Moving to a 300B S.E.T. amp....

thxgeek

Hello!

I just picked up a pair of Dared VP-300B monoblocks and I'm thinking that my PSB Image 2Bs aren't sensitive enough for this particular amp. Has anyone heard the RB-61 or RB-81 with a SET amp? Good? Bad? Ugly? I'd like to stay with a bookshelf-sized speaker due to space limitations. Any recommendations?

Your comments would be most welcome.

Cheers,
-- Craig

Would Heresys fit in your space? A nice pair of new H-IIIs would be WAAAAAAY cool!

Of if you want to buy used, there's a pair for sale a bit lower on this page in the "Heresy III price?" thread. If you have the room, I think this might well be the BEST small speaker you will find for a 300B SET amp.

400x400.aspx

Hello!

I just picked up a pair of Dared VP-300B monoblocks and I'm thinking that my PSB Image 2Bs aren't sensitive enough for this particular amp. Has anyone heard the RB-61 or RB-81 with a SET amp? Good? Bad? Ugly? I'd like to stay with a bookshelf-sized speaker due to space limitations. Any recommendations?

Your comments would be most welcome.

Cheers,

-- Craig

I would get a pair of these Tekton Design speakers. They are beautiful and sound fantastic and are very efficient. They are the smallest efficient speakers that I have seen.

They come with a 30 day guarantee also. Sp nothing to lose. The Builder Erik is top notch and will make you happy! I own Klipshorns and also have a pair of these - I love them.

Bubinga wood Speakers

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tekton-Design-Fostex-4-5-inch-Full-Range-Bubinga_W0QQitemZ250126437108QQihZ015QQcategoryZ14991QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem''>http://cgi.ebay.com/Tekton-Design-Fostex-4-5-inch-Full-Range-Bubinga_W0QQitemZ250126437108QQihZ015QQcategoryZ14991QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem' mce_href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Tekton-Design-Fostex-4-5-inch-Full-Range-Bubinga_W0QQitemZ250126437108QQihZ015QQcategoryZ14991QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem">

I also agree with the classic Heresys with an 8 to 10 WPC 300B SET amp. They were my second choice had I not been able to get a sweet pair of discontinued, cherry veneered RB-75s a few months back! With their 97dB sensitivity, the RB-75s are an easy load on my 300B amp, so I assume the Reference Series bookshelf loudspeakers you mention will also fit the bill nicely. With two Dayton 10" powered subwoofers, the lack of bass from my RB-75s is a non-issue, and blend nicely together.

As an aside, I also owned a used pair of Loth-X Audio Amaze single-driver bookshelf monitors that were a great match with my 300B SET amp. These real cherry, transmission line enclosures were smaller than my RB-75s, but their 97dB efficient Fostex custom drivers were truely breathtaking in their performance as well...high frequencies were not at a loss at all! They may be hard to find nowadays since Loth-X Audio is out of business, but if you can find a pair, they may very well be worth investigating IMO.

post-11084-13819334562268_thumb.jpg

Do you guys really think that Heresy III's can reach their full potental using a SET amp??...............I would think the bottom end would suffer, I understand that Khorns and probably La Scala's can be run with SET, because of the high sensitivty of them, but even the H III's are alittle low....Just asking a question, that's all...............NO WARS please..........just an answer..............

Many thanks for the feedback. (oops - perhaps a poor choice of words).

I would get a pair of these Tekton Design speakers. They are beautiful and sound fantastic and are very efficient. They are the smallest efficient speakers that I have seen.

They come with a 30 day guarantee also. Sp nothing to lose. The Builder Erik is top notch and will make you happy! I own Klipshorns and also have a pair of these - I love them.

Bubinga wood Speakers

Now those look interesting. Does he have a web page (other than his ebay store)?

THANKS!!!

Many thanks for the feedback. (oops - perhaps a poor choice of words).

Bubinga wood Speakers

Now those look interesting. Does he have a web page (other than his ebay store)?

THANKS!!!

No Web Page yet. - Search this forum and you will find some happy owners of these speakers, including the Builder of Juicy Music Blueberries and Peach. Also if money is a problem, you can get these same speakers in a basic black finish for $300 instead of the Bubinga wood for $500

Heard those bad little boys today and they are amazing. The pedestal is hollow half way down and it serves as a port for the bass. Listened to them powered with a vintage tubed Scott integrated amp and found nothing at all to complain about. The bass is surprising for a speaker this size. In a small to medium size room these speakers would be my choice. A single driver speaker with no xover.....gloss black pedestal and Paduak enclosure......very sweet.