Spring Is In The Air..... Watch Your Step

Gilbert

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We treated rattlesnake bites quite often at Loma Linda Med Center.  There's a TeeVee program entitled "Venom E.R." that was made at that facility.  My wife lost a pet dog to one.  I recall a leisurely family day at my home in Orange County Ca.   I looked down and a rattler had coiled up right beneath my Moms chair.  Must have been a birds of a feather deal.  To keep her from freaking and probably getting bit I calmly asked her to help in the kitchen.  Once out of range I turned her around and showed her the peril.  Then she freaked.  Y'all may have heard that.  It was the summer of 94 I think.  Any remember a spine curdling squeal of eminent death around that time?

Not something you get to see everyday, or even in a lifetime..... Got the pictures from a friend back home in South Texas.

Was this picture taken using a telephoto lens or were you that close to the snakes?

Most likely just a typical 70mm lens or equivlent was used. The rattle snakes aren't evil or mean, their more affraid of you than you are of them. They really arn't aggressive, which is why people step on them without ever knowing it, until it's too late. But they don't chase after you, that is not their typical behavior, and if given the chance they will flee for safety.

The largest I've seen in south texas was almost 7feet long. I have the skin in my den. The head was the size of my fist. I came across it while quail hunting. But the average south texas rattler is in the 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 foot range. That's pretty typical I think. The snakes in the photo appear to be probably around 5 1/2 feet long, maybe 6 ft, their girth would be approximately 12 to 15 inches, about the size of an adult mans forearm.

By far the largest rattle snake I'd ever seen was in Florida. There's something about the Florida and Alabama area that grows them babys big, really big.

I've lived in, and grew up in the south texas brush country. Never once have I ever carried anti-venom, nor my father, nor his father. Stupidity runs in the family, nah, not really, it's just to rare of an occurrence. If you get bit, you won't die immediately, not at all. Oh, you'll swell up a bit, but so long as your smart enough to tie a turnicut (spelling sucks), don't panic, and seek immediate attention (within a couple hours max), you'll survive...So just as long as your careful where you walk or step, and so long as your careful when you turn over rocks and logs, you'll be okay.

If you ever get bit by a coral snake, your in deep doodoo, seriously. Their venom attacks the nervous system, and is fast acting. It's the only snake my dad was ever affraid of us coming across. He always told us, "Red & Yellow Kill A Fellow", "Black & White, Never Bite". That was how we distinguish between the deadly coral snake and the king snake. Both beautifully marked reptiles, gorgeous snakes. We would get $50 for a king snake, I'm sure that number is well into the hundreds now a days.

ciao'

I remember from my youth that coral snakes carry the same venom as cobra I believe.

Also I forgot, I was thinking all venom was nerve acting.... The most lethal venoms are always nervous system active to render the prey inoperable to move. I think the title of world's most poisonous goes to a snail, it lives at the bottom of the sea and well its a snail so if it stricks, can't have the fish swim away......

Kinda off topic, but I remember when we lived in Florida (Rockledge, outside Coco) end of street next to a ditch. We had a swimming pool, but the Water Moccasins enjoyed the water as much as we did.......UGH! Hence, my distaste for snakes. Dad was lying on the couch one night, and what comes crawling out on top? Luckily, a FAKE Coral snake, but talk about panicking....whooaaaa!

O and btw, snake does have a good taste, I agree!

We treated rattlesnake bites quite often at Loma Linda Med Center. There's a TeeVee program entitled "Venom E.R." that was made at that facility. My wife lost a pet dog to one. I recall a leisurely family day at my home in Orange County Ca. I looked down and a rattler had coiled up right beneath my Moms chair. Must have been a birds of a feather deal. To keep her from freaking and probably getting bit I calmly asked her to help in the kitchen. Once out of range I turned her around and showed her the peril. Then she freaked. Y'all may have heard that. It was the summer of 94 I think. Any remember a spine curdling squeal of eminent death around that time?

There was a lot of squealing going on in Orange County in 1994. Anybody that had anything to do with the County Investment Pool wished Bob Citron would suffer an eminent death.

- Jim

I remember from my youth that coral snakes carry the same venom as cobra I believe.

Also I forgot, I was thinking all venom was nerve acting.... The most lethal venoms are always nervous system active to render the prey inoperable to move. I think the title of world's most poisonous goes to a snail, it lives at the bottom of the sea and well its a snail so if it stricks, can't have the fish swim away......

No, I believe it's a frog that get's the dubious honor of being the most venomous creature known to man. But as far as snakes, your correct, sea snakes are highly venomous and regarded as being the most venomous of snakes. The most aggressive snake and highly venomous goes to the black mamba's of Africa. They will chase after you, and you havn't got long once your bitten. I've seen the puff adders in Africa, they look very similar to our rattlers, but with no rattle. I saw 9ft long dead mamba that our tracker killed, and brought back for a little show an tell. Huge snakes, and I was told, very mean or aggressive. They will come after you with minimal provoking. I actually feel kind of sorry for the rattlers in our part of the country though. They are not as plentiful as they use to be, but I still kill them when I come across them. Their real threat comes from Fairs such as the annual snake round-up. Literally 1000's of people go and search them out for these big festivals. Freer, Texas holds one of the largest rattle snake roundups that I've attended. Talk about everything rattle snake.... belts, wallets, boots, slippers (yes slippers), canes, hats.... and every rattle snake dish you can think of. They are tasty buggers, the cowboy's at the ranch love to eat them (me too). Taste like chicken, really.

Here's another photo of the same snakes.... it more clearly shows why their called diamondbacks. Beautiful snakes, they really are.

post-12381-13819334862732_thumb.jpg

We treated rattlesnake bites quite often at Loma Linda Med Center. There's a TeeVee program entitled "Venom E.R." that was made at that facility. My wife lost a pet dog to one. I recall a leisurely family day at my home in Orange County Ca. I looked down and a rattler had coiled up right beneath my Moms chair. Must have been a birds of a feather deal. To keep her from freaking and probably getting bit I calmly asked her to help in the kitchen. Once out of range I turned her around and showed her the peril. Then she freaked. Y'all may have heard that. It was the summer of 94 I think. Any remember a spine curdling squeal of eminent death around that time?

Yes, Yes I heard it. It was more like a squeal that a yelp. I remember asking my wife "what is that sound?" She told me she thought it was a caw-caw bird mating.

Yes I heard it and I live in Baltimore, Maryland.

[ They are tasty buggers, the cowboy's at the ranch love to eat them (me too). Taste like chicken, really.

Doesn't everything odd taste like chicken?

Snake Pot Pie?

Snake and Lobster?

Snakerdoodles?

Snake and Beer?

Snakesicles?

Rum and Snake?

Snake Souffle?

Snake Jerky?

Snake Helper?

No, I believe it's a frog that get's the dubious honor of being the most venomous creature known to man. But as far as snakes, your correct, sea snakes are highly venomous and regarded as being the most venomous of snakes. The most aggressive snake and highly venomous goes to the black mamba's of Africa. They will chase after you, and you havn't got long once your bitten. I've seen the puff adders in Africa, they look very similar to our rattlers, but with no rattle. I saw 9ft long dead mamba that our tracker killed, and brought back for a little show an tell. Huge snakes, and I was told, very mean or aggressive. They will come after you with minimal provoking. I actually feel kind of sorry for the rattlers in our part of the country though. They are not as plentiful as they use to be, but I still kill them when I come across them. Their real threat comes from Fairs such as the annual snake round-up. Literally 1000's of people go and search them out for these big festivals. Freer, Texas holds one of the largest rattle snake roundups that I've attended. Talk about everything rattle snake.... belts, wallets, boots, slippers (yes slippers), canes, hats.... and every rattle snake dish you can think of. They are tasty buggers, the cowboy's at the ranch love to eat them (me too). Taste like chicken, really.

Here's another photo of the same snakes.... it more clearly shows why their called diamondbacks. Beautiful snakes, they really are.

I read up on some of this, what is weird is the rating system. Frogs and newts are the most poisonous (poison and venom are different from what I read. Venom injected, poison swallowed... frogs use it as defense to prevent being eaten with the bitter taste, snakes use it offensive and defensive but inject with fangs) Seems the Sea Wasp or jelly fish is the most venomous.

Though little mention of the conus that I talked about there was a pretty nice article here http://poseidon.se/articles.asp?ArticID=24&typ=20&Fran=0&LangID=4

....... their more affraid of you than you are of them.

How did you determine this?

From more than 35 years of living, eating and breathing South Texas brush country, and just a few years of catching and selling snakes.

[ They are tasty buggers, the cowboy's at the ranch love to eat them (me too). Taste like chicken, really.

Doesn't everything odd taste like chicken?

Snake Pot Pie?

Snake and Lobster?

Snakerdoodles?

Snake and Beer?

Snakesicles?

Rum and Snake?

Snake Souffle?

Snake Jerky?

Snake Helper?

Stop, stop..... your making me hungry, but Snake Helper [:|]

Here's a little quicky collage of photos I have on my work computer.... I've got some really good photos on my home pc and lap top though.

Enjoy.... South Texas, Web County, La Salle County and Zapata County, my ole stomping grounds....

post-12381-1381933486908_thumb.jpg

....... their more affraid of you than you are of them.

How did you determine this?

From more than 35 years of living, eating and breathing South Texas brush country, and just a few years of catching and selling snakes.

But did the snakes share with you that they are more afraid of us than we are of them?

If they did share this with you, in what language did they share it?

It taste's like sage and dirt.

It's not only the snakes you need to worry about though, black widows, brown recluses, scorpions, huge yellow jacket wasps, tarantula killing wasps, and trap door tarantula's also readily inhabit the area. If those don't get you the thorn plants and prickly pear cacti will. C'mon down sometime and we'll see how brave you are.

It taste's like sage and dirt.

It's not only the snakes you need to worry about though, black widows, brown recluses, scorpions, huge yellow jacket wasps, tarantula killing wasps, and trap door tarantula's also readily inhabit the area. If those don't get you the thorn plants and prickly pear cacti will. C'mon down sometime and we'll see how brave you are.

Yeah, but we've got these!

And they LIVE in your lawn!

And there's MILLIONS of them!

And they won't go away no matter what you do!

Oh it's horrible let me tell you....

post-17373-13819334903022_thumb.jpg