Emotiva MPS-1 setup pics/initial thoughts

JetJockey

Hi folks, finally got the new amp yesterday, for those of you who are interested I took some pics of setting these up mainly do to the Power Module design and also the sheer size and heft of this brute.

Posted Image

This box took a few direct hits...hoping its ok.

Posted Image

Packaging is first rate( good thing) all double boxed, this the chassis in its black cloth sack.

Posted Image

The chassis unveiled,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Check out the packing on the power modules, boxed, each module in its own box and this inside

]Posted Image

Posted Image

Hey James, Detroit...lol, sorry had to spend some time with it last nite(about 5 hours) to get an early assesment. First thing I noticed is an overall much fuller sound, drums and bass lines are much more pronounced and well defined. The yammy used to have a problem where the LF channel would not come up evenly with the others, especially noticeable in 2 channel listening and concerts etc, it was always too low( i'm pretty sure), now the imaging in 2 channel is much much better, soundstage was good before now seems to be wider. Overall response is amazing, everything appears much smoother especially when you really give it some serious cranking. Also noticed with some tracks, the whole soundstage seems to rise up way above the speakers( really weird actually the first time it happened). Put on Norah Jones, "feels like home", and I have to say that this disc always sounded great, but OMG, you want to hear the dynamics of this is a thing of beauty, her voice is like you are in the studio and when the piano comes in , its hard for me to explain I'm obviously not a reviewer, but it just seems to fill the room and your whole body with each chord being struck by the hammer.

My wife says it puts a smile on her face(she loves Nora) and its really rich, lol.

As of note, the usual crap sounding Cd's still sound like crap, if in fact its possible ,even crappier...[;)]

Any suggestions on some really excellent sounding discs(audiophile quality like Nora) would be much appreciated, I'm getting really tired of buying discs that sound terrible.

. Ok, example, wife has Michael Buble upstairs so I thought, hey this guy is kinda swing/jazz, David Foster producing, playing piano should be pretty good right? Sounds good to start untill I realise there is about 0 and I mean 0 dynamic range on this disc, its so hot and commpresed so bad its really hard to listen to, its ok when he sings with just one other instrument but when the band kicks in or he really belts out a tune its just horrible. What a disgrace, they should be ashamed of themselves. Rant over, LOL.

haven't had a chance to see what movies are like yet, was concentrating on music. Will do some movie testing today.....such as Star Wars pod racer scene, superbit Black hawk Down (DTS), Top Gun (DTS6.1) any others you guys can think of..have most of the "big" sound oriented films...oh...U571 (DTS)..should be good too

News at 11..[8-|]

Those movies are great for demoing LFE tracks but for surround, I might try listening to the rain in "Open Range" or the scene in "The Incredibles" where the son is getting chased through the jungle. "An American Haunting" is a soso movie but really has some great surround effects. The vocals in "The Phantom of the Opera" would be nice to critique on your new amp also.

Hey guys, played the Incredibles and sound all around was just awesome, so much power and punch and of course never any sign of distress and I had her really ripping. I have Open Range(just bought it) and will check that out. Now going to watch LOTR "Return of the King"....should be fun...

Hey guys, played the Incredibles and sound all around was just awesome, so much power and punch and of course never any sign of distress and I had her really ripping. I have Open Range(just bought it) and will check that out. Now going to watch LOTR "Return of the King"....should be fun...

It don't get any better than that!! Enjoy....

Congrats,good to hear it's working out.I bought the lpa1 for my 2nd setup,it's just as good as the Outlaw,Parasound,BK,Rotel,ATI etc..I've owned w/similar power,at 1/2 the cost.It's even better than some more powerful amps I've had.Emotiva may look like a small company,they make other products too,Dan told me they done $25 million last year.

Fish, yes I totally agree with that given my limited experience with the MPS1 so far. The first thing that grabbed my attention was the super heavyduty build quality and precision with how it was designed and made. This is one serious bad a** amp is all I can say.

Watching (listening) to LOTR last nite was just simply out of this world, my old Yammy was really good or so i thought but the difference is really quite alarming. As you all know, there are alot of soft passages and then huge peaks in power, this is where I noticed the biggest difference, it is obvious that the Yammy just plain ran out of steam and certain amonts of the soundtack were being lost in the fray. Again, bass respnse being massive and tight, one scene where the Orgs are advancing on the castle and those trolls are beating the drums was one of those holy s**t moments, also when the Orgs were winding up their catapaults and releasing their thunder was really awesome.

Anyway, so far all I can say is WOW, music is fantastic and the movie experience just went through the roof....lol, literally.

Hey detroit, you won't be dissapointed and isn't the price a steal ? its truly a bargain. I wouldn't have got an amp for another 6 months but this I could afford, now I'm going out to get my RC64 this aft!....lol, has to be done and they are giving me a great trade on the 62 and besides the cherry 64 will now match my 83's[:D]

Btw, if you ever want to come up to Waterloo, 3 hours maybe? give me a shout and we can play with the HT.

Chris.

Ya know IMO, with the price of Emotiva or Outlaw separates, it doesn't make sense anymore to buy avr's. The above review speaks to what discreet processing & power does for listening enjoyment.

I agree with one exception,those that have not owned a variety of gear may find it easier to operate/integrate an avr.

• 2 weeks later...

"Any suggestions on some really excellent sounding discs(audiophile
quality like Nora) would be much appreciated, I'm getting really tired
of buying discs that sound terrible."

When I'm demoing my K'horns to someone for the first time, I either Nora, Diana Krall (can't remember the title) or Keb Mo (Keb Mo). I'm no audiophile, but these are all three excellent recordings available on CD in my opinion. I'm a big fan of how Keb Mo sounds on my setup...

Steve

• 1 month later...

Ive heard great things about the Emotiva and Outlaw amps but havent found anything about how they are with the Heraige line. Also, I wonder if the LPA-1 would produce similar awesome upgrades from my current "higer end" receivers. Higher end being subjective I know.

I want something smooth, warm, with alot punch. Thus far ive been looking at Rotel and Parasound while using my HK receiver as a preamp/processor. Is it worth upgrading to a real pre/pro?

I am considering a new Outlaw or Emotiva amp. One thing I cannot find is power ratings in regards to headroom on these amps. They each have amps rated to deliver 200 WPC all channels driven simultaneously, but what is the headroom on these babies?

I still have not made a decision on what I am going to get. I may even go with a NAD T973, rated at 140 WPC with all channels being driven, but 200 WPC in stereo mode, and the headroom is great (what is posted at nadelectronics.com).