Intro and Question

itlldue

I have been reading here for awhile, and decided to join. I am in my mid 50s, and have my original system purchased in 1980, consisting of a Sansui AU719, TU717, SE7, and SC1330. It was used profusely early on, but getting married, having kids, starting my own business, etc. took alot of time away from my music. Once my son got into high school and developed an interest in electronics, he discovered how good that old vintage Sansui sounded. I had blown the Canon 12125T speakers long ago, and replaced them with a pair of $50 garage sale HPM100s. While searching for info on the system on the internet (I'm computer illiterate), I came across a few forums that were a multitude of info. This forum seems to be mentioned in all of them. I recognize many of yor names from other places.

I decided to start trying different speakers. My first purchase was a 8.5 out of 10 oiled oak KG4s for $100. Gotta love them horns! I was addicted. Soon after, I found a Sansui AU717, TU717, and SC3110 at a bargain price ($200). You HAVE to have a backup, don't you? Then, a month ago, I found a pair of 1976 Cornwalls for $400, and had to have them. I had never heard them before, and was amazed at the sound! I have decided to try and acquire a fairly complete selection of vintage Klipsch speakers. I will be listening to your discussions and gain all the knowledge I can. My hearing is poor at best, so the modifications that many of you talk about would be wasted on me. I will probably lean toward "stock" configuration, but I am always open to suggestion. My son is the one that's into "mods"

Which brings me to my problem. I discovered that one of my tweeters is blown. My son discovered it, and I was surprised that I could hear the difference with my poor hearing. Says a lot for Klipsch. Anyway, I pulled the rear cover off, disconnected the leads, and tested it with my VOM, which revealed an "open" circut. I know nothing about electronics, but I know that's not good. I need to have someone repair it, and know that this is the place. I am mechanically inclined, and buy and sell equipment, but I'm a hammer and wrench guy, not a needlenose and solder. The only solder I have here is in 5lb. ingots, and my only soldering iron is a Victor cutting torch!

My second question is, should I have the other "rebuilt" at the same time, or go by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory? Where is the best place to get this done? From what I hear, Mr. Crites is the resident expert. Any help would be appreciated. Hopefully I can contribute here in some way. If nothing else, I can attest to the great sound of Klipsch from a novice point of view.

Thanks.

Probably it is best to replace the diaphragms in both tweeters to be more likely to have the two tweeter outputs match.  

Anyway, I can supply the diaphragms if you decide to do the work yourself, or you can send the tweets to me for the repair.

Bob Crites
bobcrites@mac.com

Probably it is best to replace the diaphragms in both tweeters to be more likely to have the two tweeter outputs match.

Thats what I thought. These Cornwalls are on of the first speakers where I could actually distinguish the tweeters (poor hearing), so I figured it would be the best route.

Anyway, I can supply the diaphragms if you decide to do the work yourself, or you can send the tweets to me for the repair.

Bob Crites

bobcrites@mac.com

I have learned to be good at what I do, and let other people be good at what THEY do. Unless they can be fixed with a wrence and a torch, I'm probably better off to have you do it. I will contact you.

Thank you very much.

Itlldue,

Where in Central Ca. are you. My brother is in Turlock and I am going to give him my LaScala's soon. Maybe once he gets them we can arrange a listen.

Tracy. 30-35 miles North. That could be arranged. That way, if your brother doesn't like the La Scalas, he can give them to me! lol!!

Welcome to the Form, and your Lucky 400 CW find!.............(they normally sell for 750-800 and up)! Enjoy the Sansui also great units!

The Cornwalls were on CL for $500. I sent an e-mail and got no response. I assumed that they had been sold, since around here they usually range, as you say, for $750 - $1000. About two weeks later they appeared again. It got my curiosity up that they hadn't sold, but I e-mailed again, and got a response. The photo was poor in the ad, and he told me that the original owner had made the grills, and stained the cabs. (they were CDBR). They looked a little dark, but I figured for the price it was a good deal. It ends up the photo was really poor, and the stain actually makes them look about the same as my oiled oak KG4s. No problem there. The grill frames were screwed on, and four piece. Most people were afraid, as I was, that the grill material had been stretched across the front of the cab and nailed, stapled, ar glued, with the frames to cover it up. And, where the speakers were located was about 50 miles from nowhere, nobody looked. He told me that $400 would own them, so my son and I took the 4 hour round trip drive and bought them. They actually looked good, and sounded even better. Then, after listening to them for a week or so, I decided to pull one of the frame strips off to see how bad the cabs had been butchered. What a pleasant surprise! He had taken a piece of "oil board" (pegboard without the peg holes) and cut it about 3/4" smaller than the face of the cab. He then cut out openings for the drivers and ports, using the face as a template. The grill material was stretched over the board and stapled on the backside. All four frame pieces were releived on the backside so the grill actually slides in. The only damage to the cab are the screw holes that hold the frame on. I actually like the looks, and will probably leave them the way they are.

I know everybody says Cornwalls really like tubes, but these don't seem to mind my Sansui at all![:D]

A good buddy of mine lives there. I used to work for Gherig Const., based out of there. As a matter of fact we did some of the initial work on the opera house? that burned quite a few years ago.

I believe that the Opera House has changed hands a few times, but is still in operation.

If your buddy has been here very long, I own a place that used to be called "The Tool Shed". I used to sell hardware and tools mainly to the farmers. I closed the retail part in 1998 and now just buy and sell equipment and government surplus.