cleaning kg4s "light oak"

ulloaal

Hey guys.

I got a nice pair of KG4 from craigslist. Only 80 bucks.

They sound like heaven and in excellent shape. They will replace my pair of KG2.5 as front. Yet, one of them has a large water mark on the top. Is like they used it as a table for a flowerpot (can you believe it!!!!??). These are light oak.

All my speakers are black, so I have no idea how to clean this. Is this one for those where oiling is required? Should I use a varnish? Thanks for any advise.

Welcome to the forum Ulloaal. Water marks can be tough. Had a similar flaw on some dark McIntosh ML-1C. Mine were due for a total refinish so they were completely stripped. You may be able to mask off the top with tape and plastic. Take off the old finish with lacquer thinner and 0000 steel wool. After it dried I lightly sanded with 220 grit to blend the damaged area which is lighter in color. Then put on several coats of tunge oil or poly and have glass cut for the tops to prevent further damage. Hopefully others will have less labor intensive tips for you.

We need to know if your cabinets are oil or lacquer finish and whether the water mark is white or black. The Klipsch web site shows the KG4 available in Walnut Oil, Oak Oil, or black, so I assume yours are oil.

A black mark may be caused by water on an oiled finish or water that has soaked entirely through a lacquer finish. The black is caused by iron content in the water reacting with the tannins that are in oak and walnut. I have successfully neutralized the black mark by applying a solution of Oxalic Acid to the offending area. Oxalic acid is sold in powder form by Lowes. Mix a solution with water and apply it to the mark. Several applications may be required to make the mark disappear. Don't get the solution to strong. It can bleach the surrounding area. Once the mark is gone, neutralized the acid solution with a baking soda solution, sand lightly and apply Watco Rejuvinating Oil if your cabinets are oiled. If they are lacquer, following the instructions in the paragraph below.

A white water mark may be a reaction caused by water on lacquer. As suggested, you could carefully mask the top and remove the existing lacquer with lacquer thinner and a scraper, let dry, sand lightly, and re-coat with Deft spray lacquer available at Wally World or Lowes. Use the green masking tape intended for use with lacquer. Don't worry about the white appearance on the wood prior to lacquer. The new lacquer will melt the old and blend as one clear finish.

Without pictures, it is difficult to accurately diagnose the "disease". Good luck . . .

Stain Removal<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

If you can determine the composition of the stain you can remove it with the correct bleach. Iron based stains are fairly easy to spot. They are grayish-black and usually ring shaped. It may also show up as a splotchy appearance on oak that has been stripped. Before applying the oxalic acid remove the finish first. Mix a saturated solution from dry crystals in hot water and apply to the entire surface, not just the stain. An oxalic acid solution may be made using 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) oxalic acid powder or 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) oxalic acid crystals to 1 pint of warm water. Apply the solution with brush, cloth or sponge. Let stand 10 to 20 minutes. Repeat as necessary. Several applications may be needed with overnight drying in between. Once dry, it's imperative that any residual oxalic acid be removed from the surface of the wood before sanding or finishing. Several rinses with distilled water will remove most of the oxalic acid crystals left on the wood surface. Neutralize the acidic wood surface with a solution made from one quart water with two heaping tablespoons of baking soda.

Caution: Oxalic acid is poison.

Thanks guys. This is really helpful.

I check the mark, it is white. The speakers say nothing on being oiled or lacquer.but since the mark is white, by Hendrix I know now they are not oiled. So, will do as this tell.

Thanks again. I just finished my last exam (in life I hope) and have some free time to use.

Will take photos and post for future references on the same question in the forum.

I just applied this cure to an old pair of Wharfedales this week. Thanks BH. It works great. 2 applications and stain is completely gone. I've been fighting these stains for years and this cure actually works. Thanks so much.

HarryO

Thanks guys. This is really helpful.

I check the mark, it is white. The speakers say nothing on being oiled or lacquer.but since the mark is white, by Hendrix I know now they are not oiled. So, will do as this tell.

Thanks again. I just finished my last exam (in life I hope) and have some free time to use.

Will take photos and post for future references on the same question in the forum.

Double check the labels on the back. The KG-4's are listed as having an oil finish. Water can leave a white stain on oil, too. It's really tough to diagnose without a pic. I'd hate to have you pursuing a wrong course for repair. [:^)]