Said goodbye to my RF-7s today

wuzzzer

After selling them on eBay and having the buyer who lives in Indiana have a friend who lives 65 miles from me meet me to pick them up, my RF-7s are gone. I know that when I first bought them I started a thread on here about a pair of speakers that I will have forever. Well, I guess forever ended up being 14 months.

If I hadn't found the incredible deal on the near mint pair of oiled oak Forte IIs ($275), I know I would still have the RF-7s. The one issue I had with them was that they are finicky speakers as far as amps go. I didn't have the time nor the $$ to be able to experiment with different amps until I found the one that was 'just right.' I had powered them with a vintage Harman/Kardon HK730 twin powered receiver to a mid 90s Sony Dolby-Prologic receiver to my most recent Harman/Kardon HK3480 2 channel amp. They definitely sounded the best with the vintage HK. In fact if I ever get a shot at an old Twin Powered receiver again I might just pick one up and use my HK3480 as a pre-amp.

It was nice to get them out of my basement and free up some space. I will miss their in-your-face rock-and-roll no-holds-barred performance. It was a tough decision to choose the Forte IIs over the RF-7s. In the end, the sweet midrange of the Fortes and the fact that they are smaller and much easier to move around won me over.

I hope the new owner is able to enjoy them.

You did good wuzzz,unless you want to take the time and money to make the 7's most of what they can be you're better off with a less demanding speaker.I could have given up on my 7's the first year with Denons and Onkyos and such,although I liked em they were slightly harsh on old rock.I knew when I got my first decent amp they could be better.I've had more than $25k in different gear hooked to 7's,they always just get better.Once a solid amp was in place I found the prepro is where it's at,it can make or break 7's.I'll prolly never know their full potential as I have other interest that require capital too,but so far there has been no limit to their capability but gear.

I live in St. Cloud. I actually delivered the RF-7s in the Home Depot parking lot in Plymouth today!

Thanks for the offer, I've always wanted to hear a pair of Khorns!

You were about 3 blocks from my house then! I live right off the west end of Medicine Lake.

- I am home most of the time. except Wednesdays and Weekends. So if you ever want to listen to some gear, give me a day or two notice and I will fire up the tubes! - I'll also provide beer, wine or whatever your drinking. e-mail me at kdbmeb@gmail.com - during the day works best, but if you want an evening, Friday is best.

Fish,

I see you also have klf-20's. I would like to know what you feel the differences between the two models are. I had the KLF-20's (ex wife now has) as well.

Phil

Phil,I really like the 20's,in my 2nd room they do a good job and everyone I know wants em'.The 20's have a nice,well rounded sound,good from top to bottom,not the ultimate but really good.They can live or without a sub,the mids are forceful and highs clean(within some margin).Klipsch is one of the few companies that created a $500-700 used set of speakers that boast the 20's capability,within reach of even a budget minded listener.The 20's are also more forgiving than the rf7's,the 20's sound great with just about any good setup and source.The 7's are almost the opposite,most gear in the budget prices is not gonna sound so good,some can be downright awful.I've had several units hooked to the 7's that had I not known better or only heard that one unit I would have returned the 7's and prolly bashed em',never knowing it was nothing to do with the 7's.I've also heard the 7's sound glorious on decent midfi gear,and gear that's just beyond my budget a little even better yet.

The 20's just can't make me nervous like the power of the 7's,it's like when I first heard Jimi Hendrix and he said"You might be scared here for a little listening to me play my guitar"and I was,in some good way.That's what the 7's do,just flat out nail me to the wall thinkin' the roof will surely cave in or something.I do however listen to the 7's in conjuction with the rsw15 and my statement is made in that context.I try to hold the 15 back so as only to assist down low,I do consider the set a threesome though.The 7's do quite well down low with a powerful amp but I have a larger room,about 528 sqft.with 12 ft ceilings.The highs are fantastic if you use good gear and minimum decent source,with Brothers in Arms etc...it's magic.I have no problem with mids,not overdone for sure but I always lowered the mids on eq's back in the day,it's already done in the 7's.

As a side note, the RF-7s fit comfortably in my wife's 300m. I folded the back seats down, put one in the trunk laid parallel to the long way of the car and the other one laid west-east in what is the back seat area. At first glance I didn't think they'd fit, but they fit with plenty of room to spare.

(Just a little FYI in case anyone ever needs to make a road trip)

Fish,

That's pretty much how I felt. At one time I had the 7's for mains and the 20's for surrounds, until I built a second system where they were the mains. It actually took me a while to appreciate the 7's over the 20's. I have never heard the 30's and can only imagine the bass may equal the 7's.

Wuzzer,

Congrats on your transition! I'm also interested to know what you think about the Forte's -vs- the RF-7's. I see Forte's available from time-to-time in my area and the seem to be a real bargain. I'm toyed with a 2 channel system and really cannot afford (translation: wife will beat the crap out of me buying Belles during our moving process) what I want at this time but could get away with those, I think.

Wuzzer,

Congrats on your transition! I'm also interested to know what you think about the Forte's -vs- the RF-7's. I see Forte's available from time-to-time in my area and the seem to be a real bargain. I'm toyed with a 2 channel system and really cannot afford (translation: wife will beat the crap out of me buying Belles during our moving process) what I want at this time but could get away with those, I think.

I have a feeling that if I was able to get a capable enough of an amp I would have kept the RF-7s. I felt that the midrange in the Forte II was clearer and more detailed. The Tractrix horn really makes the Fortes sing.

Speaking of amps, I just went ahead and bought a Sonic Impact T-amp on eBay. I think it will be interesting to hear it with the Fortes!