Heresy II problems Help please

lordsummit

I picked up a pair of Heresy II's off ebay europe before christmas, but they've been nothing but trouble. I've twice had the mid driver repaired, the second time it had a brand new coil. It's starting to sound funny again. The sound is just like it's distorting, and is particularly noticeable on piano or guitar, where the note seems to just crack up.

Now I've had a really good poke around inside, and my crossover looks really odd, not a bit like the one in the HII caps thread. The caps aren't on the board, and neither are those two circular jobbies (see I know all the technical terms)

What I'm wondering is, is perhaps the drivers aren't the problem and the crossover is, although strangely enough when I have had the drivers repaired they sound fine. They don't sound too bad at all with most music, it's just really percussive stuff.

I'm wondering what solutions there may be, is there something in the crossover stuffing the driver, or perhaps the driver needs something else replacing, are their gaskets or cones perhaps? I've had a good look at the corssover, and I've ruled out the possibility of a dry joint, so could it be that some of the components need replacing. They look brand new though.

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received, I'm at a dead loss.

Regards from Manchester

Richard

I am guessing that someone may have "improved" the crossover. Again, this is a guess

This could explain a number of the symptoms (distortion, blown driver). If I am right and you have a bad crossover. I would get that fixed immediately. Sending low frequency to a mid or a tweeter will surely damage them. The caps can be easily replaced (solens perhaps) at a very reasonable cost. The other componets you identified are either an autoformer and an inductor. They are a bit more expensive, but yours, if they are the correct value, are probably fine unless they have been physically damaged. Incidentally, the location and the method of securing the inductor is not arbitrary.

Verify the crossover is correct first. Until that is done do not bother with any other mods. Your expression, "dry joint" I assume means a bad solder connection? This is also a good thing to rule out.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Hi Richard.

First off, all of the crossover
components should be firmly attached to the crossover board. Any
that aren't should be repaired.

At the age those are, the capacitors probably should be replaced.
If the squawker (midrange) cap had a short in it, you would get too
much low frequency energy to the squawker and it would buzz.
Traditionally the Klipsch squawkers have been VERY hard to damage, or
blow, so I think you are correct, your problem is most likely the
crossover. Can you put up pictures?

Another cause of buzzing is debris in the magnet gap. If
the gap was not cleaned well when the diaphragm was replaced the debris
will cause a buzz.

I don't seem to have the crossover schematic here or I'd put it up. Maybe someone else will.

I'll do some pictures in an hour or two, when my wife goes out. Crawling on the floor, poking my camera into a speaker enclosure may well confirm her opinion of me as a practising lunatic.

Always best to establish that as early as possible in a relationship as far as I'm concerned. Best wishes in your endeavour.

"First off, all of the crossover components should be firmly attached to the crossover board."

I would normally agree....but there was a run of the Hersey that used point to point wiring of the crossover right on the speaker terminal mounting plate. This particular model did not use the k-55 or the k-77. I was not fond of that version's tone and actually just donated the speakers to good will.

Thanks, seek and ye shall find [:)]

I'll do some pictures in an hour or two, when my wife goes out. Crawling on the floor, poking my camera into a speaker enclosure may well confirm her opinion of me as a practising lunatic.

Excellent- as I always tell newcomers- WELCOME TO THE MADNESS!

The advice the guys are giving you is sage. continue your quest, don't give up on those H II's.

The good news is...talk to Bob Crites...he is very reasonable...unless you can do it yourself...others here can help too...DeanG and popbumper...whomever you choose, you will be pleased and finally have what you thought you bought...welcome by the way.

Bill