Home Theater Questions

BeeCrazy68

I am currently in the process of building a new home and have some questions.

5.1 or 7.1, which is the standard/preferred system?

In the wall vs. standard for the rear speakers?

Recommended speaker system? The room is 18X20 with 12 ft Ceilings. I want a quality system withing a reasonable budget (not asking for much).

Which brand of receiver would you recommend?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I have been out of the loop and am starting from scratch.

Hi Beecrazy, Welcome to the forum!

We are happy to offer suggestions but will need an idea of your budget , either total or just speakers. Is this for movies only, some music? What about WAF(wife approval factor) ?

Generally speaking, inwall or ceiling mounted speakers will not sound as good as conventional speakers.

Depending on budget, I would go 5.1 for now unless money is not a huge concern. its very easy to add the rear surrounds to make 7.1 later on. Very few movies have 6.1 at the moment(sixth channel splits into the two rear surrounds make a "phantom" 7.1. However, once the "HD" players start offering true 7.1 pcm lossless audio, then it will be very much worthwhile.

Once we see your budget we will be able to offer more help for your AVR as well.

Chris

I am looking to stay under $2K for the speakers. My wife says she is open to either in-wall/ceiling or wall mounted/free standing speakers. I currently have a polk system that will go into the kids media room, so I am finally ready to get a serious system for the family Living Room.

I would be willing to spend in the $1,500 range for the receiver, I don't know if that is realistic or not.

HEY Bee, sounds like RF62 package without the woofer is around $2000, If required, do what alot of us do and build the system slowly.

I would say that you should not cheap out on speakers, they are by far the most important part of the system. If anything I would take money off the AVR budget and get one for $500 that will work just fine and get better speakers. See the link below

http://www.pricesrite.com/item.aspx?eid=6&pid=96329

For $3000 I think you will be able to get the RF82 package perhaps slightly modified that will blow you away for sound.

Chris

is $2000 your total budget for your speakers? i have a 6.1 now but i have the extra speaker for the 7.1 set up. i would try to do the 7.1 set up but your budget on the speakers is low and you may not be able to buy them all at once. if it were me, i would go with a 3.1 set up for now, and when money allows, but the rest of the speakers. go out and find the rf -63 with the matching rc-64 center. forget about the sub for now and the surrounding speakers. buy a junkie all in processor for around $200 or even less (just so you can hear the speakers).

as for in wall speakers, i have asked the question already, and the true answer is this: if you go with in wall, you will NOT get the same quality of speakers at stand alone. it's not even advisable to buy floor standing speakers and to put them into a wall. bottom line is klipsch speakers are beautiful, don't spend all that money and then hide those beautiful works of art.

most people can't buy everything they want at once so you have to choose some items first. the best thing to do i spend as much as you can for the speakers. i have owned the speakers in my sig for over 9 years. once you buy a set of klipsch, you pretty much stick with them for a long time. the electronics part of ht will be swapped out every few years. don't buy them until EVERYTHING else is set up. that is why i suggested the cheap all in one receiver for now. (i still have my junkie receiver from 9 years ago).

as far as receivers go, it really depends on you. how much are you willing to spend on one and what do you think you need. i always recommend www.outlawaudio.com because they are good for the money. there is also Rotel, and even Emotiva.

i want to also mention, new speakers are not always the best ones. i just went to a guys house who had speakers from the 70's and they sounded as good as the new rf-83's. the series name was Herseys. you will have to ask around about those, i know little to nothing about them.

i hope this helps.

I am looking to stay under $2K for the speakers. My wife says she is open to either in-wall/ceiling or wall mounted/free standing speakers. I currently have a polk system that will go into the kids media room, so I am finally ready to get a serious system for the family Living Room.

I would be willing to spend in the $1,500 range for the receiver, I don't know if that is realistic or not.

Hi Bee,

I think you should budget less for the receiver given your total budget. Personally..... I wouldnt spend more than $500-$1,000(closer to 500) on a receiver if you only have $2k allocated towards speakers. Move some of that receiver money over, and add to your speaker budget.

With your budget, I would recommend similarly as above..... I'd buy front, center, and surrounds in the RF-62 range of speakers. Keep in mind, if you're buying 5 speakers from a klipsch dealer, you'll be able to knock 10-20% off suggested retail price.

I'd also spend $600-800for a sub(I recommend SVS), and maybe only $500+ for a receiver. I'd wire for 7.1, and add the extra speakers as new budget money is allowed.

Happy shopping[Y]

There's an RSW 12 for sale right now (forum member) for $500. I think you can get a R7 (mains/center/surrounds) for $2500. You can get the updated version of the Pioneer receiver in my sig for $500 (and I think it is quite capable and has pre-outs for adding an amp later). I'm not sure where I saw the speakers but I really believe they were from an authorized online dealer (or so they claim to be). It's the dealer that sells the BIC products I believe. There's your budget right there, not blown.

Oh, what the hay, I can't resist:

Also, there's this dude that lurks around here that goes by the screenname of getech. Everything he sells is better than anything anyone else has. I don't think he could sell water to a runner that just finished a marathon but I'm sure he's a wonderful father and loving husband. He'll invade this thread before long.

are you implying that "getech" is a bad seller? (i like how you seperated that is may be a bad seller but not a bad person).

well, I really have to watch my p's and q's regardless of whether I've had my medicine cuz I've been told point blank that it doesn't matter and that basically that is no excuse for being a little ugly to forum "members" who bash other people's gear in order to try to make a sale. So I will politely point out that he is a horse's patootie in regards to his "sales" tactics but will not attack his character.

Back to the topic, for $3500 you could really get off to a great start. That Pioneer receiver has pushed my R7s for over a year now and I have no plans to upgrade the amp anytime soon.

Bee,

As everyone here has already said, spend more on the speakers, less on the reciever. The new HD formats will slowly take over, and in the next few years every reciever and preamp will have HDMI version 1.3, which is the only way to hear Dolby True-HD and DTS True HD. Hardly any (if there even are any) recievers right now have this connection, so it looks like many of us will be upgrading our electronics in the next few years once those audio streams really take off (unless something else comes along that makes even those specs obsolete). Anyway, electronics in audio are way more disposable and replacable than the anchors of your system, your speakers.

big ditto on catharsis' post.....

Just as an example, there are plenty of guys on the forum that still have their Klipsch speakers from the early 70's and even into the 60's. That's what, 30 to 40 years outta the speaker purchase? Just think how dramatically the source material market has changed since then....turntables, audio cassette, CD, DVD, and now HD formats...give it another 10 years and there will probably be even more complex formats - probably something like downloading your movies off the internet in better than HD formats. Compare that to how speakers have changed over the last 50 years....heck, wasn't the khorn designed back in the 30's? And it's still top of the line...

A good speaker purchase is something that could last you your lifetime, whereas electronics are going to be obsolete in just a few years.

But apart from the pure economics of the situation, the speaker is the biggest bottleneck in the system. The "crappy" products of today are light years beyond the crappy products of the 70's. Heck, the SS industry is still booming away, yielding twice the performance for half the cost every 5 years or whatever that crazy computer prediction guy claimed. The more advanced solid state becomes, the better the cheaper products get.

That's not to say to go out and purchase a $50 amp to drive $2000 speakers, but maybe something more like $400-$500.

As far as speakers, here's a list of all the current Klipsch "systems":

http://www.klipsch.com/products/lists/floorstanding-systems.aspx

With dealer discounts you should be able to land the RF-62 package and I've no doubt you'll be extremely satisfied. The Synergy F3 system is nice, but the price doesn't include the subwoofer...If you do any amount of movie watching, then a sub is an absolute must. If you wanted to go with the RF-62 system, but can't fully swing the cost right now, then you might consider bumping your current speakers to surround duty temporarily until funds replenish and you can invest in timbre matched surrounds.

As far as inwall or on the wall...the biggest issue is getting the speakers mounted properly. You generally have less flexibility with inwalls and they're already inherently limited in performance. Inwalls are generally only used when having visible speakers isn't an option...so if your configuration doesn't necessitate hiding the speakers, then I would shy away from that route.

Okay...lets say that I go for it and get the biggest/best to start off with.

Do I go with the RF-7 or RF-83 system?

Is there such a thing as getting too big of a speaker setup for the room? I don't want to buy a giant speaker system only to use a fraction of the capablility and don't want to sacrifice sound if they require a certain level of power to sound good.

I like my music loud, but don't want to blast company out of the room.

What sub?

I have heard that the RF-7 blows the RF-83 system away...but wanted the expert opinion from the forum.

Has anyone used the CDT-5800-C ceiling speakers. I'm am only going to be using them for multi-room audio in the Kitchen & Master Bedroom, not for Home Theater purposes.