Looking at a $5,000.00 upgrade to my MAIN 2 channel system.......

Steve, I hope that you make a speedy recovery. I have similular hearing loss, down 60 db in the 5,000 Hz range. I am using a similar hearing aid, the Aspect by Starkey. I still get to hear my Cornwall bass with this type of hearing aid, but my preference is to remove them at home, and use an equilizer to boost the 5,000 Hz frequencies on my system. I had the same experiences as you when I first heard how noisy the world is. In some restaurants I take them off, as I don't want to hear everyone's conversation, at the same time. Overall, I can finally hear converstaions without straining, asking people to repeat or cupping my ear and studying their lips. I can finally relax and hear a converstion at the same time.

Please let me/us know how your new "EPOQ" units work, as I may be looking into upgrading to a more sophisticated model in the near future. Do you units have a volume control? (my units do not) How do you units work on the telephone? My units are poor on the telephone and terrible on the cell phone. This is unfortunate, as I spend > 60 hours per month on the telephone for business. I thought that by having two units I would be able to detect where sounds are originating, but it does not work well.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard,

The Deltas that I have now have no controls whatsoever. The only way to turn them off is to open up the battery compartment. I switched to the earmolds from the domes a few weeks ago and I an not as happy as I have lost more bass with the molds, but I think it is more just an adjustment problem. I think the audiologist can fix the problem by doing some reprograming, I think it was my fault when I first got the earmolds I had her do some tweeking that I don't think was needed. I get the EPOQ's tomorrow so I will know more about them then. The phone use with the domes and the mold is a pain but I have found with the molds if I hold the phone speaker up near the mics on the aids it does work better. I upgaded to a bluetooth capable phone on Saturday so I can use the EPOQ's as my phone I think it will work great that way. I have also talked to my boss and they are looking into getting me a bluetooth system for my work phone. I will keep you posted on that.

Steve

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

How on earth did I miss this thread? I have just gone through the same thing Steve, and several people said that you had posted about getting tested and getting hearing aids. I tried to find the thread with a search, Larry C finally had to find it for me. I will go gather a post I did on mine in a minute, I am going to go check out the site on your brand.

Travis

So I understand Steve's getting TUBES......[:D], but not on Craigslist[:o]

WOW, I am also long overdue for a hearing test myself, but vanity and age seems to have created a procrastonative attitude on my part. Best wishes on those aids my friend.

My family (mother sides) suffers badly from hearing deficiencies, and in fact, Mom was comtemplating that surgical implant but has to go to NY for the procedure. The worst part is that hearing aids are ineffective. Heck, I cannot even carry on a normal conversation w/o looking at her. The frequency loss is so severe, she can't even her the simplest things like a phone or door bell.

Very tragic, and to think I abused my hearing during my youth. I feel very fortunate having stood before many a column speaker @ concerts.

• 1 month later...

WOW what a differance is it to be able to hear things that I have been missing for over 20 years. I finally have the final programming complete on my new aids, and a cool gadget too. As I stated earlier the audialogist upgraded me to the new Oticon Epoq http://www.oticonusa.com/Oticon/Professionals/professional_products/Epoq.html and she also gave me the Streamer http://www.oticonusa.com/Oticon/Professionals/professional_products/Epoq/Streamer.html

The final programing gives me 3 different programs that I can use.

1. Normal listining, this is just the program that is taylored to my loss. Used 90 precent.

2. Phone, this is for when I use a handheld phone. It configures my right aid for maximum feedback protection (so it doesn't squeal when the phone is up to my ear) it also turns down my left aid so noise around me is not as much of a distraction.

3. Music, this opens up the frequency responce and turns off the noise filters (the aids can detect just noise and choise not to ampify it)

I can change the progams by just pushing a toggle switch on the back of one aid and it wirelessly changes the other aid to the same program. I also hav independant volume control for each aid.

I also have the streamer that will change the volume in both aids at the same time, along with conect to a bluetooth phone oor an mp3 player.

I found a neat thing to do while listening to my ipod while flying. I connect a splitter to the earphone output and conect one side to my noise canceling Sony headphones and the other I hook to the streamer. I just put the headphones on over my aids and let the music play. The aids do not produce very much bass so I get the bass from the headphones and the aids boost the mids and highs as I need them. It actually sounds really good this way.

Steve