FS HP 200 CD Oscillator

WMcD

This is part of cleaning out my collection of stuff in Dallas, like the two 12 inch drivers posted before.

The photo is, um, stolen from an e-bay offering. Mine is a little more beat up. It works but I can't tell what will happen once it goes through shipping.

This is a nice piece of classic gear. It could be used by a forum member who is getting into speaker and room testing. You can Google for info.

I'm in Dallas this weekend and can put it in UPS. You pay for shipping and packing; or you drop by to pick up.

Price? I wouldn't mind having a pair of Promedia 2.0 ($50 referbished on main site); or Starbucks French Press coffee maker (about $30) or a few pounds of Starbucks coffee. An Alladin SS thermos would do, too. Or make an offer.

Gil

post-2552-13819326442566_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe one reason no takers is the test equipment people started this "Combo" mentality of combining everything into one unit about the size of a tv set for $9999.00. So even though the quality might be suspect (ho ho ho!) you get the audio oscillator, sweep generator, vtvm, signal generator, frequency meter, oscilliscope, etc. in one unit. There also might have been a toilet paper dispenser as an option if your hands got too sweaty trying to figure out how to work it. Although it would be nice to have a test bench with all the old stuff on it, but not to go broke to power it. Also knowing that all of the old stuff had to be constantly calibrated (you know how tubes are) and that it might be out of calibration 10 minutes leaving the calibration center. This is one of the reasons why I consider tubes in the same light as burned out light bulbs. You can always count on tubes to perform the following functions:

1........Draw excessive power

2........Require excessive cooling

3........Short out whenever they feel like

4........Degrade slowly from the minute they are powered up

5........Excessive noise

6........Excessive hum

7........Heat distruction of electronic components---resisters, capacitors, inductors.

8........At least a two hour bake in to reach optimum operating parameters

9........Sensitiviy to vibrations and shock (vehicle mounted equipment)

JJK

Maybe one reason no takers is the test equipment people started this "Combo" mentality of combining everything into one unit about the size of a tv set for $9999.00. So even though the quality might be suspect (ho ho ho!) you get the audio oscillator, sweep generator, vtvm, signal generator, frequency meter, oscilloscope, etc. in one unit. There also might have been a toilet paper dispenser as an option if your hands got too sweaty trying to figure out how to work it. Although it would be nice to have a test bench with all the old stuff on it, but not to go broke to power it. Also knowing that all of the old stuff had to be constantly calibrated (you know how tubes are) and that it might be out of calibration 10 minutes leaving the calibration center. This is one of the reasons why I consider tubes in the same light as burned out light bulbs. You can always count on tubes to perform the following functions:

1........Draw excessive power

2........Require excessive cooling

3........Short out whenever they feel like

4........Degrade slowly from the minute they are powered up

5........Excessive noise

6........Excessive hum

7........Heat destruction of electronic components---resisters, capacitors, inductors.

8........At least a two hour bake in to reach optimum operating parameters

9........Sensitivity to vibrations and shock (vehicle mounted equipment)

JJK

Hmmmm... So I take it you run a tube amplifier?

[:P]

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone that has a 200CD oscilator should be aware that HP published an upgrade to reduce output distortion. Simple mod but unfortunately, I did a couple back in the 1960's and can't find my notes.

Worth the effort to find . That was a stable unit that hardly ever required service.

Norm