Articles like this just crack me up

Tom Adams

I just love it when I see articles like this: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070309/ap_on_bi_ge/crop_report

In college, I had a professor that liked to use the phrases "water seeks its own level" and "there's no free lunches" as a substitute for the principle of conservation of energy. It just amazes me that with all these brillant minds we have nowadays, that we forget that there's no free lunches.

People run around and tout how much good we're doing by using ethanol blended fuel and then something else suffers. Oh....and let's just sweep under the rug that typically cars get LESS mileage using ethanol blended fuel. But that's ok, why we got the idiot masses fooled because they believe that pimple-faced, over-weight, teenager (who probably couldn't find his as* in the dark in a closet) holding, I dunno, a turnip on that BP commercial asking that stoopid question about why don't we plant more of these and make fuel from it. SHUT THE HELL UP!!! The reason is simple - if we used 100% of the entire crop (for creating ethanol) produced in the U.S., it would supply less than 10% of the U.S.'s fuel needs.

Ok, let's go electric. Why that's really clean. Look - there's nothing coming out the back of the car. Uhhhh....look up in the sky. See that increase emission from that coal-fired power plant that has to increase its output for your clean electric car. Oh...and what about the increased enviromental waste when you have to throw away those car batteries?? Sheesh.........

THERE ARE NO FREE LUNCHES FOLKS!!

Tom

I'm with you brother! The principles of thermodynamics outweigh government policy and interference with market actions. The physics and math education of our lawmakers is causing more problems by the day. The total extended costs and impacts to develope and produce a modern high MPG car are invisible to the general public. My 40 year old VW bug gets 44 MPG on the highway and the cost and impacts to design and produce it are done - sunk costs. It is a "greener" car than a Prius.

In the same vein, something that just drives me crazy is when lawmakers with no sense of math make a policy that has stepped levels instead of a smooth curve - like the tax system and many others. Anyone that thinks about it will realize that it will be to their advantage to either be just under or just over the step value and make additional often unintended or inappropriate adjustments to place themselves there due to perverse incentives. This makes people do things like take a loss on an investment in order to get down into a different category with a smaller tax rate, netting an overall advantage. A smooth curve would not give anyone the incentive to move up or down to beat the system.

Well I would say get ready for all this stuff as that Island near Denmark has already gone green with windmills, solar panels, and they grow their own fuel for the tractors and vehicles. The Island is totally green with a central heating system for all the houses and when they say green there are no secondary polutants that create the fuels. They actually supply surplus power to the power grid. Martha's Vineyard is copying the entire setup and they are 10 years behind.

JJK

I'm with you brother! The principles of thermodynamics outweigh government policy and interference with market actions. The physics and math education of our lawmakers is causing more problems by the day.

Wow! I was totally unaware that LAW-makers had any physic's or math education at all. This is NEW's.

I just love it when I see articles like this: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070309/ap_on_bi_ge/crop_report

In college, I had a professor that liked to use the phrases "water seeks its own level" and "there's no free lunches" as a substitute for the principle of conservation of energy. It just amazes me that with all these brillant minds we have nowadays, that we forget that there's no free lunches.

People run around and tout how much good we're doing by using ethanol blended fuel and then something else suffers. Oh....and let's just sweep under the rug that typically cars get LESS mileage using ethanol blended fuel. But that's ok, why we got the idiot masses fooled because they believe that pimple-faced, over-weight, teenager (who probably couldn't find his as* in the dark in a closet) holding, I dunno, a turnip on that BP commercial asking that stoopid question about why don't we plant more of these and make fuel from it. SHUT THE HELL UP!!! The reason is simple - if we used 100% of the entire crop (for creating ethanol) produced in the U.S., it would supply less than 10% of the U.S.'s fuel needs.

Ok, let's go electric. Why that's really clean. Look - there's nothing coming out the back of the car. Uhhhh....look up in the sky. See that increase emission from that coal-fired power plant that has to increase its output for your clean electric car. Oh...and what about the increased enviromental waste when you have to throw away those car batteries?? Sheesh.........

Tom

Sorry for being late guys, spring break no computer but I agree with you Tom 100%

I have heard different statistics on eth and bioD, A few years back, I remember hearing that we could power 1/2 of our needs on the crops the government purchases.

We have a lot of fallow crop fields here in the US. A large part is thanks to the US government paying farmers not to grow crops. Maybe it is time to lift these programs and stop making it hard to be a profitable farmer today.

JM

Tom

Sorry for being late guys, spring break no computer but I agree with you Tom 100%

OMG!!!! Jay agrees with me 100%????

I'm outta here guys. Need to go have my head examined.

[:P] [;)] [;)] [:)]

Tom