Erlands Khorn Project

Erland

I am sorry for dissapearing halfway through the pricture thread last fall.

I have been working a lot, and my project has been status Q in my garage for a while.

But thats how DIY-projects sometimes goes. To me hifi-building are just as much relaxation and recreation, and some of the enjoyment are the way to the good sound. Last shown was the complete "package" standing in the garage. I can't find the server adress of that picture, but I will update when i can.

Here are the woofersection before I closed it.
bass10.jpg

Here are the crossover complete

topp%20009.jpg

The most of you will probably recognise this as Al Klappenbergers ES 400/5800
The brown "cinnamon stick" looking things on top of the transformer are Duelund graphite/silver resistors
The white rather fat internal wires are 10ga solidcore 99.99% pure silver, as all internal wiring in the horns

Here are my own design of the top section.
You will probably recognise the trachorn aswell.

I opted for a rounded off "cabinet" that can be directed to optimise the listening position without looking misplaced out of angle with the woofer horn.
The top will be standing on Soundcare "superspikes"
The picture are taken after it was varnished an slightly sanded. Of this reason it have a "dusty" look.
The loudspeaker cloth are stretched on a thin plywood frame, and the cabinet are fully open except from the top and bottom plate.
topp2.jpg

K55V.jpg

CT125bakplate.jpg
CT125.jpg

Thank you very much for the friendly comments. It means a lot, especially when it comes from you guys!.

Believe me, part of the reason for the slow progress are that a lot of thinking - looking and rethinking has been done before I started to cut and build.

As said, I am offshore for work now, and a week will pass before I can build and post more pictures.
I have a series of pictures on my home-desktop on how I made the "self supporting and detatchable" side grilles. If you are interested I can post them also.

By looking through my external hard drive i found the "grille-pics"

The frame!
It is important that the frame fits exactly between the top and bottom, for good fit and still allow it to be removed.
Note the round pin in the front. Without it, a sharp edge will appear towards the horn.
topp%20001.jpg

Put it on a precut piece of loudspeaker cloth
topp%20002.jpg

Pull around, tight evenly and fix with as many staples as you possibly can
topp%20003.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Now it plays music - and how it plays[:D]

The plan was to take the woofer-horns into the house last night, to stabilize temperature before i lay the veneer on them. Then I got the bright idea of "just testing" to hear if everthing was OK.

Bad Idea. It took 9 hrs before I turned the music off around 4 in the morning.

Not a study of design and wood finnish yet, but they sound really good.
Kompl%20001.jpg

Kompl%20002.jpg

And before you drop some comments reagarding the lack of dusting and cleaning of my system. DON'T!
I've been busy!

I'm a bit confused on the venting of the bass bin from khorn to speakerlab. I was under the impression that early Khorns were vented and that speakerlab also vented their earlier versions but the later Khorn and Speakerlab discontinued this practice. I do know the Speakerlab plans I used had no extra venting but I almost bet that the extra space by venting will lower the resonance slightly for lower bass but perhaps less output slightly above the resonsant freq.

Listening experience after first days:

Top and mid sound sweeter that any Khorn i have heard, but the "lifelike" resolution is still there.
The woofer started off like "kicking an empty shoebox" but now it starts to soften some, and sounds really promising.

Every time we leave the house, I put Eminem on replay to beat some life into the woofers.

Another thing I have noticed, is the very wide sweetspot. I can move around in the room, but the musicians remains in their place between the speakers. Previously with the RF5, I could hardly move my head before the whole orchestra went into one speaker.

I am very satisfied with my new horns!

Uhhhh, just to unplug the speakers to do this was hard.
I rather play music, but I realize that I have to do sometime anyway.

Maybe this can be called veneering 1-2-3?

The product, the glue and the woofer cabinet:
finer1.jpg

The cabinet and the veneer sprayed with glue (waiting to dry):
finer2.jpg

Finnished:
finer3.jpg

Finally done:

ferdig.jpg

And how do they sound?

In total the horns have played music for 30hrs or so. Way to litle to soften the bass membrane, and have all to large caps "burnt" in.
But it sounds very promising. Good soundstage, with a very wide but focused sweetspot.

Thank you very much to all of you who have contributed with ideas and inspiration during the building process, and especcially Al Klappenberger for patiencely ansvering all my questions regarding crossover and building of them, and to Bob Crites for supplying the drivers.

I will be back with another "picture-post" when I start to build monoblocks to go with the horns.

This already sounds great!

Tonight I have done some testing with angle and adjustment of the seperated top cabinet. It is very obvious that by spreading the angle from the corner, the soundstage and perspectve of the perfomers on the record, become more fixed. In general terms, the performers get released from the speakers and steps out on a virtitual stage between the horns. I have never heard a khorn do this to the same degree before!

I strongly recomend khorn users to try this out!

Curious to what glue you used for the veneer... and how did it work for you?

I strongly recomend khorn users to try this out!

I've been considering converting a pair of khorns to have adjustable tops... and you've come up with an intriguing solution to it...[:)]

nice work...

ROb