For Sale: Nos Valves Rebuilt Scott 222C

tdb

• 3 weeks later...

This is hard to believe that it isn't SOLD................Good way for SS'er's to try Tubes............If I didn't have a 299-D, I'd buy it............

This is the type unit Colter should consider...........Really, Mike, it's NOSvavled.........Custom made for Colterphoto1......EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coulter,

A 222C in this cosmetic and un-rebuilt condition would cost at least $300 on ebay and would be a gamble to some degree. Then factor in the cost of a complete no compromise rebuild like this one received and your nearing the $800 mark with a 3 month wait for me to get to it. I posted in this thread that this amp at this price is a good deal. To me this is a no brainer hassle free purchase. All the Scott integrated amps are nice sounding one person may prefer one particular model over another but in the end there is no way for me to say what model each person will like the best. Different cuts from the same beef cow type of thing.

Craig

Just about all Scott integrated amps including the 222C have a center channel line level output. This can be used to feed a signal into a separate amp to power a center channel or to a powered subwoofer. Some of the later D series amps had a amplified center channel also to power a center speaker without a extra amplifier (But I personally think it doesn't work all that well).

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finally de-lurking to express my thanks to the forum, and Craig and Todd in particular, for helping me along in the direction of my current setup. Based on the informed opinions (and pathological bickering) of many on this list, I was able to start making some educated choices and putting together a new 2-channel system.

I began last year by buying a Rega P2 and making good on a long-time threat to begin collecting Beatles on Parlophone (still working on that, though I'm getting along nicely). Then I was lucky enough to acquire a pair of Forte II, a pair of KG 5.2, and an Academy locally in one fell swoop for $700. And finally a couple of weeks ago, ready to enter the brave old world of tube audio, I contacted Craig (who was not crusty in the least) to see if he had any Scotts for sale in his shop. Unfortunately he didn't, being the busy guy he is, but he was kind enough to point me to this 222c. I got in touch with Todd, who cut me a great deal on it, and I received it last Friday.

I have been in music nirvana for damn near the entire weekend. I'm particularly happy to hear what this thing does to my CDs, although I'm beginning to hear just how terribly some of them were recorded or mastered. Another downside is that I can tell I'm going to be spending more on vinyl in the near future. But I guess that's my burden to carry [:D]

Again, thank you to everyone here for the invaluable information that allowed me to get to this point. I truly couldn't have done it without you.

--Eric

Aw shucks, thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Hopefully I'll have something useful to contribute one of these days, other than drooling over all your set-ups.

-- Eric

PS: Sting's The Soul Cages CD sounds incredible on my system! I wonder if that's partly due to the Q-Sound process they used?