floor standing speakers in the wall

InVeNtOr

i was wondering which floor standing speakers work best if they are placed in a wall. i will have 3d pdf showing how the wall will be constructed and the placement (rough placement). please feel free to shower me with do's and don'ts. i don't want to have to build this wall again. i made the holes for the speakers big because i now own 10.5 set up and i might switch to the rf-63. i will show both pdf's so you get a clear pic. i believe i will have a cut out in the center front for the electronics, the pdf won't show it yet...still thinking of where to put it. also i will ask this question again in this post (i have it posted under the sub woofer section) will a down firing sub work in a wall?

i was also wondering do you angle the speakers, especially the front? on dolby digital web site it say 22-30 degrees. the picture looks like the speakers are not angles, but on the thx site the speakers are. which way are you suppose to do it or does it matter....Mas this one has your name all over it.....lol

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

regardless of which speakers i have, this question goes to the set up or angle of the speaker. it is better to angle the speaker like thx says or keep them straight like dolby says? does it matter? will acoustics have that answer? preferred method? here is a pdf of the layout, one front speaker is between 22 and 30 degrees facing forward and the other speaker is angles at 22 degrees or so facing the listener.

dolby digital set up RF-63 angles.pdf

Those are not RF 63 !! lol

Rf 83 and RC 63 show off, nice drawing tho.
Inventor I think you need to go to Star Power  on the Tollway and Beltline, next to comp USA
They have the same set up or similar to what you are trying to do, just ask them to show you the  RF 83's. They are in the room on your right by the entry.
Becarefull because you might just end up buying the RF 83, I almost did

no i assure you those are the rf-63's. i took the dimentions off klipsch. i have to say with being able to draw, it makes it real simple to tell people how and where to build your stuff. i don't think i would go with the 83's because they are a lot more money and not much more in specks. i have a small room so i really don't need high powered speakers. i will stick with the 10.5 untill i have about $6000 burning a hole in my pocket! i am really just trying to get the wall set up right.

here is the "ideal" set up to me with all equipement. i put the et stuff in the middle and made room for 5 items. the two on the left are the outlaw 990 (bottom) and outlaw 7700 (top) the three on the right are for what ever. i can only think of putting a dvd player, and maybe a cable box at sometime for hight deff watching. PLEASE everyone is there is some other component i need there let me know now so i can tweek the drawing. if i go with the thx subs i know i need their amp (thats why i am not excited about doing that!) maybe a sony would go in there.

let me know what you think.

63 MEDIA WALL et center.pdf

this would be the set up if someone could tell me a different sub to use. if i could get away with using 1 sub i just might put it in the center like this and the et stuff to the side. again the outlaw stuff to the left and the other et stuff to the right. this way i would have 5 places for stuff on the right side. just different options.

63 MEDIA WALL other et.pdf

Ill advised. Most speakers placed in a wall cavity will exhibit some boominess or tubbiness. Also, if the cabinet is rear ported that can be more that a little problematic.

I don't suggest it.

Follow up question then...

If his speakers are say 18" deep, what if he made the cubbyhole 16" deep such that the speakers actually extended out into the room a bit? Would that tame any booming?

I'll admit to be asking for myself as I'm making little cubbyholes for my 3 LaScalas (did I say little cubbyholes?)

If I have the LaScalas exit ports actually extended into the room.. will that induce any booming or would it be a non issue given how they project their sound out?

It sounds like an expensive try, or is this an existing space? My gut feeling is that by enclosing the back in what is essentially a separate "room" you will create sympathetic and parasympathetic vibrations, otherwise known as the shower stall effect. Ever notice in a rectangular shower, how you can get the air vibrating on certain notes such that the sound is all around you(assuming you have sung in the shower)? This is what people mean when they describe "boominess." Because the sound from speakers goes back from them in the room as well as in front (just ask my neighbor) creating a space like I think you are describing is really like putting them into another room in order to listen to them in a different room, and they just are not designed to do this optimally.

if i make the hole smaller and then stuff it with insulation, would that eleminate the boom sound? the holes are not the final size, i am just toying with the dimentions right now. i will make the holes a little more snug once i figure out if i am suppose to angle the speakers or not. once someone can clue me into that answer i will redraw it.

if i make the hole smaller and then stuff it with insulation, would that eleminate the boom sound? the holes are not the final size, i am just toying with the dimentions right now. i will make the holes a little more snug once i figure out if i am suppose to angle the speakers or not. once someone can clue me into that answer i will redraw it.

Well, here's my take. The speaker was not designed to be stuffed into a cavity, or basically it was not designed to be an in-wall speaker. It was tested, auditioned, and marketed to be in a room on its own. How it will sound is only a guess until it is actually done, but again, it was not designed to sound its best this way. If you have room to bump out cavities why not just make the whole room bigger? This question assumes the cavities are due to a space issue and not just wanting to hide them. Regarding toe-in, IMO horns should be. How much depends on what sounds best.

You can put speakers in the wall, but there is a lot to keep track of in doing it properly. Rear ported speakers however are the worst candidates, which I believe rules out the entire Reference floorstanding lineup. Would it be feasible to consider the KL-650's instead? They were designed for mounting into the wall:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/kl-650-thx.aspx

Another approach you might consider would be to build a scrim for the speakers to sit behind, and then leave as much space as possible around the speakers. It also gives you more flexibility with differences in cabinet size.

Inventor I was just kidding aboutthe RF 63 being Rf 83 on the drawing.

There is what we want and there is what we can afford 
I was very surprise by the set up at the store, I did ask about the speakers being enclosed and stuck against the wall. I even had the guy turn the sub off during the demo and I'll tell you what the rf 83's, even set up that way, were pretty amazing and did not fall short on the bass sidel.
let me know how was the trip to star power.
I also sent you a PM

i responed to the pm. my trip to starpower wasn't all that great. it seemed like no one wanted to help. usually i have a problem of too many people trying to help. i did see the room with the rf-83. i didn't like the screen, however the 100" screen in the room next door is what i have my eye on. not to mention the room was only 1' bigger in width and length. i guy also told to to try out sunfires sub. i really don't know what to listen for when it comes to subs, but it did sound good. i am still waiting on someone to suggest a really good front firing sub for me to stick in my wall.

on my set up i have to front speakers set to "small" so i am assuming i am not getting any bass output on them? if that is the case then keeping them in the hole shouldn't affect them? would that be a correct statement?

i just wanted to keep the speakers behind a mesh in the wall so you don't see them. maybe i should just keep them out in the open. i really don't know. i guess there is nothing wrong with having the speakers out in the open in the first place.