Khorn tops

I'm building a pair of Khorn tops and 4 side grills for a fella down in Florida. He bought a pair of "D" Khorns on ebay.

Birch plywood with birch edgebanding. $600 for the tops and $600 for the grills. Hey, it's helping to pay the bills right now!

Greg

post-11090-13819329892018_thumb.jpg

It's going to be a little while before I get the MCM system going.

I used to be a Makita guy, but I started having a lot of problems with them. We have at least a dozen cordless kits for the business. It got to the point where one large cardboard box wouldn't hold all the Makita drills, batteries, and chargers that had gone bad. So I switched to the Ryobi stuff, figuring that even if they didn't last quite as long, at least they are so cheap that it doesn't matter. Much to my surprise, the Ryobi stuff has outlasted any of the Makita stuff I ever bought, including the batteries. The performance is on par except for the Ryobi's weighing slightly more than the Makita's. Overall value for the cheap overseas stuff bought at the big box store? Wonderful! I'm a very happy customer.

Greg

The grill cloth is from www.wendellfabrics.com it's the Mellotone line. Keep in mind that there is a front and back to the grill cloth and it's not always easy to tell which is which. Ask me how I know.

I'm attaching the grill cloth with a Powershot hand stapler and about 2,546 5/16" Arrow T-50 staples per grill frame. Approximate. May be an exaggeration. I also have to use a small hammer to flatten them down. I've tried two different electric staplers, and both just bent the top of the staple and didn't drive it all the way in. I found the hand stapler is the way to go and the Powershot is very easy to use.

I'm stretching the grill cloth to make it taut over the frame. The front of the frame is 3/4" AC plywood. It is very difficult to stretch the cloth because you have to stretch it evenly, fold it over the edge, and hold it while stapling. The grill cloth has straight line weaving and stretching crooked really shows up. I wish I knew how Klipsch did it back in the olden days. Maybe some kind of stretching rack? I've racked my brain trying to figure it out.

Greg

post-11090-13819330207138_thumb.jpg

Keep in mind that there is a front and back
to the grill cloth and it's not always easy to tell which is
which. Ask me how I know.

How do you know?

I'm attaching the grill cloth with a Powershot hand
stapler and about 2,546 5/16" Arrow T-50 staples per grill
frame.

I believe Klipsch has dropped that to 2,137 back in the mid 70's to reduce assembly times...

Nah, that's just the way the plywood was made.

Did you use baltic birch ply (5'x5') or cabinet
birch ply (4'x8')... and what's your cut sheet look like? I
should be building a pair or tops this summer as well...

I put the grill cloth on backwards before I realized it. You can see more of the webbing on one side than the other. It looks better installed the right way.

I think it was 9-ply cabinet grade birch plywood in a 4 x 8 sheet. I don't think I got everything out of just one sheet, I had another 1/2 sheet kicking around the shop and I used some of that.

Sorry I don't remember exactly right now, I just had a double and a half martini. Bombay Saphire gin of course, very cold, shaken over ice, 5 to 1 ratio with FRESH extra dry vermouth. Sort of like drinking cold perfume, but somehow a very nice smooth drink. I don't do this very often, I'm not a lush, really.

Greg