Klipsch closed

colterphoto1

Good description Pat- if it hasn't been dropping about an inch of the white stuff every hour, it's been drifting or alternately sleeting a nice icy coating.

I've got a guy hired to plow my drive but everybody with a plow is backed up with commercial high-paying jobs. If he comes here too early, like tonight, I might be drifted shut again by morning. I have about 200' of winding driveway. My Honda Accord will pull right through 4-6" but not drifts. I have to hope that the drifting calms down or my guy doesn't come until near morning in order to get to work tomorrow.

It could be worse, when I lived in Rush County, the trucks would maybe hit every road once in a 24 hour period, there was no salt, and the farm fields would allow massive drifts. With a house every 1/2 mile or so it was pretty desolate going.

Wish me luck gang. And y'all stay warm tonight!

Michael

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our electric has been off and on for the last few hours. Lots of ice building up in the trees with a nice compliment of branches coming down. Not too far from here a 9-year old girl was killed by a falling branch as she was walking her dog in her front yard.

Oil lamps, a fire ready to be lit in the fireplace, every candle in the house(looks like a video from the Police in the early 80's), rechargable flashlights, enough food for 9-10 days and come morning a good book to read if Duke Energy can't hold their end up anymore.

Nothing good comes from this, and to think Cromwell, KY will be able to catch chickens tonight and slaughter tomorrow.........yeah, right!!! MAYBE!!

Trucks stuck everywhere in the Midwest..........a pure LOGISTICS nightmare come true! So how many of you would like to be stuck in a big rig 800 miles from home?

Stay warm folks, and at least you have the internet (so long as you have power)

It has been a saving grace that the public school system and so many business closed today (and hopefully tomorrow). All the DOT managers say that has allowed them to do a much more efficient job of clearing the streets due to the greatly reduced traffic and stuck vehicles.

I've still not seen my plow guy by here, but it's blowing and drifting like crazy so hoping he's waiting it out to attack once the deluge stops. It's bitterly cold outside and the snow just keeps on falling. My car is drifted in to the tops of the tires right now and I've cleared it entirely once. There is just too much to move by hand.

Hope Cincinnati doens't get more ice, it's really bad when the electicity shuts off. I have gas fireplace and Kerosene heater (which I hate to use). Thank God for all the insulation I had put in last summer. I'll follow suit and get the candles and flashlights handy.

M

I just got back from a Horrific adventure! Tried driving out my drive way, got stuck. Got into the street and finally got going. Headed to the Gas
Station 1 1/2 blocks from home (I know I should have walked! ). On the way back, trying to turn into my street , got stuck again. 4 Guys stopped
and helped me get going...............finally got half way into my drive way and couldn't go any further. Parked and came inside...............

Yes- as Michael says- it is Mean out there !

Hey Mike - there's lots more snow coming your way....we've got snow drifts covering cars in the parking lots - totally insane. I've also seen 3 buses get stuck and could hear about dozens of others on the bus radio. Man it's been a blast - just got word that school was cancelled tomorrow too! [Y]

10 PM EST, Central Indiana still under BLIZZARD WARNINGS, it's 14 degrees out, -7 wind chill, winds at 30 mph, visibility zero at times. Most of northern Indy has reported 10-12 " of snow, 4-5 FOOT drifts out in the countryside NW of Indy. We are due another 4-5 hours of this before it breaks.

This is as bad as I've seen it here in years. I don't have a very good feeling about tomorrow. There weren't many vehicles out today that didn't have 4WD.

Console your Transportation/Traffic Director, as he probably isn't having fun either!

I bet ppl made a run for bread, water, kerosene, gasoline/diesel, and of most importance:

Toilet Paper, and BC for the women!

LMAO, which reminds me of a story: When I drove my DJ friends wife (Norma) to Indy back in 1977-79(??), they had a BIG snowstorm that winter where the population boomed 9 mos later.

Perhaps some of you may remember that, and he was a DJ (station unknown, big market). Dave Hale was his real name, and not sure if he had an alias. In fact, they named their son after me...........poor fellow!

Morale of the story: Make good use of your time, and be careful[:D]

UPDATE: 1039pm EST, Washington, IN Turkey operations CLOSED Wednesday. Hope nobody wants Turkey or Chicken........looks like Kroger, Jewel, Dominicks, Roundy's, Sherwood, Rosebud and Crown will be ordering heavy by EOWeek.

I just caught my neighbor's subcontracted plow guy and offered some greenbacks for a 'side job', so I'm getting cleared out right now. Just walked the drive again to punch out the border for him- it's knee deep in spots with layers of the nice crunchy ice holding it all together.

The guy just did Pacer Jermaine O'Neils big place and said that it was drifting so bad that when he got to one end of the estate it was completely covered at the other end. He did two turns and gave up for there. I guess it's not as bad here in the inner city where I live.

I might just make it out tomorrow.

Closing down the company is a good idea. A lot of us -- and I am one -- have the notion that you get work no matter what. But it becomes counter productive and robs from family responsibilities. And then the clean up crews for the roads can't do their job.

Remember Mike was selling his super-mint Belle? I was the purchaser and planned to drive Chicago to Tennessee this coming weekend. Now I've cancelled the trip. (Mike says that is okay.) I'm being a bit cautious about forcasts. The weekend could be okay but this is should be a stress free, happy journey.

Things in Chicago are not too bad in my view (but bad enough) in that I've been around for past major long term blizzard conditions. On the other hand, today, localized conditions, and short term conditions really bog down traffic including CTA buses.

Right now we've got high winds, light snow, and slushy streets. This is going to become dangerous when temperatures go below zero F in the coming days. The salt will stop working.

Gil

It is starting to ice up pretty badly here in Fredericksburg. For the most part, it looks like we avoided the worst of it, but I think we are going to be in it tommorrow. Looks like I may not be going to work tommorrow. The snow is one thing, but when it starts to ice up and turn into one giant ice skating rink - no thanks:

Of course, when I am thinking of snow, this is what I have in mind... (Yup, that is picture from this past Saturday where I ski patrol at):

top-of-6.jpg

Hey Who have fun!

Seriously, if you guys venture out please put lots of warm stuff in your vehicle for when you get stuck.

JT

Yep, got the wagon full of blankets and a few snacks, but I can't even get outta my parking lot. Even if I could drive over the 4 foot snow drifts, I would still have to navigate around all the other people that have already tried and gotten stuck. It's gonna be quite an ordeal for the plows to get my parking lot cleared up.

Who

Fox just said Syracuse is contemplating cancelling classes tommorrow for the 1st time in 14 yrs...must be bad.

Going back over to watch the train wreck jub thread. I can't think of a better guy than Dean to have jub's with all his experimenting skills & I betch Roy will be interested in Dean's results.

Our power just came back on from a 2 1/2 hour hiates. Fallen branches all over the place. There are two branches about 2"-3" dia. that fell on my roof and are leaning on the guy wire supporting the mast for my 200 amps. They are also leaning on my cable and phone lines. None of the lines are distorted enough to snap them but it sure looks procarious.

Sheila's (my live-in girfriend) ex-husband worked for the phone company but he didn't have decent enough sense to leave at least one lineman's hard hat when he left[^o)] so I had to break out my 28-year old skateboarding helmet so I could go outside to see what all has fallen. The biggest "DOH" was when I heard some cracking right above me on the street so I started running away. That is till I figured out that was the sound of the sleet hitting the old lid.[:$]

I am definitely not going in to work tommorow. They can pay me or I can claim a vacation/sick day. I went in today when most of the other people in my office threw in the towel and I did the work of two people. Now it's my turn. I even walked to the Park-n-Ride for the bus 1 1/2 miles away through a construction zone to catch my morning nap (I mean 'commute') just so my very-soon-to-be-paid-off car can stay in the garage where it's clean. Will probably plug in the engine block heater tomorrow.

AS A RIMINDER PEOPLE!!! IT'S TIME LIKE THIS THAT TELL US TO UNPLUG OUR BELOVED SYSTEMS IF YOU CAN. THAT INCLUDES AC POWER, CABLE, SAT....EVERYTHING. EVEN IF YOU HAVE SURGE/SPIKE PROTECTION IT WON'T HURT TO GO THE EXTRA STEP.