Rc64 in the House! 15' Wall of sonic bliss...pics.

JetJockey

Hey all, ok, finally got my replacement 64 as I have been working for the last 5 days to support my HT/HIFI addiction[;)]. This one arrived looking much better, box not smashed up and no obvious signs of driver flaws, fingers crossed. Put on Eagels HFO to test out the center and "break" her in a little. Took some pics , and yes I know I need to build a new center stand, nothing in the shops will fit this beast..hehe. BTW, the pics are a bit fuzzy, its not really, just my new cam and me haven't shaken hands properly yet and the Pj is on freeze too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks boys, last night I gave the rig a really good work out with lots of surround music and concert stuff...really , really amazing stuff..just a wall of sound, before with the 62 it sounded great but you could tell where the sound was coming from, now its seamless. But then again with 10 drivers and 3 big horns on a 15' soundstage....plus a 12" woofer...yeeee.haaaa....lol

Cheers guys and gals

Chris.

Out of all of the new Ref speakers, only the RC-64 attracts me. Theres something about that speaker that makes me raise my eyebrows [Y]

That's a definite. I have RF-7's and an RSW-15 paired up in the front with an RC-64. So far only one person has mentioned the floor standers before looking at the center while everyone else just zeros in on the center. I'm guessing it's the sheer size and the 4 copper drivers that do it, but kudos to the team who designed this speaker. Anyway, getting back on topic here, congrats on your new center.

JetJockey: Wow, that is a nice looking setup! I noticed that you have a material hanging behind the screen. I am guessing that you have done that for asthetic purposes, and not functionality (remove screen, put material on rods and then it could be moved aside) and would love to see some pics of the rest of your room. I'm in the process of finishing our basement, which is where our theater is going, and am putting together some thoughts for color schemes. You have got to be in sonic bliss with your new Reference system! Congrats!

Professor.Ham.Slap: I would be most interested in hearing your thoughts on how well your RC-64 mates with your RF-7s. I cannot recall whether or not you replaced an RC-7 with the 64 but would also like to know your impression of the change. However, I really don't want to hijack this thread as I'm sure many others would be interested in hearing what you have to say, so perhaps we should start a new thread for this topic.

David

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

dkp, My HT is very functional but far from pretty. It is soundblocked and then covered with heavy black fabric which makes the room accoustically dead (no need for bass traps and wall treatments here) and perfect for big screen projection stuff. You can actually here how "dead" it is when you walk in and speak..no echo at all. This is "my" room and as such my wife doesn't mind the studio/theatre look. Sure if I had wads of cash I would make it fancy like IndyKlipschfan' HT but I prefer to spend on my hardware addiction although new seating is imminent.

The soundstage wall as I call it, is simply burgundy drapes that I bought (came in 3' panels) hung on some tubing I bought from HDepot(not curtain stuff, cost too much). Get as many as you need and away you go, I really like the look, it looks rich and luxurious and like the old cinemas. The screen is hung on 2 big hooks bolted through the wall studs and then 2 kitchen cupboard door handles attached to the top of the screen rail which gives me some lattitude adjusting the horizontal position of the screen. The effect is that the screen with its black velour borders (which I made and bought the screen fabric) appears to float in front of the curtains, hope this helps, fire away. pics to follow.

Chris

JJ: Really nice setup, man. It sounds like you really did a lot of work to deaden the room. Congrats!

I too, am curious as to whether a 64 would be an appropriate upgrade to my RF-7 / RC-7 setup. Can anybody tell me if the RC64 is indeed a superior center channel speaker to the RC-7? Has anyone here actually done a comparison? -Glenn

My existing setup (RC-7 flanked by RF7s):

post-10177-13819325961626_thumb.jpg

Hey Jackson, yes love the Eagles! I actually prefer the Farewell 1 tour better though for content, its much more upbeat and lively and the video is HD quality to boot and the DTS track is to die for...those horns going from front to back is magic to my ears.

Watched "Sin City" last night and was really in awe at the picture and superb artwork in this film, didn't have the same effect at all with my 42" Sammy RPG. But the sound from that 64 was just awesome, the sound of Mickey Rourkes voice was so fantastic, it was like the voice came from the whole screen not the speaker. I cannot believe how friggin awesome this center is, it has truly changed the whole movie experience.

Music review...put on Micheal Mcdonald' "Motown" in DVD Audio and was just about brought to tears, I'm not kidding either, its just that incredible. Because he uses the center for voice and alot of bass lines and snare drum etc, it really showed off the ability of this monster center. It was so muscial if that makes sense and soooooooo smooth, just gorgeous stuff, its what I have been longing for....now for that pre/pro...LOL

I don't mean to brag(ok, maybe just a tad) I just want to let you folks know what a huge change it has made in my system, it is so worth the money if you can afford it, buy it.

Chris

JJ: Really nice setup, man. It sounds like you really did a lot of work to deaden the room. Congrats!

I too, am curious as to whether a 64 would be an appropriate upgrade to my RF-7 / RC-7 setup. Can anybody tell me if the RC64 is indeed a superior center channel speaker to the RC-7? Has anyone here actually done a comparison? -Glenn

My existing setup (RC-7 flanked by RF7s):

Picky to answer that I would guess you would need to buy one. (Hey if you don't like it I will buy it off you) but anyways, I do remember Klipsch devoting alot of time and effort into the rc64. Also it has that comb filtering reduction due to the 4 speakers not playing in certain frequency ranges against each other.

On another note, Picky everytime I see a picture of your home theater I drool.

Picky, I posed that same question not to long ago and had one response that set me at ease. Dean suggested I buy the RC 7 as it was a "better speaker", and if I trust this man to eventually rebuild the networks (when I can truly afford it) on my speakers, I can trust his word on this issue outside of actually A/B if I am allowed to.

But the RC 64 wins in the visual category for me [Y]