Yamaha rxv-659 kicks some serious a**

33klfan

Well, my dad picked up the receiver tonight, and i have no complaints other than you can pull the speaker wire out with the binding post tight, so luckily i had banana plugs which work nicer anyhow. Anyhow, music sounds real nice. You have to have the sub on for bass, and with that pure direct mode you just want it to sound awesome which it does but not much bass. I can't tell if it's the receiver or the placement of the speakers. With a sub, however which is the only thing that needs replaced still since it's a cheapy pioneer sub, it sounds pretty decent. All i can say, is this receiver has some power. It gives my NAD a run for the money. I almost like it better. The noise floor is incredibly quiet unlike my NAD which hisses louder than my vintage receiver. Movies are also wonderful. Beautiful separation, warm sound, and again, a lot of clean power. I don't think yamaha is bright at all, and i know bright because my pioneer sx980 is pretty bright with my klipsch. In fact, i find it very warm, even warmer than my NAD. All in all, it's a solid performer, and i am definately impressed which is hard to do for me, because i'm so dang critical. I notice a huge difference over the panasonic, which back a couple years it was hard for me to hear differences, so my ears must be getting trained better now that i am into critical two channel. At only $400, it's a steal, i might say. Highly recommended.

• Moderators

Glad you like it, did you set the individual speaker level with a DB meter ?

The reason I asked is it makes a big difference, I don't know if you did, but it really changes everything.

A friend of mine had someone custom install all of his stuff and when I asked him if the guy did the setting he said I guess ? We went to his house with my meter and the installer had one of the back channels much higher than the other and the center all the way up. We set the DB meter in the seating position and reset everything and he was blown away by the difference. and when we first sat down with a concert DVD it sounded OK but something was wrong, we had no idea how wrong until we checked it with the meter.

It really makes a big difference, it's worth doing, I wouldn't want you to waste your money if I didn't think it was worth it.

Or you could just have Trey or I stop by- "meters, we don't need no stinking meters"

Congrats on the Yammie purchase. I dig em!

M

The RX-V659 is a lot of receiver for the money. It replaces both the 657 and 757, since they were similar in specs. It also has a phono input, if you want to get into vinyl (or already are). Clean and clear is what you need with Klipsch speakers, and that's the sound the Yamaha will give you.

As for level settings, if you're using some Klipsch speakers and some typical-sensitivity speakers in the same system, you may be surprised at the settings you'll need to use. With my old speakers, the fronts and center were set at 0 and the rears at +3.0 to +5.0, depending on the distance. With the La Scala fronts set at 0, +10dB was not high enough for the surrounds. I wound up setting the La Scala fronts at -3.5, the center at +4.0, and the surround and surround back speakers at +7.5 to +9.0, since the Scalas were about 9dB more sensitive than my previous mains. The other speakers are a Paradigm CC-370 center and 4 Paradigm Atoms for surround and surround back. Until you get a meter, the YPAO should get you in the ballpark, although I found it wanted the sub about 2 or 3dB too low.

With such widely-spaced settings, the receiver will protect the highest-level speakers by reducing the maximum volume. My RX-V750 would go to +18dB on the volume (only tried that with no input, to see how high it would go), but after setting up the levels for the Scalas, the max volume is +7.5dB, which is probably equally loud with the more sensitive speakers. I wondered about this when I first noticed it, but when I called Yamaha customer service, they assured me that the unit is designed to do this.

There's a speaker impedance switch on the back. It should be set at the 8 ohm position, regardless of the speakers you're using, since the 4 ohm setting reduces the voltage to the power amp, making the bass noticeably thinner. The unit must be powered off before changing the setting.

As for Pure Direct, it does give slightly clearer sound, but switches off the sub, so it's best suited to music with little bass, like acoustic folk or choral stuff, unless your main speakers produce great bass without a sub. However, if a tune comes on that has annoying room-rattling bass (a couple of my favourite CDs have cuts like that), you can switch to Pure Direct and cut out the sub for that song, without getting off the couch.

Congrats on your new receiver! And congrats on having a cool dad!

Thanks guys, yeah, my dad and i both love this receiver. I didn't use the ypao, but i set it by me ears. I have the fronts at 0, center at 0, surrounds at plus 2 or 3, and sub at -3. I should try the ypao for the heck of it. I wonder what it would say different. Yep, this is definately the best bang for the buck receiver i know of, especially getting it on sale for $400. Heck i feel like buying one and selling my NAD, but i don't think i will.

I have the Yamaha HTR-5960 from what I have read is basically the same receiver. I have had it about three weeks now. So far I am pleased with it. I bought it at Best Buy on sale for $399. So at that price I think it is a bargain. At the $499 price I might look and see what else is available. I originally purchased the Onkyo TXSR-504 (I hope that's correct) because I have an old Onkyo amp that is about 30 years old and is still great, but I didn't care for it. The Yammie is much better.

Man, you guys in the US get some deals! An RX-V659 is $699.99CAD on sale here. That's also what my RX-V750 cost on sale, when regular price was $900CAD. An RX-V2700 is sale-priced at $1600CAD.

As for speakers, in Vancouver BC, new La Scala IIs are $7000CAD sale price (retail $9000) per pair, while Klipschorns are $9200CAD on sale.