inexpensive tube amp?

aab3rd

I am not BIG into music but I have thought about buying a tube amp to power my CF-1s for a music only room. I do not want to spend a lot of money at first

until I see how I like it. What are some good recomendations for tube amps around $400 or less (with less being much better). The CF-1s are rated at

96dB so they are not SUPER efficient.

Also what should I be looking for as far as such items as pentode/triode, different input/output tubes, or any other tube terms which I am unfamiliar.

I admit I am a super-novice at this and I know nothing, but the thought of glowing tubes interests me.

By the way, I did not mention that it could be either a intigrated or straight amp.

aab

It is easy to be worried about tubes, the jargon is as offputting as talking to a MSCNE, why can't these guys speak English? Just remember that all they are talking about is a light bulb not a chip.

I would look at the small crop of low cost tube integrated amps, for which ASL and Jolida come to mind. Check out the Antique Sound Lab MG-SI15DT Single Ended Integrated Tube Amplifier at:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_1/antique-sound-lab-15dt-tube-amp-1-2001.html.

The editor said "But, view it this way. The 15DT is an entry level tube product, at an entry level price, but is Class A and single-ended, which are two characteristics that tubophiles love. It's a bargain."

It is twice your budget however. Otherwise I would look at Jolida tube integrated amps for use with your super efficient horns: Use Audioreview.com to check out the Jolida reviews. Find the amps at the Jolida site and http://www.newtube.com/jolida.html.

Your system will sound so sweet and engaging that you will enjoy it for years.

To start off, ASL has some 8 watt ASL Wave 8s that are only $99, but I have yet to hear them.

These are push-pull tube mono-blocks with ECL82 or 6BM8 tubes for only $100 each. They are reviewed at http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0801/coolaudio.htm.

For a cheap solution, S-5 Electronics out of Chandler Arizona (480-895-2521) offers a 8 watt integrated amp for $170 with tubes I have never heard of, the 11MS8s.

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

Inexpensive tube amp? I got one for ya. Antique Electronic Supply has an 8 W/Ch integrated stereo tube amp kit for $139.95 (monoblock = $89.95). They are designed by George Fathauer and are 8W/ch, 20Hz-20KHz, THD<1%, use 11BM8 tubes. Not much to behold, very simple, mounted on wooden board. I haven't heard them yet, but I sure would like an opinion myself, as I am interested. Man, you can't beat the price and it would be fun to build. Seems like a good Christmas toy.

Andy

• Like 1

I didn't think the Dynaco ST70s would be in that price range, these are very good and very popular tube amps, with plenty of power for big old horns, but perhaps not the finese of the the more delicate 2A3 models, like the Wright or the Wellbourne, if the ST70s are in this price range, they may need updating or upgrading, which is something that I would not recommned to a neophhyte, it is not difficult, just new, which is one of many reasons why I went for new Bottlehead 2A3 Paramours, but the ST70s are a classic model well worth tweaking and upgrading if you like their sound ...

------------------

I have auditioned the ASL Wave 8's and was impressed to say the least. I ultimately decided on the AQ1003DT at U$ 749 but only because the AQ had a somewhat stronger bottom end. In fairness to the Waves you have to bear in mind that the AQ is literally 4 times as powerful.

I should also point out that the Waves were stronger on the bottom end than some more expensive amplifiers which are priced substantially higher than the AQ.

In summation - Are the Waves a good deal? - You betcha Bubba!

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 12-18-2001 at 09:01 PM

Bottlehead recommends speakers of 95 dB/w/m for the diminutive 2A3 Paramours. With my big old horns they will crank out about 6 watts, creating a painful 110 dB.

Super efficient (rated at 95 dB/w/m or more)speakers will idle at a listening level of 73 dB with about 0.031 watts. This is measured in my carpeted living room with the listening spot 11 feet away on the slow C scale with the Radio Shack SPL meter. On 15 dB peaks above the average listening level (88 dB) they will require about 1 watt. Momentary full throttle peaks at 103 dB will need microsecond pulses of about 32 watts.

At normal listening levels you should not hear the amp clipping, but microsecond 118 dB peaks at loud volume will require an estimated 1,024 watts from your amps to avoid audible clipping. At this very LOUD level, you will hear the strain on the amp.

This may not be enough power for the deep bass and I would recommend a sub-woofer, but the mid-bass is good, the mid-range is delicate and delicious, and the highs are sweet.

Tom, why 500 Hz? what are you using below that?

------------------

This message has been edited by Colin on 12-22-2001 at 10:52 PM

Colin---My rig is bi-amped, I mean real bi-amping with an active crossover. Below 700 cycles a 120 wpc Yamaha power amp drives my Altec 515Bs in 825 VOT cabinets. Above 700 the Waves are driving JBL 2420s on Edgar saladbowls. Sometimes I use Altec 806s on 511Bs, then I set the crossover at 500 cycles. As soon as they arrive from JBL a pair of double-15 JBL 4846 motion picture theater bassbins that I bought from the JBL tent sale will augment the 825s which are weak below 100 cycles due to the 825's stepped response. I'll run the 4846s parallel with the 825s with a choke to roll them off above 100 cycles.

Inexpensive but good tube gear? Condsider an EICO ST-40 or ST-70 integrated amp.

These trade for $150 - $200 on eBay. If they are in good shape and have original Mullards, they are hard to beat. Course, it's always a risk buying used tube gear from an auction w/o be9ing able to demo it first. I took a chance and bought an ST-70 a year ago. Very good sound. A month later, checked and set the bias and did the Loudness Button circuit mod as found on:

http://home.netcarrier.com/~rstevens/st-40.html

Oh my goodness! Haven't used my other gear since.

Add the EICO HF-81 to that list as well... It actually uses more easily obtainable output tubes as well. I actually prefer it to the ST-70 even though ole Roger loves his 70 the most. Of course, all your comments pertain to the all the EICO gear as for the vintage aspect. When you take the tone controls, balance, and selector switch from the circuit of the HF-81, things improve as well.

Actually, all EICO gear from that era used GREAT GREAT transformers, the heart and soul of any tube amp.

kh

------------------

s y s t e m

Linn LP-12/Linn Basic Plus/Sumiko Blue Point

Rega Planet

Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

• 2 weeks later...

Well, with my '76 Khorns broken down for refinishing, I finally made a decision on the tube amp for my living room project. I know it doesn't meet the "inexpensive tube amp" PER SE, but for what you get, it appears to be a good deal. It's the Audio Electronic Supply AE-25 ... see review:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/aes_ae25_superamp.htm

I was going to go with the ASL 5WPC SET amp, but I was afraid that I needed a few more watts. This seemed to cover the additional power. I ordered the AE-3 pre-amp and a "new tube" CD4000 as well. Will break them in and put a few comments up here on the board.

BTW, let's all do something for Ray Garrison ... please see "updating" category and his "la scalas for sale ....". It's a crime that a contributor like him has to sell his favorite Heritage boxes to pay the mortgage. Please see my posting ... all contributions are welcome. I'll drive them down to him personally.

Thanks.

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Which active Xover are you using? I have an ASL AQ1003 driving a pair of KLF30's and I also have a Hitachi SR2004 receiver whose power amp section "Haban mas grande cojones" - rated at 400w/ch before clipping - ( I had it tested some years ago and clipping did not appear until something over 600 watts/RMS/channel).

I have fantasised about biamping with these bad boys but I honestly have no idea who does or does not sell a decent reasonably priced active Xover and how do I deal with the (probable) difference in gain between the two amps.

The receiver does have preamp in/out jumpers so the output of the Hitachi could be adjusted/controlled by the Xover - assuming that these things are set up to allow that adjustment.

If this setup is improbable or plain impossible I'll not be upset as the present setup is VERY nice as it stands.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)