TT Set-up help.

PhilMays

Well, it has been YEARS since I had a TT. Even then, the ones I had were crap compared to todays standards, or were they?

I have been working on a 2 channel set-up in my scotch and guitar lounge[:D] and the basis so far are a Marantz 2385 and a Denon 2800 MKII DVD/CD player. I have some small monitor 5 Polk audio speaker.

To my question. I just bought a Rega Planer 2 TT with an RB250 tone arm. I bought the Rega cartridge that goes with this tone arm as well. I have set everything up and played my first album in 20 years...IT STUNK!

Are CD's that much superior, or, have I set this thing up wrong. to my ovservation it seems that I can adjust tracking, weight, and angle in which the cartridge sits in the stylus. Am I doing something wrong, or more importantly, do I need to look at something I have not.

It seems to me that everyone LOVES TT's but the results I got were, well, less than what I expected and much less sound quality than the CD's.

Could it also be the salvation army records I bought. One was a Bob Seaver live record with lots of use. I didn't expect much from it, but the other was a Wyndum Hill winter soltrace with no use that I thought for sure would sound fine....NOPE!

With the many TT people on this forum I can only assume something is wrong wioth my rig.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Signed

Don't know what I'm doing

PS The Scotch is just fine and the guitars are just a little out of tune. However with the more Scotch I drink the more in tune the guitars are!

" I have set everything up and played my first album in 20 years...IT STUNK!"

=================

It would be helpful to know in what WAY it stunk. What didn't you like about the sound?

Do you know anything about the condition of the cartridge? i.e. was it used? How old? etc.

Pictures of you set up would help too. It should sound great. Could be the phono section in that old Marantz receiver too. May be something wrong with it.

" I have set everything up and played my first album in 20 years...IT STUNK!"

=================

It would be helpful to know in what WAY it stunk. What didn't you like about the sound?

Do you know anything about the condition of the cartridge? i.e. was it used? How old? etc.

It is a brand new Rega cartridge that they reccomend for the RB250 tone arm. I purchased this one as someone said that they would work better due to the cleance issues. I do not know enough yet on how to handle that issue.

The music is rather distorted, kind off, well just not engaging.

Also, when I placed the cartridge on the tone arm, it seamed like it could be angled slightly. Could this be off and be the culprit?

I say this because the tracked was set wrong and I had a horrible distortion coming from the left channel until I adjusted it.

I'm just guessing but it sounds like you just bolted in the cartridge and plugged it in. You need to set the tonearm angle, tracking force , anti-skate and head angle using the proper tools. Also your phono amp needs to match your cartridge type and impedance. A pro shop can look at the output on an oscilloscope and check the installation. You might want to have an expert set it up for you.

Thanx, Russ

P.S. If you are an expert........ maybe the cartridge is bad?

Phil,

Lets start with the basics and work up from there.

First off - properly setup this TT with decent vinyl will outplay CD player sonically. It is important we know this before we start so we know something is wrong with the way it is right now. I am not a huge fan of Rega's persay - but I am certain it can sound better than a denon DVD player.

Possible problems:

Faults. The cartridge or the phono stage could be faulty. The motor could be faulty. All your vinyl could be trash.

Cabling. the wires to the back of the cartridge are crossed(miswired), broken, paritally functioning.

The installation of the cartridge/arm is horribly wrong - from overhang to vertical tracking force to azimuth - even antiskating. I think it is important to note that it has to be very wrong to sound as bad as you seem to be implying. In other words - you have aligned the thing so badly that the bottom of the cartridge is dragging along the vinyl surface (just an example - one I have seen).

Problem is Phil - without more information it is very hard to go further - could be many more possibilities besides what I have here - there are just a few of the more likely candidates.

Whats your preamp?

Yes records are unique, some are not recorded well at all , especially live rock. Go get a some good vynle and try again. Also cartridge alighnment and break in is required. hang in there you wont be disapointed it takes work

Thanks for the input. I will assume this thing is not "plug & play". I also went out to my other home today and picked up my vinyl. The first thing I did was put on a Shadowfax record and my vinyl is in far better shape than the Salvation Army junk I got yesterday just to try it out...LOL...

Thanks for the links as well. I think this is going to be very fun trying to tweak it out and get the best sound. I angled the stylus a little a while ago and it did seem to help.

Max, I did in the begining what you commented about. I did not see the tone arm counter weight and tried to play a record and the entire needle "drug" the record for about 15 seconds and sounded like, well, you know.

Anyway, again thanks for the help and the links...

Again, I think this is going to be fun!

Phil:

Your post couldn't have better timing.

I'm the same boat as you for I have just bought a Music Hall 2.1 from Mark and haven't been "WOWED" yet. (a heavy emphasis on, Yet)

A lot has to do with what has been suggested:

1. Playing records that are not great quality and are not in very good condition.

2. There is some work to be done with the tracking and other adjustments.

I do have the "Hi-Fi News" analog test LP and a plethora of other must haves "Shure Stylus Force Gauge, ZeroStat Gun, brushes, etc). Still waiting on my Disc Doctor Cleaning Fluid and pads that are still on backorder from Needle Doctor, which is slowing down my critical listening process.

Until I can muster up the confidence and courage to play the Test LP and my new PF-Echoes LP, the jury is still out.

But, I do have some concerns with the PHONO section of my Scott 299c. There is pretty loud hum and I have tried some of the easy fixes (unplugging it from the line conditioner and plugging it into the wall, flipping the power cord, making sure cords are not overlapping, with power cords etc. The amp is dead quiet when using the "Extra" connection for CD playing. FYI..The TT is hooked up to the MAG 2 Low, inputs on the back of the Scott.

I "Know" that this is going to be fun and how much fun would there be if this was just a "Plug and Play" type of thing? NADA, IMO.

I'm learning something new every day about TT's and I have to thank the knowledgeable forum members for being great teachers and mentors!!

W/O your support and patience, I would not have embarked on this journey!!

JJ

I don't believe I have done those alignments. I'm not sure how to. My vinyl sounded much better, and not as distorted. In fact, really there is no real distortion that I can tell anymore. Just not the out put and clarity I thought I would get.

It really could be my vinyl though. I need to get that Hi Fi referance album and some of the other tools. Any thoughts on where to get that set up album.

Also, How would a Grado cartridge work in comparison? Mdeneen, don't you own the P2 or a Rega? What type of cartridge do you use?

Phil

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the extensive help I recieved in setting up my TT. I certainly got an education! My first error was the Plug and Play mentality. I finially got the cartrige setup (semi correctly). I will need to order a stylus weight guage and a few other items. I also learned that one can't do too many adjustments to a Rega RB 250 tonearm.

However, My biggest problem is my crap vinyl collection. These were album I bought say 20 to 30 years ago. The stuff I liked then was played so much that I practically ruined them. Funny thing is that the stuff I didn't like was not even played through once, and now I appreciate it. So I do have some stuff that is new that sounds fantastic.

I don't ever think I'll have a Max set-up, but I may step up, one day...

Point is, it is nastalgia. I'm spinning records like I did 30 years ago. Albums scattered around, very cool!

Again, thanks for the help!

Phil

This is how it starts Phil. My first TT when I got back into vinyl was a Project RPM4 with a Project phono box and a project cartridge.

I was just lucky (or not) that the dealer set the thing up for me from the off - otherwise my audio might have taken a whole different turn.

Glad you are starting to get some good sounds out of the TT now - got any common recordings between CD and vinyl you can compare?

Phil---

Glad to see you have some progress and digging the vinyl! While you are awaiting the stylus force gauge, you can look at the styles from the front and make sure it is not deflecting more than say 30% as you set the tip down on the record. At least you will be close. Good luck!

Ahhh....another trick! Hadn't thought about that but it makes sense.

Thanks

Phil

Ohh yea, I dont think I do have two of the same recording...another great idea!

Hey Phil,

Here are a few things you should get to help in your vinyl listening pleasure:

http://www.turntablebasics.com/ - Alignment Tool

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=9580 - Stylus Tracking Force Gauge

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=10160 - Hi Fi News Test Record

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=9585&sct=music - Carbon Fiber Brush

Mike