Bose 901 VI

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naughty!! Naughty!!

Actually my past includes some bose 501's and 301's. Ok in the progression, but there is a reason I don't have them anymore...

dave

Even I have a pair of BOSE outdoors. They were a gift from my now outcast son. They really do work great in the rain. And I just love the spring loaded speaker wire clips on the back. Their color is a much deeper black with lots of resolution and contrast.

Apples and oranges. Not only are you comparing the sound of cones to horns, but you are also comparing a direct device to one that reflects sound off the corners of the room. Bose does a technologically good job of reproducing most of the music spectrum with a small enclosure. Their Jewel cubes captured about 315 to 8 kHz within about 4 dB in my living room. Because of their size, they are very popular with boaters.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I heard the Bose 901 from outside a bedroom window. After introducing myself to my neighbor, the friend that I made remains the best one I've had for 35 years. He was listening to classical music and continues to prefer it to this day. The 901s cast a huge soundstage in his little room, but I can not say they were any better than the smooth sounding Advent cones that his sister had next door. Back then, I knew nothing of texture, tone or imaging.

Horn lovers though, are bound to feel as if the dynamics are missing without a huge amount of power.

Someone may have covered this, but I didn't see it. The Bose 901 family is reasonably efficient in the midrange. However, the equalization, which boosts the top and bottom ends considerably, requires vast amounts of power. It's one of the selling techniques an old Bose dealer told me about - if you A-B a pair of Bose 901s against most other speakers, the 901 will sound louder and more dynamic. Level the volumes, and things don't sound so glossy.

Guest " "
"if you A-B a pair of Bose 901s against most other speakers, the 901 will sound louder and more dynamic.  Level the volumes, and things don't sound so glossy."

The bose 901 system, which includes the EQ, in my comparisons to my LaScala's, Heresy's and Khorns, results in a natural sounding, well balance reproduction of music with excellent tone and faithful reproduction of a live performance.   If you take the EQ out of the system, you no longer have a 901 system.  You would not compare khorns to other speakers and introduce the notion of removing the corners of the room......the corners of the room is part of the khorn system.  

As far as how the 901 system reproduces the bottom and top end.....it does so extremely well.

To be more specific....the 901 system has better bass than a LaScala or Heresy and better mid bass than a Khorn.  The mid-range and high frequency clarity of the 901 system is superior to the Khorn, LaScala, Heresy, etc.

One point worth mentioning....there are no crossovers in a 901 system...so as a result....no insertion loss due to inductors...esr considerations due to capacitors...etc.

All of the above are my views, as a current owner of the 901 system, khorn (with ALK ES), LaScala's, 3 pairs of Heresy's, using either tubes or SS.

To be more specific....the 901 system has better bass than a LaScala or Heresy and better mid bass than a Khorn. The mid-range and high frequency clarity of the 901 system is superior to the Khorn, LaScala, Heresy, etc.

Sound's like you might as well sell your Klipsch .. Fritzie ...... [:#]

To be more specific....the 901 system has better bass than a LaScala or Heresy and better mid bass than a Khorn. The mid-range and high frequency clarity of the 901 system is superior to the Khorn, LaScala, Heresy, etc.

Sound's like you might as well sell your Klipsch .. Fritzie ...... [:#]

Yes, and go all BOSE. That'll make you sleep good at night.

Hey Erik:

Believe me, I've gone through Klipsch bashing. It all depends on your taste, your own hearing curve and the music you are listening to. Though I am a die hard Heritage fan, we all ARE entitled to our own opinion... no rain, just my own opinion. Glad to read you.

Thanks, W.G., Wendy and Janis for watching over me.

Win (dodger)

The bose 901 system, which includes the EQ, in my comparisons to my LaScala's, Heresy's and Khorns, results in a natural sounding, well balance reproduction of music with excellent tone and faithful reproduction of a live performance. If you take the EQ out of the system, you no longer have a 901 system. You would not compare khorns to other speakers and introduce the notion of removing the corners of the room......the corners of the room is part of the khorn system.

As far as how the 901 system reproduces the bottom and top end.....it does so extremely well.

One point worth mentioning....there are no crossovers in a 901 system...so as a result....no insertion loss due to inductors...esr considerations due to capacitors...etc.

Yup, 3 inch drivers produce prodigious amounts of very accurate bass.

And an "equalizer"? Even Bose refers to it as a "Processor" or "adapter" as it does MUCH more than "equalize".

The closest equivalent to the Bose processor that I can think of is an Aphex Exciter and Optical Big Bottom. Harmonic generators.

And to say that they sound more accurate than a properly designed horn system is to say that a generic system with an Aphex Exciter produces a more accurate mid/high response than electrostatics.

Which all goes to prove that we believe whatever we want to believe.

[:P]

Oh, and just why would you need a crossover in a system only employing 3 inch drivers? Are some of them for the highs and others for bass? After all, that is what the harmonic generator called a processor is for!

[:P]

From a Klipshorn Lover:

How the Bose 901 series sounds truly depends on two things (other than personal taste): The room and the size of the power amp ...

Here are the 901s in my life (repeated and prolonged listening):

1970s, in a fairly good audio store, with a 100 wt amp ..... MUDDY!

In a large living room, with a 60 wt amp .... THIN!

In a friend's large room, McIntosh 105 wt amp ... O.K., but no match for his Altec A-7s, especially on his guitar recordings.

At Alphonso's Mercantile in Mendocino Village(a music and crafts shop on the Northern California Coast), over a 25 year period, always with BIG amps (starting with a Phase Linear 350 wpc, and ending with a McIntosh 1, 000 wpc) .... WONDERFUL SOUND, as good as any I've heard (as good, but different than, Khorns), and very much like the sound of a live orchestra! I purchased classical recordings from Alphonso once every five years or so, ever since he got his 901s in 1972, and always returned home with many Lps, in recent years CDs, playing them on my Klipschorns a few days later. The net judgment: the Klipschorns sound a bit more immediate, and have clearer midrange/treble (a different take than speakerfritz), but the Bose 901s ... only at Alphonso's .... sound more integrated, or "not in the way" -- or something -- and in that one way, more like a real orchestra.... and I've never said that about any other speaker vs Khorns! I would still prefer Khorns, but Alphonso's set-up is the closest competitor.

For those who might wonder about the room, Alphonso has a wood and plaster "L" shaped room, prob a 8 ft ceiling, with each arm of the "L" maybe 20 feet long. The 901s are near, but not at, the apex of the "L". The room is very acoustically diffuse, with many record and CD bins, shelves with locally produced arts and crafts, and the like.

Guest " "

I can't explain why my 901's sound better than my Khorns, LaScala's, and Heresy's. I think I have done all the right things.

The 901's are unmodified and original.

The Heritage products have upgraded crossovers either AL-4/AK-4 or ALK ES networks.

I have tried all the tweeter versions such as the ceramic and the alinco as well as all the mid driver versions such as the ceramic M version, push pull V version as well as the solder pin V version.

Also have the metal and plastic k-400's.

I think I have the right amps, a pair of high end SS and a pair of high end tube amps.

Also think I have the right power quality, I have regulators, conditioners, as well as balanced power devices.

But technology does not stand still. I started my Jubilee project. So far I have a set of K-1132 mid drivers. I'm on the look out for some K-70-G tweeter drivers. I have the plans for the bass bin and have some bass bin driver options. I can't wait to compare some DIY Jubilees to my 901's.

Now I do also own a set of the bose cube speakers. I'm not happy with the mid base of the bose cube speakers.

og_901.pdf

Guest " "

mas

"Yup, 3 inch drivers produce prodigious amounts of very accurate bass."

The 901 system has nine 4.5 inch drivers.

I owned a pair of 901 series IV at one time (yeah, I know). They sounded pretty good with some material - sometimes even amazing. However, they did not have the precise, crisp resolution of my Cornwalls and nowhere near the big frontal wave and punch. Fairly flat frequency response, but gobs of intermodulation distortion.

The thing that made me get really rid of them was what I felt to be a fatal flaw: low frequency passages that were below the tuning frequency of the ports would cause the drivers to totally decouple resulting in the drivers bottoming out (bomp bomp bomp) - even at fairly low listening levels. If I engaged the low frequency filter, it basically solved the problem (but not completely). However, I do not like speakers that whiff so easily. Man is it embarassing too (wanna see your friends snicker?).

When I demonstrated the 901s I was always pretty careful about the songs I chose. With my Cornwalls, well, hand me any disc you like and stand back.