chorus II verus cornwall II

mprh

I am a newbie so my question might not be a new one. I have chorus II speakers and love them, but I have a severe hearing loss and I thought the cornwall II's would provide better midrange for dialogue. Am I correct? Does anyone have any other solutions?

Thank you for your help!

Marie

Howdy and welcome to the forum. I have artillary challenged hearing loss. I seem to enjoy the Cornwall and the old Heritage line best. Even Coulter made notice of this when I traded him my Forte ll's for a pair of his older Cornwalls. Then again, most of us have our personal preferences to audio in every form. I believe the other member was saying it was a QUESTION not a QUESTING and was not trying to be rude at all. Just a typo referring to frequencies possible. IMHO only.

Again welcome to the forum

HarryO

mprh:

Welcome to the forum & don't be so quick to get your knickers in a twist.

I think Audio Flynn was trying to say it was a "question" for Klipsch technical (some of us are spelling challenged - that's what the edit function is for). Many of us have experience with a few Klipsch models, but not many of us have experience with all models.

I think most would agree that (within the heritage line) there is an appreciable step up in the mid range with the La Scala, Belle, & Khorn.

James

The Chorus II definetly beats out the Cornwall for midrange clarity....them tractrix horns are really nice. If anything, I would consider moving from Chorus to Cornwall more as a lateral move, trading only minor compromises around. In this case, I think a chorus II has better intellegibility.

but that's just one guy's opinion....if you get the chance, I would highly recommend auditioning for yourself. I would expect someone with hearing damage to hear many things quite differently.

The Chorus II definetly beats out the Cornwall for midrange clarity....them tractrix horns are really nice. If anything, I would consider moving from Chorus to Cornwall more as a lateral move, trading only minor compromises around. In this case, I think a chorus II has better intellegibility.

but that's just one guy's opinion....if you get the chance, I would highly recommend auditioning for yourself. I would expect someone with hearing damage to hear many things quite differently.

I think a chorus II has better intellegibility. New capaciors in the network may improve this more. A very different subject...

I'm with Doc on this one. First, Welcome to the Forum and our own particular brand of Madness!

The Tractrix seems to be much more articulate to me as well. I have Forte II's and Cornwalls and havne't put them head to head yet, but I really really really love my Forte II's.

Michael

I think the crux of the matter is which speaker best compensates
your hearing deficiencies. I would even recommend using an EQ to
compensate, as a measured flat response won't sound flat to you.

I believe there was mention of this in a research paper by Floyd E.
Toole... where they noted that in double blind tests, those with
hearing deficiencies preferred speakers which were vastly different
from those chosen by the general population as well as different from
each other. In other words they preferred those which flattened
their personal frequency response.

Keep the Chorus.. but invest in a parametric EQ

ROb

Welcome, and FYI, both my Grandmother and Mother had hearing loss at an early age (both w/implants age 50), but I am fortunate that my problem is listening impairment NOT hearing. (meant to be a joke).

I agree that EQ can HELP to offset those frequencies where you are deficient, but depends on HOW SEVERE! My mother is 60/80 and despite my efforts to enhance the sound, she still cannot hear certain notes.

Headsets work extremely well in comparing an "open" sound vs "enclosed". If you can discriminate between the (2), this will help you obtain what you seek. On the subject of EQ's, here's my position:

I've always been an advocate of Equalizers in any form 5 band, 10 band, or 30 band (1/3 octave). Since acoustical environments differ, and the human ear is NOT perfect, some equalization is necesary, especially w/hearing impaired individuals IMO. Having said that, I cannot comment on which EQ would provide you the best cost/benefit. Maybe a 10 band can achieve what you are seeking, OR maybe you require more detail as in a 30 band.

I would recommend listening to a system that has this level of flexibility.

Man, you guys are talking about hearing loss, and I am still recovering. Three weeks ago this past Saturday, I "binged" for two hours - at program levels 85dB and several 100+ - and almost four weeks later my left ear is JUST starting to, well, have less tinnitus than it did (I put this originally in a thread called "isn't tinnitus wonderful")?

Moral of the story - indulge safely. I have permanent damage - to some extent - and I just really don't know if it's gonna come back. Probably not. Amazing how a delightful hobby can destroy your hearing for good. Leeme tell ya, listening to a high frequency whoosh most of the day (and I mean a whoosh that EVERYTHING else is listened to THROUGH) SUCKS. It's ALWAYS there......ALWAYS. I call it SONIC SURGERY.

Oh, yeah - the left ear got the most damage because I had already beat it/weakened it real good with car stereo back in the 80's. Unfortunately, the right ear, while it doesn't ring constantly, has also deafened more. Me and the audiologist are gonna be pals. At age 47 (this Wednesday) you'd think I'd know better.....

Chris

Thank you all for your input, I did not mean to "get my knickers in a twist", but I still can pluck me yew!

I guess I wil stay with the chorus II until they implode or whatever speakers do when they are worn out. I will look into the equalizer and see if there is a solution there.ain, aa

Thanks again,

Marie

glen mills Pa

You might also consider purchasing an audio frequency response CD and run those frequencies to get a better idea of what range of frequencies you are hearing and/or ones that are weak.

JJK

This sounds like excellent advice to me & welcome to the forum!