Houston Bay Area (Seabrook) Listen-in

Mallette

Rick Rigler and his wife will be coming over this coming Friday night for an audiofest. My system description is in my profile for any interested. If you'd like to join us, please contact me via regular email (I DO check PM's, but often forget) and I will provide directions. Any source material (digital files, LP's, 78's, CD, SACD, DVD-A...no cylinders, please) is welcome as well as equipment.

I generally have a supply of libations available.

Ping Pauln...love to hear a few of those 78's, especially blues, big band, etc. Hope you can join us.

Dave

Dave:

I used to live in Seabrook back in the '90s -- right off of Repsdorph road for most of my time there. Clear Lake is one of the best places to live in Houston in my opinion. I enjoyed my time there. The humidity can be tough though. Still have a lot of friends there, but unfortunately with time, communication seems to become more and more infrequent. Several years ago, after I moved away, one of my friends that still lives there called me up and asked me if $400 was a good price for Cornwalls. It seems they were selling a used pair at the Klipsch dealer up in Houston. I told him to run over there and get them before someone else does. If he decided he didn't like them, I'd buy them from him. I think he ended up getting them for $350. Well, that was about ten years ago and he still hasn't asked me for any money. I guess he liked 'em. Maybe I'll let him know of your open invite and he can drop in from probably just down the block. I don't know if he's heard Klipschorns yet so it would probably be a treat. I know I enjoyed the time I visited your place for what I think was the very first Hornhead gathering.

Funny how things turn out sometimes...

Have him get in touch, JMON (and good to hear from you). My cell is 832.498.3830 if he doesn't get the word in time to email and get directions. Pauln has rung in and is going to try to bring a box of select 78's (YUM! Time-tripping!!). Rick is bring a couple of 2A3 monoblocks which we'll be able to A/B through my Niles switch to my ST-70 (or the class d, if we should care to).

Should be fun.

Dave

Hello, names' Dave Dudley and I live in Baytown , have a sail in Seabrook area, have been a Klispch guy for many years ,my horns were bought from Home Enterainment in Clear Lake 31 years ago and they have been my main speakers for all these years, I have tried several others but have always ended back with the horns . The FORUM is fun but I enjoy the wars and whatevers that take place,I have several tube amps,.pres, that I am not using and would like to sell ,low price,pick -up only , check my feed back on Ebay DADUDLE OR AGON, same id it is good to find others close that have k horns,etc. all my feed back is that of a buyer and my email is not to try and sell anything just nice to have K PEOPLE arond, take care, Dave Dudley/281-424-8661

Well, dadudle, you are welcome to join us, just PM for directions. Pauln: I can assume you rec'd the directions via PM? RIck?

Got the listening room (at least) spiffed up a bit. Gave some thought to trying to clean up my wiring mess...decided it was not a good idea right before a listening! Always something goes south in such a situation.

Still a lot of stuff I have not relocated after the move nightmare, but it will turn up. In the meantime, there's a couple of thousand LP's, group o' digital, passle of 78's and enough breadth of materials to satisfy almost anybody (if you want rap or hip-hop, best bring your own).

Dave

I'm in the market for a tube pre with phono, but I gotta warn you
it's a bad time of the year for me money wise. Feel free to drop
me a email or PM and let me know what you've got. Not trying to set up
a low-ball just don't want you to think you are wasting your time.

I'm hopeful Dave or Paul would help me out with pickup etc. since you want to keep it local.

Alrighty, then. As you will be able to see, my room is smallish, but adequate with about 14 feet horner to horner. I'll leave it to Paul, Rick and Terry to comment on most things imaging and quality wise. First off, yes, the wiring is yet a mess. I contemplated re-working and dressing it yesterday but it was working and I've learned "the day of" is no time to go messing with things. Paul brought the Wrights and Rick the bottleheads. The Wrights were obviously more powerful at 3.5 watts [:P]. Nothing shows off 'horns like SET. While I remain satisfied with my ST-70, "gravy" will be having a pair of these someday to taunt the 500 watt crowd. Wanna build'em for me, Rick? I think we pretty well covered the range from "Vespers of 1610" to Ricki Lee Jones (and a superb pressing it was). Paul graciously left me a stack from his 1600 disc 78 collection which I am looking forward to sonically perusing.

There was much more, but I'll leave it to them to describe. For my part, I am just delighted to make new hornhead friends in our new home and am looking forward to more such events. Hornheads and Bottleheads should be friends...(with apologies to Hammerstein).

Dave

post-9494-13819325187022_thumb.jpg

Well, Travis and Jim, can't tell from your responses whether you are seeing them or not. Links appear good and I can see from another computer in the house. Anyway, will proceed under the assumption they are there.

So, these are Ricks monoblocks. Loved 'em. They are situated in front of my Van Alstine/ST-70. The Niles box to the right of the ST-70 allows hot switching of power amps. I use it to switch from my Panasonic Class D to the ST-70. I've another switch to do the same for the Van Alstine Super PAS4i preamp and the Panasonic (which is a receiver). We wound up with a 60 hz hum we elected to ignore rather that go through the pain of tracking down (well, we did try a few of the basics). Just turned it up and drowned it out. It was not the fault of the bottleheads.

post-9494-13819325189556_thumb.jpg

Bit wider view of the room. Paul is NOT in the sweet spot. That's the VPI Scout/JMW in the upper left. HD monitor in the center, Empire 598 on the right (78rpm). The Cornie is a Silver Cornwall mod I traded from Mike Waters. It has 60 lbs. of lead in the base (not bass!). Thankfully, it is easily removed for transport. That is PWK on top of the 'horn on the right. The manuscript on the wall is a Spanish Palm Sunday Mass dated 1585. That is Rick and Terry on the futon. If you are wondering about the fan in the door, that door is my access to the wiring. If I am running tubes and all in the summer with the entrance door closed, it can get pretty warmish. I open the access door (leads to a sink room off the guest bath, also used for record bathing when required) and turn that on to circulate air.

post-9494-13819325191196_thumb.jpg