Wow, replacment feet/grills are EXPENSIVE but I love these speakers!

Dome

Just recently purchased a pair of RF-3's. Boy am I excited. This is my 2nd Klipsch purchase, the first being the original v2-400 ProMedias about 2 or so years ago. I am currently putting together my first HT setup. In a few months I will get the RC-3II center and then probably next summer I will get the surrounds (or should I get surrounds first do you think?). I am a college student so I have to space the purchases out a bit so I can eat hehe Wink.gif

I am extreamly happy with these speakers, I don't think that I could have done better in this price range. The other speakers I had considered were a set of Infinity (IL30's I think), but those things pale in comparison to the RF-3's.

But man, replacement feet or grills are outragous for these things. The pair I got was actually floor model speakers from a local SoundTrack (300ea, opposed to the RF-3II which are 400ea) and they did not come with any of the feet, but I just figured I could get them from Klipsch for a small price. These things are $8 bucks a piece, which is no big deal if you only need one or two, but thats $64 to get all of them for two speakers! <sigh> Maybe I'll just make my own or something. One of the speakers has a peg broken off the grill too, not really that big of a deal though, especially since replacement grills are $48 a piece!

Oh well, I still love these speakers though :D

This message has been edited by Dome on 12-09-2001 at 03:16 AM

I'm going to be using a Marantz SR-5200. You might consider it as well. I was also looking at the Onkyo 595 and Denon 2802, but the dealer swayed me towards the Marantz as a better value, which seems true at least on paper. I still think the Onkyo 595 is a very good receiver though. I'm going to Texas A&M; I'm actually still living in the dorm for another semester so the RF-3 II's may be a bit of overkill for a while cwm1.gif. Do you have an apartment?

sounddog, thanks for the info, this'll help me out as well.

I had never actually heard of Marantz until now. Looked up that reciever on the internet, looks pretty good though! Not many places sell them around where I live. No 'big name' electronics stores at all in Colo that sell em.

In a dorm huh, Could you even fit surrounds and a center in the room?!? I know I couldn't, I didn't even have space for the RF-3's I have now when I was in the dorms, and even if I could have fit them in, I probably woulda been kicked out of the dorms for noise heh (I lived next door to the RA cwm25.gif). Luckily, nobody lives in the apt below me right now Wink.gif.

Soundog, thanks for the info. I listed to somebody else's HT setup (w/ no center) once, and he must not have had the shadow center setup or something because there was a 'hole' where that center channel sound should have been that was actually kind of annoying. I'll have to research that for my own reciever.

The feet on these models (including my Rp-3s) seem to be the cheapest link. Not sure why Klipsch settled on feet that are so easily broken. Mine were damaged when my building maintenence engineer tried to fix my Air Conditioner. Instead of calling me the night before so that I could move the speaker (with carpet spikes) myself, they tried to brute force it out of the corner so they could do their work. Needless to say, the sheer force was too much for the plastic to handle and I'm left holding two broken feet and a "sorry" from the sh**t for brains.

Rather than taking time from my weekday to call Klipsch customer service (who seem to work only the same hours that I work), I'd rather build somefeet that will withstand unplanned forces. Any ideas out there on a suitable construction?

I was thinking about just making some out of wood and painting or staining them to look good. I don't think it would be hard to fashion some good looking ones that look similar to the original feet. Don't think your gonna break wood either...

Dome, fortunately the dorm room is pretty large for a dorm room (19x12 feet), so I should have room for all the stuff. Marantz is known for their amps. Then again, there has been word of some problems with the latest line of their receivers, so Onkyo is probably a safer choice. You can bet that I'll post my impressions of the Marantz on this BB when I get it though.

hey.. seems like the RF-3's are popular with us college students.. I bought mine the end of the summer (when i got the money). couldn't imagine them in the dorms, that would be insane. i currently have an apartment though and have cool neighbors, so i can play them pretty loud. they r great speakers.. i'll be getting the rc-3 (II maybe) prob at the end of feb.

from what i've read, i think the center may be more important, as long as u got something in the rear (spare speakers?), i used my v.200 sats, until i managed to get a good deal on quintets from ubid.

oh, and it's all being powered by a yamaha htr 5250, nothing special, but i got a good deal on it.

kriton

------------------

System is small, but working on it...

Yamaha HTR 5250

Pair RF-3

Quintet as surrounds...

Monster cable all around

Digital cable (DD5.1 on some stuff)

RC-3 is next

That's all i can afford for now, better than most college systems...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi college kids,

Back when I was in college I got to babysit some Cornwall I's for a year. I had them in my 9'x13' dorm room with an NAD amp and Denon CD player. I had to give the cornwalls back and got some Boston Acoustics. I demoed many speakers and for the $600 price range I liked the Boston's better than Klipsch KG's. I'm now back to big Klipsch with some KLF-30's (still have the old Boston's though) with the same amp and CD player. Cornwall's were definitely *not* overkill for that small room.. they are very amazing loudspeakers.

My point... It's good to buy the best you can afford now because you might have it for many years to come!

Enjoy your RF 3's! I listened to some in the store and they are sweet speakers at an awesome price.

Mace

• 2 weeks later...

Feet on all Klipsch Reference models were upgraded to a heavier, higher density material. Now you can tilt the speakers (even RF-7) onto 1 or 2 feet without fear of a broken foot.

BobG,

When I move my RF-7's around I tilt them from one spike to the other.Never broke anything.

Most of the time I lift them,these are under 100lbs not so bad and can be lifted easy by one person.

I have my weightlifting belt around(when you have a Krell amp at over 180lbs you have to have the right tools Wink.gif )

OH MY BACK HURTS LOL

cwm44.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

quote:

Originally posted by Dome:

One of the speakers has a peg broken off the grill too, not really that big of a deal though, especially since replacement grills are $48 a piece!

:D

You could possibly use Crazy or Super Glue to glue that broken peg back in place, if you have the broken peg? It worked for me on my RF-3 grill, has not broken off since gluing. However, I do exercise more caution now when moving or tilting each speaker. If I recall corectly there was a previous post which stated that pegs were available from "Parts Express", not sure if they were applicable to RF-3 Grills, but you can give them a call: 800-338-0531. Won't cost anything to find out.

Good luck with repairs,

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>