating positions?

Bill

Just an update on my issue with the amps to my Rf-7s. It became evident that my connections from the Denon to the Bryston were the problem. The jumper cables were not connected properly and the Rf-7,s should have been connected to the Bryston as they are now. I appreciate the input from all and i now have my bump ( big bump ) in power!