Finally going to buy a SET amp!

vman71

I'm really excited about my first SET amp that I'll be getting on Thursday. It's a John Hogan 6sn7/27/45 integrated tube amp. I can't wait to hear what the SET magic sounds like with my KLF-20's and my Chorus II's. Apparently the late John Hogan who built custom SET amps, said his favorite speakers were the Cornwalls and LaScala's.

I'll post my first impressions later this week.

Mike

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Josh,

I'm meeting the seller tomorrow at lunch to pick up the amp, man I can't wait!

So here's the deal, I plan on doing a comparison with the John Hogan 45, Eico HF-81, and H.H. Scot 222C. I'm actually waiting for Craig to finish up with the 222C, so it will be fresh and a clean bill of health. The Eico HF-81 has also had many upgrades and went through Craig's restore in Jan06.

I'll be sure to share my impressions when I do this little mini comparison.

As far as music goes, I listen/enjoy listening to soft & classic rock, Motown, some country, Top40, easy listening, and can I admit disco era music :^). I have to confess, especially with the Bee Gees being the theme last night on American Idol, I love the Bee Gees. My mom worked for Capitol Records for years when we lived in Hollywood and it just seemed like if you didn't love the Bee Gees, you were not cool.

Mike

Leo,

I wanted to upload pictures of the John Hogan amp that I'm buying but I can't figure out how to upload/add pictures. As far as I know, it is set up for 8-ohm output. You can connect KLF-20's and Chrorus II's on a 4-ohm connection? Should I be doing this when I connect them to the Eico HF-81 and H.H. Scot 222C?

Mike

I am not sure of the efficiency of those speakers but with SET the higher the better. I heard my Canary Audio 300B on Cornwalls in a much bigger room and I was really suprised at how different they sounded than in my smaller room with Belles. I love the SET sound and the CA300s were not bass shy.

CONGRTS!!!!! Post pics when they are settled in!

Mike,

If it's wired for 8 it's probably not worth the trouble of changing to 4.

If the amp sounds a bit "thin" then it's worth considering. Impedance of the Chorus-II has a peak in the midrange which the high impedance of a no feedback tube amp will favor. I don't know about the KLF series.

Try the amps for a while. If optimization is in order that can be done any time.

Leo

My room is on the small side: 15W x 20L x 8H

Speaker efficiency:

Chorus II - 99db

KLF-20 - 100db

I'd love to post some pics now of the John Hogan 45 amp but don't know how to upload/attach pics.....can somebody tell me how to do it.

Thanks

Daddy Dee,

I'm really glad that it isn't going to have to be shipped. I feel very fortunate to be working a deal with an outstanding gentleman.

He just bought a rare Jeff Korneff 45 custom SET amp. Man I wish I had the dollars to throw down on that bad boy. It was a beauty! I want to hear his impressions of each. Interesting to point out that they are somewhat similar: both based on the 6sn7 preamp tube, 45 power tube, use Sansui PP OPT's, and are point-to-point wiring.

Man, am I glad that it's not being shipped!

...and can I admit disco era music :^). I have to confess, especially with the Bee Gees being the theme last night on American Idol, I love the Bee Gees. My mom worked for Capitol Records for years when we lived in Hollywood and it just seemed like if you didn't love the Bee Gees, you were not cool.

Mike

Me too, Mike. Disco music reminds me of my misspent youth you know, 1980 when I was 40, wearing gold chains, driving a 911, and boogie on Saturday nights. I sure wish I had all the money back that I spent those days heck, Id buy a round of [8][8] Jubilees [8][8] for everybody!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Rob

[8]

Yes, that's it.

From some email traffice between John Hogan and others, he describes a little about himself:

"i'm an old fart too lol being 61 yrs old and retired, i have more time to build amps these days.. i was a schoolteacher in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />NewarkNJ for 35 yrs.. I got my electronic training at the FortMonmouthSignalSchool in '61 - '62 in Microwave radio repair and i hold a curent Amateur Extra Class Radio License.. guess i'm really just an old ham at heart "

"As i said, i've built a lot of amps in the past couple of years and as i'm 61 years old now and retired, i build amps for fun but truthfully, there is a lot of tedious time consuming work in the building of an amp"

"i guess i'd have to say Klipsch speakers are about my favorites.. as i have had quite a few.. but i have settled with a pr of Lascalas and Cornwalls now"

From what I've read, he built a little over 100 tube amps. If you do a search on Audio Asylum under the SET BB, there is a lot more information.

Of course, you know he was one of the good guys since he loved Klipsch speakers.

• 3 weeks later...

Picture of the John Hogan S.E.T. amp.

I have it running with 2a3 output tubes until I get some decent 45 output tubes. How does it sound? It beats out my Eico HF-81, not by much, but enough that it is noticeable.

This is the best sounding amp I have ever owned. I now know the magical world of the S.E.T. sound.

post-15296-13819334154114_thumb.jpg

Daddy Dee,

Thanks! It sounds incredible with the right music. I actually prefer it with the 2a3 output tubes vs. the 45 output tubes. I also heard a significant improvement in the sound when I switched from a 6sn7GTB pair to a pair of JAN-CHS VT-231 tubes.

For those that have compared 2a3's to 45's, what do you favor? And why?

Okay, so I love this John Hogan 6sn7/27/2a3(45) so much, I'm buying John Hogan's personal one that he used on his desk and his favorite S.E.T. amp that he built: 6sn7/300b. A picture of it is below. I should have it in about 3 weeks.

post-15296-13819334175162_thumb.jpg