set question, differances between 300B, 2A3, 45

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

45: Laughably low power. Will compress/clip just about any signal fed to it louder than a chick jazz singer performing in a motel lounge, whispering throatily to drunk businessmen. For the most extreme of the "less is more" crowd.

2A3: Not enough power to do justice to full spectrum music. Unrealistically heightened midrange--hence, sounds like music you've never heard.

300B: More power, but lacking the so-called magic of the 2A3. SET for people who want it both ways (magic midrange *and* power) but they wind up heavily compromised in both areas.

Hi Joe, I have owned both the 2A3, and 300B amps. My opinion on the 2A3 is that it sounds very nice and is very musical, but it lacks total control of the bottom end. Now with the 300B you get much better control of the bottom end, and the music is as good as the 2A3. As far as the differecnes go musically they are minute. You really have to be critical about listening for this difference. If you have a nice amp with the right tubes you can achieve the sound you like with either amp, I prefer the 300B because it does allow for more room. I have no expirence with the 45, so I have no opinion.

Jay

The Brook 2A3 was one of PWKs favorite amps although it was a PushPull configuration.

I love the 300B just make sure the amp uses high quality transformers. My biggest audio gear regret is selling my Canary Audio 300B SET amps : ( I have McIntosch MC30s which are great but they still don't best my SET amps although I don't have optimal tubes in the MC30 yet so I will reserve final judgement until then. I would suggest starting with it and moving to lower power if you want but don't rule out 211 or 845 higher powered SET amps.

Someone posted posted the SPL calculator which may be of some help to you. http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Good luck!

I have tried all three, on my Fostex 94DB/watt BLH speakers (fe166). the 45 sound ok, nothing special because it couldnt drive them to well, like an am radio. The 2a3 is magi with these speakers. drives them, bass is to die for, volcals are nuthing short of someone in the room with you singing without electronics. as the speakers are limited over 15k they do just fine.

The 300b had more power but nowere near the magic of the 2a3, when I say magic I mean how the music is just in the air I'm sorry if I cant expain it correctly.

Now hooking up the 2a3 with my Lascalla, I was disapointed.(I did do it before I changed the 40 year old caps in the x-over)

SET with the right speaker is realy something to hear and enjoy. Its not to everyones taste.

Joe, I don't know any/all the technical differences.

I DID own a pair of Wright 2A3 amps as well as a pair of Transcendent SE-OTL amps (I bridged them at 4 wpc). These were on my Khorns.

They BOTH sounded fantastic "within their operating range" (meaning I love more volume than they put out so I was always a bit frustrated with their limited power)

Within their power range though, they did sound fantastic. I ended up thinking I liked the OTL amps a bit more so I tried to do as close an a/b test with the wife to ask her which sound SHE preferred. Whether or not I did the test 'accuratly' doesn't matter to me a whole lot (I was happy with either answer) but she happened to also pick the sound that was consistent with the OTL sound.

They did NOT have the punch in the chest that I so love (neither one). They simply sounded sooooooo fantastically real and "there". A bit moreso in my opinion for the OTL amps.

We all know how plug ugly the Jubilee's are. My wife and her sisters feel the Khorns are ALSO plug ugly. Her sister was over and we're at dinner table and she simply stopped eating and said 'omg, that really DOES sound fantastic'. An unsolicited comment like that coming from someone who had such a predisposition to begrudge my Khorns really meant a lot to me.

I sold the Wright amps and kept the OTL's. Later on, it kept gnawing at me that they only had 4 watts per monoblock so I finally sold them too (when I got the McIntosh MC-30's and MC-2102).

Today, now that I've got the Jubilees and can biamp, I miss the OTL amps. It's quite possible that they'd have enough power for me for 85% of my listening (if used only on the top horn). I've got a solid state doing woofer duty.

I've been debating on repurchasing not only the SE-OTL amps, but also their bigger brother which isn't single ended, but I understand is the nearest to them in sound and has 16 wpc. If I get both setups (2 monoblock SE-otls and 1 stereo 16 watter), I'll try the little amps and see if they can keep me happy. If not, I'll sell them again and put in their big brother. If it too fails, then I'll just keep the MC-2102 and forget about it.

If the SE-OTL amps had the power of the 2102 as well as "their sound" then the 2102 would be gone in a heartbeat (even as much as I LOVE its looks)

If it helps to know... there HAVE been times that the meters on my 2102 have danced on the 100 wpc mark (yes it was rather loud [:|]) I'm not sure any of the smaller amps would end up making me happy, but that's just me & my quirks.

Why are you asking other people? You need to hear those differences for yourself. A better question is, "Who out there lives close to where I live and will let me hear their 300B, 2A3, and/or 45 tube systems?"

If you listen too much to other people, you'll wind up with what they like and not what YOU like.

Why are you asking other people? You need to hear those differences for yourself. A better question is, "Who out there lives close to where I live and will let me hear their 300B, 2A3, and/or 45 tube systems?"

If you listen too much to other people, you'll wind up with what they like and not what YOU like.

really the thought never crossed my mind[^o)], a novel idea go hear the amps for myself...........................as you would have no way of knowing what i have heard or not i guess ill share..i had limited access to a pair of 300B asl doves, a pair of welbourne 45's, and i oun a pair of 2a3 push pull[:o] if its ok with you i would still like tio hear some more opinions on the subject.........there is a wealth of knowledge out here in the world if we can only listen

Joe

Now that is the best response I have seen, and more than likely the best one that you could have asked for.

Jay

i disagree, im not 10 years old and dont need a lesson in how to buy gear or listen to it, i asked for opinions in what other people found to be the differances.in these particular amps because i was curious to compare , and see if a general consensus exists

i beleive the best response to make is to stick with the subject at hand and if all you are here to do is try to add 2 cent that helps in absolutely no way please dont bother when i need advice on how to buy or listen i will of course post a thread asking for that help

Joe

coytee funny you should mention the seotl i am posistioning myself to get a set of those (spoke with the man this morning) i have every intention of using them bridged as mono's (4 wpc) i did get a chance to hear them in a limited manner and was impressed to say the least (in the end i opted to buy my existing sun audio 2A3 pp monos) but now as funds are comming available again i am thinking i want the seotl's also and will use them in a 2nd system, after playing here at home with them switching between the suns and seotl's of course

Joe

Joe don't get defensive, that was just my opinion. That does not mean you must adhere to it, I was simply saying that I thought that, that was good advice. You do not have to agree with it, If you read my post very carefully you will see that I did not say anything about how to buy or listen. Just what I thought was good advice.

Jay

I agree with you, Canyonman. I'm not sure what Joe is looking for. As a SET owner he must be aware of its qualities, and he's heard others, and several people have already told him in this thread the overall scheme of things.

WHAT IS IT YOU WANT, JOE?

Are you looking for advice on OTL?