what, LIVE acoustic music?

colterphoto1

Klipsch hosted a soiree for the American Pianists Association last night. About 50 members of the society were treated to a discussion of the judging process with regards to their fellowship grant of $75,000 to a gifted pianist between 18 and 30. There were some interesting comments regarding how they listened to music and what they were looking for in the judging. One of the gentleman took to a Yamaha grand in the Terrace Lobby for a couple of David Brubek numbers that were just magnificently played. It was just two songs, but splendidly played with technical perfection and such passion on the keyboard. Really magnificent.

Isn't it funny had truly beautiful live music can deepen our appreciation for the ART of it? T

I then went into one of our listening rooms where Jim Hunter was entertaining some of the guests with our 60th Anniversary Khorns. Yup, sounds like a real piano!

More with names when I get to the office.

Anyone else listen to any real music lately?

Michael

Yes, Johnny Winter and Leon Russell at the EGG in Albany, N.Y...............Nice to hear LIVE music, nothing beats LIVE, stereos are nice, but reproduction, live is real.............Funny, my stereo sounds just like they sounded , must be I'm on the right track as far as sound goes.........

I get out to hear live music about 50 times a year--this Saturday I'll be listening to RIckey Woodard with John Heard, Roy McCurdy and Jon Mayer out at Charlie O's. Monday night I caught Danny Grissett at Hotel Angeleno and last week I went to hear Russell Malone at The Jazz Bakery.

On Monday I saw: Lyle Lovett, John Hiatt, Joe Ely and Guy Clark perform their final show of a 40 city tour.... just 4 guys on stage with their acoustic guitars, no set lists, no attitudes, just 2+ hours of great music[Y]

Now THERE"s a show!

I saw Steve Howe from Yes last year in a 200 seat hall, acoustic and other guitars, barely any processing or PA- it was HEAVEN

acoustic would be without the aid of amplifiers or PA systems. Just an artist and an instrument.

Now- how often have you heard THAT?

wait, what? Music without a PA?!? Does it count if the musician is so bloody loud that you've got it muted on the board? [8-|]

Sounds like you had a good time. I love listening to acoustic music if the instruments are good...though I kinda wish I could get to the point of enjoying music for the sake of music without the instruments needing to be crazy awesome. It's hard to turn off them critical ears when you run around analyzing stuff all the time.

Across the creek in the Twin Cities there is a radio station called Cities 97.

Often they feature mainstream artists in their studio C, unplugged.

They publish the Cities Sampler yearly with proceeds going to charity, and there have been some very tasty tunes in the "unplugged" fashion.

They have Acoustic sunrise, something for the lunch hour, and then Acoustic Sunset where they play tunes artists have come into Studio C and give it up naturally.

Its a favorite of a few of our local friends.

On Monday I saw: Lyle Lovett, John Hiatt, Joe Ely and Guy Clark perform their final show of a 40 city tour.... just 4 guys on stage with their acoustic guitars, no set lists, no attitudes, just 2+ hours of great music[Y]

Great show. I saw them last year when they came through San Francisco. Have seen Joe Ely, Lyle Lovett and Guy Clark many many time on their own. This was a very special show. I believe this is the second year they have done this. Lets hope they do it again.

Josh