Scott 299A + 310C - Price question.

dkalsi

NOTE: I copied the below from my other thread - sincere apologies for multiple posts.

I have the option to purchase -

1) Scott 299A - in excellent condition - no mods with 5AR4 replaced it with a brand new JJ. GE outputs and Sylvania inputs are all good. The person said from the listening position everthing sounds perfect. He says if he disconnects everthing and turns it all the way up, with your ears close to the speakers you can hear a sligt hum. But he says its the same case with his Fisher 500C and the HKTA3000

2) Scott 310C - vintage tube tuner - excellent condition

3) Dual -1229 turntable with United Audio base which opens up and includes stacking spindleand 45 insert and taller smoked dustcover. plus spare headshell and the original Shure M91 cartridge with new stylus.

Everything included shipped for $600 - is that a fair price?

Thanks Audio Flynn and other who shared their thoughts.

It was acutally Joe (who I bought the Khorns from) who suggested me the Scott299A a good first venture into tubes.

The seller of the 299 is offer me the 299 + 310c for $500 or

Harman Kardon SR1000 Churchill tube receiver for $175.

Don't quite know which way to go.

The Dual is worth about $100-$125 if it's in excellent working condition. This is an idler drive Dual--pretty nice entry level table for the money.

The Scott 299 is worth about $250-$325 if it's in untouched working condition--add $100 if it's got the original walnut case.

The 310C is a really nice mono tuner--I used one for a couple of years--can't believe it's not worth at least $100--but maybe it is worthless--I dunno. If it's dumpster material, then this isn't such a hot deal I guess!

Shipping these has to be worth at least $75 - $100 if done right.

So, Craig is right--$600 isn't a steal, but it's a fair price. Offer him $500--then you'll have an really good deal!

For some reason I thought Scotts were selling in the $400 range these days--I'm wrong. Maybe they were up to that level at one point when the Scott craze was full-blown a couple of years ago?

I would just see if he would sell the 299a and for how much. The 310c mono tuner isnt worth much maybe 75 bucks in my opinion. If you can land the scott 299a for $275 to $325 that wouldnt be to bad of a deal if its in good cosmetic shape, you might as well figure on getting it rebuilt anyway, a stock 299a untouched unit is over 45 years old and to be reliable and safe needs to be rebuilt.

interestingly...I still have my Dad's EICO HFT-92 and (Mono AM/FM) and gave it a whirl with the EICO HF-81...Mono FM sounds surprisingly nice for listening to radio on the rare occasions that I would do that...I believe it was on someone's recommendation here...Craig...was it you??? ; )

Bill