Ribbon Speakers vs. Horns

Me Loves Khorns

Ribbons generally give a much more transparent and spacious sound stage. They are also less efficient.

They work a lot like electrostats, on a smaller scale. I have a pair of Carver Amazing Loudspeakers (version III). The ribbons are 48" tall, giving that open. spacious, non-directional sound:

Posted Image

Posted Image

They radiate front AND REAR, which helps give them that spacious feeling & presence. They really must be heard to understand.

Horns can be shrill if not properly managed (quality crossovers & amps), but almost always provide more "impact"...IMHO. Each have their strengths; it's mostly a personal preference. I have both and enjoy each for different reasons.

Those wide range ribbons are not true ribbons (conductor only, no plastic film), but planar magnetic types.

The planar magnetic 'ribbon' has the conductor on a substrate.

The early Carver 'ribbon' used burglar alarm foil tape (laminated aluminum) on a Kapton (polyimide) film sheet for the diaphragm.

The larger Bohlender-Graebener replacement 'ribbon' uses Mylar (polyester) , the smaller use Kaladex (polyethelene naphthalate).

Somehow, my son, Me Loves Heresy's, posted under me.

He and I had dinner the other night with possibly the only other audiophile in Waco. We were talking about all different types of speakers. He has a pair of Magdepan's, along with some Montana's now. We were discussing how it is amazing that a ribbon can generate sound like they do. Or horns for that matter!

Of course, it's still beyond me how cd's, lp's, dvd's etc. can reproduce sound. Don't understand them, but sure enjoy listening to them.

BTW, the long time audiophile loved the Khorns!

Paul

Somehow, my son, Me Loves Heresy's, posted under me.

He and I had dinner the other night with possibly the only other audiophile in Waco. We were talking about all different types of speakers. He has a pair of Magdepan's, along with some Montana's now. We were discussing how it is amazing that a ribbon can generate sound like they do. Or horns for that matter!

Of course, it's still beyond me how cd's, lp's, dvd's etc. can reproduce sound. Don't understand them, but sure enjoy listening to them.

BTW, the long time audiophile loved the Khorns!

Paul

I am looking at getting some higher end planars. If you want to experiment with ribbons I have a mint pair of maggies that I wil sell for $300.

post-10861-13819322060032_thumb.jpg

I've been running Sequerra ribbons for years. Met-9's Bi polars and T-1's. Nothing compares to Sequerra ribbons. T-1's are the best of the two and would not part with them.

Met 9's are for sale. Very rare. Have original boxes, warranty cards and original manual/spec sheets.

I guess you've never heard a set of big Magnapans being driven with 400 watt monoblocks. It's an impressive sound to be sure. I ran MG 1.5QR's for a decade using a Luxman M-114 and Anthem tubed linestage. A great sound until I heard the diminutive RB-5. Incidently, Mike Sanders of Quicksilver Audio used to work for Magnepan. He now builds tube amps and listens with Klipschorns.

If you are interested in some serious ribbon drivers, forget what you have seen in the small audio settings.

Check out what Stage Accompany and Alcons Audio have been doing!

Until you have, you haven't seen (heard) ribbons!

These are easily some of the most accurate systems I have ever heard in an SR environment. and (especially when horn loaded) have sensitivities that can render you headless. Definitely not a planar! The Dutch know ribbons!

Also, at last years TEF seminar, folks from the Navy demonstrated what they were doing with ribbons - pretty amazing stuff. Some radical new designs are about to hit the market.

Alcons_engl.LR16.pdf

I can phiss louder than planer ribbon planer spritzers.

Hmmmm. Planar speakers, if you are referring to ESL, are not ribbons. And if you can phiss as loud as the Stage Accompany or the Alcons, as much as I'd love to have you visit, you are going to have to take care of business elsewhere!

[;)]

For all you folks that know ribbons as low output low efficiency drivers, you don't know modern ribbons!

Check out what Sound Accompany and Alcons Audio have been doing!

Good grief, yeah I guess.:) Maybe a bit much for the living room though.

The Aurum Cantus G1 sounds really good, and it's 102dB/2.83v. Kind of pricey for a tweeter at almost $500 a pop.

post-3205-13819322072672_thumb.jpg

Oh, and I will edit this in the other entries - I meant STAGE Accompany! My bad!

Dean, Actually they are not too large for the listening room! Well, I might think twice before I go with the multi-unit line array unless you had room to fly it over the dining room table!

But Stage Accompany loads theirs in Studio reference monitors - and a few friends brought some back from Europe expressly for this purpose - using them in a home system. Everyone I know who had heard these has had the same reaction. The clarity of an ESL with the sensitivity of a horn.

If you go to Stage Accompany's website they have details specifically about their use in smaller systems as well.

These drivers are hot! And they sound INCREDIBLE! They sound like their plots look!

Stage Accompany:

http://www.stageaccompany.com/en/