STORM EXPERTS OPINION NEEDED

HarryO

I've been living in this general area for about 15 years now. Storms and bad weather have basically passed up by. Last year a new building complex was built in a valley close to me. It seems like the "storm path" changed and the more severe weather has concentrated in this area. There seems to be a "rain line" you can see on a regular basis now. It's like there is a line where the rain stops you can see. It's the same place. Dry on one side of the street and wet on the other. It's like this regularly.

Can man made normal structures change weather paths?

Perplexed,

Harry

I'm no meteorologist, but I am a trained weather spotter.

If the building complex is a trailer park, then indeed severe weather and tornados are going to be attracted like a magnet and are there to stay.

If the built up area is big, like a mile square or larger, and has alot of concrete, asphalt or overall a darker 'albido' surface color than the surrounding area, the possibility exists that convective heating is taking place and flaring up mini storms in the area. Is this area to the west of your home? Most weather moves from west to east, so if its up stream, it might be convection.

If its anything else, you're seeing a statistical anomaly that will even out over time.

Last year, in the north east,  lot of weather indicators were consistent with those of 1938.  As a result, major cities are reviewing their storm plans.  

The increases in rain, severity of winter storms, have more to do with the stored energy in the oceans as a result of warmer than normal (in 75,000 years) temps.

In 1938, an unusally high number of storms hit the US.  Many of those hit areas normally not effected by sever storms.  

This year, major cities have begun their storm prep progams 6 months earlier than last year.

The new industrial complex is WNW of me about 1/4 mile away. All asphalt. I'm not knowledgeable in these areas. If it's raining I'll put on a hat or a coat if it's cold rain or I'll stay in if I can. If it's hot i'll strip off some clothes or go inside to the A/C. That's about the extent of my expertise of the elements.

It wery well may just be weather pattens but it's been common enough lately to take notice of.

Harry

What Loud & Clear said is right on...he should be on the Weather Channel as opposed to some of the goofsters on there now...

Very tall buildings do affect weather, as New York found out in the early years of the 20th century.

Down here, levees attract two kinds of people, incompetents who built and maintained them, and politicians and film makers who keep repeating, in absence of any evidence, that they were dynamited in Betsey and Katrina. [*-)]

"Micro-climates" naturally occur in small areas, like valleys, for instance, but can also be man-made. I once visited someone in Ireland who lived in a house in front of an apple orchard. The orchard was only about three acres, but the orchard and house were surrounded by a 15-foot-high concrete wall. The wall wasn't needed to prevent apple theft, but it provided a micro-climate for the trees that was much less windy and measurably warmer.

"Micro-climates" naturally occur in small areas, like valleys, for instance, but can also be man-made. I once visited someone in Ireland who lived in a house in front of an apple orchard. The orchard was only about three acres, but the orchard and house were surrounded by a 15-foot-high concrete wall. The wall wasn't needed to prevent apple theft, but it provided a micro-climate for the trees that was much less windy and measurably warmer.

WOW! That seems like a lot of money spent to protect apples. A 15 foot high concrete fence. Must be more money in apples than I thought.

heat rising over the city can cause storms to stop at your front door Harry. If they are coming in from the south-west, they do seem to hover just at the south side of Indy don't they?

Wierd how things seem to have changed around here. I'm thinking it may be because of the new structures but I guess I'm looking to second guess or just trying to reason with the unreasonable.

I'm gonna try a pic on the new Vista load while I'm here. 1st time for pic transfer with the new software. Patience please and thanks for all the thoughts.

Harry

post-24628-13819334333598_thumb.jpg