Panasonic vs Pioneer Plasma 50" models

erickoegle

So, I've decided to ditch the DLP idea and go another route. I am moving in less than 2 months and would love to get rid of my old 47" rear projection tv. I want to definately buy a plasma. I am looking at 50" models. 1366x768 resolution considering 1080p models are just so damn expensive. I was thinking either this Panasonic model TH-50PX600U or something comperable to it in Pioneer. Every place I go to research these online give the advantage to Panasonic. But every store I go to they recommend the Pioneer model over the panny any day. I was in BB today and looked at the TH-50PX600U that they had in the Magnolia section and also looked at a Pioneer PDP-5071HD. They were in 2 separate sections so I couldn't really compare side by side of the 2 screens. But what I did notice was that the Pioneer did seem to have a distinctively sharper and more colorful image when compared to another panasonic model, the TH-50PX60U.

Sure the T 1/2 may only be 60k hrs, but 60k hrs is a lot.

I definately want something relatively cheap ie. under $2500, also something ~50" in size.

Any help on brands in the plasma area?

That is my take on the differences between Pioneer and Panasonic. The Pioneers seem to have better video processing and the Panasonics have better black levels. You can not go wrong with either manufacturer so just decide what is more important to you. As for model, it seems you get what you pay for from both of them so set a budget and pick one that fits within it. 1080p is nice but at 50", it will be hard to justify the cost\performance ratio.

Some thing you maybe interested in and mind you some people fon on this is a Vizio. At first I was not interested in a off brand but I went and looked at one of these and I loved it. The specs are almost dead to any other 50" plasma at 720p and the price is only $1600 at bj's. When I up grade my living room tv I am going to this plasma. They even had a 60" for $3000. The 50" had top ratings in 2006 at ces and the 60" had top ratings 2007 ces. Go check out there web at vizio.com or some ratings at cnet.com.

How about 2- 42" plasma. Tigerdirect has the 42" panasonic TH-42PX600U for $1199.00. I think that is a great deal. Get the 42" for now and wait a couple of years and get a 50" 1080P plasma when the prices come down. Move the 42" to your bedroom. Just a thought. Goodluck on your search.

Both will be good models. When it comes down to it sometimes it is best to ignore specs and let yours eyes be the judge. Just like when you buy speakers, it should be a blind test. If your indifferent maybe base it on looks. Sony has also been a good brand. LG's look great, but I don't know about their quality.

Some thing you maybe interested in and mind you some people fon on this is a Vizio. At first I was not interested in a off brand but I went and looked at one of these and I loved it. The specs are almost dead to any other 50" plasma at 720p and the price is only $1600 at bj's. When I up grade my living room tv I am going to this plasma. They even had a 60" for $3000. The 50" had top ratings in 2006 at ces and the 60" had top ratings 2007 ces. Go check out there web at vizio.com or some ratings at cnet.com.

I bought a 50" Vizio a yr ago for my conference room because it was cheap. It stays on all day & sometimes night. No problems so far.

How about 2- 42" plasma. Tigerdirect has the 42" panasonic TH-42PX600U for $1199.00. I think that is a great deal. Get the 42" for now and wait a couple of years and get a 50" 1080P plasma when the prices come down. Move the 42" to your bedroom. Just a thought. Goodluck on your search.

I bought a Samsung from Tigerdirect. They shipped ABF freight & well packed. I would buy from them again if price is right. I bought a 42 & wish it was 50".

Panasonics are really nice dollar for dollar...................I would not get hung up on the 1080 stuff, too soon to jump on that,720 will knock your eyes out, and is all you really need, unless you decide to jump on DVD-HD, which is pretty expensive right now....................

I highly recommend the Panasonic, but not the consumer product (although a very fine product). I install about 10 to 15 Panasonic Broadcast units a month. The 50 would be the TH-50PH9UK (720P). There is a 1080P model (TH-50PF9UK) but I can not see the price difference. The only thing is that these broadcast units do not come with multiple HD inputs like the consumer units; they only come with one component, one VGA and one composite video input, although you can add any type of input you wish such as HDMI, and they do not have speakers, not that I think that should bother anyone on this forum. In most of my installations the AVR does all the video switching required in almost every system.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The Panasonic site can be found at:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/home/flash.asp

The units have adjustments that consumer units do not have that can make all the difference in the world such as black levels and so on.

One other thing to consider, currently these units are provided with a 5 year parts and labor warranty from Panasonic. This would cost hundreds of dollars on any other unit.

That would be my three cents worth.

Downlighting

5 year warranty would be nice, but I am still looking to get a Plasma TV not a monitor. Even though the monitor may be a great option, when I get the HD box. I still like the versitility that a TV offers. Also the TV speakers, they may be not that great, but I do not feel like firing up the surround sound every time I want to watch a TV show. I think the HDMI connection you can purchase separately for about 130$ or so.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The TH-50PH9UK comes standard with PC Input, Audio Input (for PC), Serial Control (RS-232C) Input, BNC Component Video/RGB Input and Audio Input, BNC Composite Video Input, S-Video Input, and Audio Input (for Video). There is an available slot for an optional terminal board. Or, you can remove the standard boards and mount up to three optional boards.

It doesn't come standard with HDMI, which kind of sucks, but you can add it for about $130, like what was posted earlier.

I just saw that Panasonic is releasing new plasma models in piano black finish. PX75U, PX77U, and the PZ700U (their first 1080p plasma at 50") .

I went through each one of their operating menus and it looks like they all eliminated PC connectivity and their cablecard slot, from the PX600U series. They just made the displays in piano black with an antiglare coating, put a new remote (still is not illuminated) and added Ez Sync HDAVI control on it (seems it only works when you have everything connected via HDMI).

It would be nice to see them turn their PX600U model into piano black.