Mcintosh Amp

alliclaytor

The amp sounds very good with the RF-7's. Probably not going to be the way I pair it up in the future...I'd like to get some heritage lines for that. But for now I am very pleased. The issue with the left volume gain is probably fixable with the deoxit (just a little scratchiness). Also the right meter is not that blue when you turn it on (I don't know how you would fix that) Either way I am very happy with the purchase. I had been running my RF-7's through a home theater in a box receiver, and this is a major step up. Now i just need to find a pre-amp/receiver that will give me the ability to dial in the sound, but to get something on the level of this amp may take me a while...lol

I have a 2155 and have enjoyed it for several years. I like the McIntosh sound, especially with rock and jazz. I mentioned this in another thread but a few weeks ago I had my HS tennis team over for dinner and I played "Money for Nothing" for them. The 2155, C29 and Cornwalls still have them talkin'!

Besides, you gotta love the blue lit meters!

It's a very fine amp - and, to me, one of the better looking pieces they've made over the years, too.

Don't know about the meter fading. I'd call McIntosh. Their service department is most helpful. It could be something as simple as some lighting gel slipping out of place.

I had a friend with a Bose amp who put some blue Roscolux gel inside the meters to make it look more "Mac-esque."

Alli, I will be taking a McIntosh C26 over to the stereo hospital next weekend to get a checkup, scoped out, and refreshed to original spec. If this would float your boat(and I assume it will,) I'll give you a shout when it is available. Mike is a good Mac tech, so there won't be any problems after he goes through it. I'll try to post photos when I hit St. Louis. I should know the price range at that time as well - estimate it to be in the range of $325-$425, barring a major gouge at the spa.

The amp sounds very good with the RF-7's. Probably not going to be the way I pair it up in the future...I'd like to get some heritage lines for that. But for now I am very pleased. The issue with the left volume gain is probably fixable with the deoxit (just a little scratchiness). Also the right meter is not that blue when you turn it on (I don't know how you would fix that) Either way I am very happy with the purchase. I had been running my RF-7's through a home theater in a box receiver, and this is a major step up. Now i just need to find a pre-amp/receiver that will give me the ability to dial in the sound, but to get something on the level of this amp may take me a while...lol

Not blue??? does it light up at all? if so then you will need to get a blue filter for that meter....if not then you will need new bulbs. Mac an Klipsch are always a great match!

Here is the McIntosh Internet bible web site for everything McIntosh.

http://www.roger-russell.com/amplif1.htm

McIntosh still makes glass fronts, light bulbs, most everything for their amps yet. If I remember, the meters are sealed, the lights are underneath and the blue is a filter in front of the meter behind the front glass.

You have a nice amp.

Enjoy

JM

Any thoughts on which pre-amp to go with the 2125...i looked at the roger russell page and it looks like there are a few that would work with this amp. I'd like to stay within a similar vintage...so that narrows it down to the C-26 through C-29. Any thoughts on the specifics between these four? The C-29 looks the best based on small distortion and lots of inputs...but do the earlier models offer other advantages not showing up in the specs? The C-30 may also be an option (I like the more dynamic eq controls) I'd rather save up and buy something that I will keep for a while than purchase something and want to upgrade later.

That ain't what I believe. In fact, I asked several people in the business which pre to buy and mate with my 2155. The C29 got the nod in every recommendation. I've never listened to them side by side but I have heard a C27 with a 2125. It was good!

Just an added note; a couple of knowledgeable Forum guys listened to my C29 with a pair of VRDs and the comments were extremely positive.

I suggest you find a clean McIntosh pre of similar vintage and if the price is right......buy it!

Do yourself a BIG favor and take it to a certified Mac shop. Mac amps need Mac parts. The 2125 is a sweet amp. The blue filters do fade in time if exposed to direct sunlight for any length of time. Nothing like those big blue eyes. the 2125 was the second generation of Mac SS and the first with power guard (if memory serves correctly)

Alli, it is always good to do a litlle research on your own as well as listening to forum members. Ranking the C26 last in that set of preamps is laughable - the C28 will end up last in most peoples' lists, and EBay prices drive that point home in convincing fashion.

The C27 differs from the C26 ONLY in its loudness control. Otherwise they are identical electrically, and don't look much different.

The C29 is a different beast, but reflects a different designer than Roger Russell. Roger is partial to the C26 and then the C27. DJK and I agree in our like of the C26, but there is room on this forum to disagree. I had a lurker in St. Louis contact me already, so my C26 is off the market now.

You need to hit Roger Russell's McIntosh site. It is the best site for factual info and will help you distinguish bullcrop, avoid making mistakes, and you'll learn quite a bit. Enjoy the ride!